Sub auto-calibration question

Systolic

Systolic

Audioholic Intern
When using the auto calibration in an AVR, if you run it, and it turns the line level to the sub up or down a tad, (i.e. +.5db, -2db, etc.), wouldn't it make sense to just adjust the level of your sub to reach zero on the auto cal?

I mean, most AVRs suggest running auto-cal with the sub at 12 or 1 o'clock, but that level is going to be slightly different on every sub. So wouldn't the ideal thing to do be to adjust the sub level to meet 0 on the auto cal, rather than having the AVR adjust the signal? That way, the sub is receiving more of a reference line level, and the sub's amp is doing the work instead of the AVR preamp.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I usually rerun on one position until I have it dialed in at zero. There's no real advantageous reason to do this, but it helps me remember where my setting should be at if I adjust it due to different material.

Systolic

Systolic

Audioholic Intern
I emailed SVS and this was their response. They replied in like 20 minutes. Top notch service.

"We typically recommend running auto cal with the sub level at around 12-1 o'clock in most average size rooms. This will usually land the sub level somewhere between -3 and -10, which is ideal. This way, you can leave the subwoofer volume dial alone and adjust the sub volume with the sub trim control in the AVR. You don’t necessarily need to have the trim level at 0 to hit "reference".
If the sub channel comes back at -5 say, this is where the cal system had to set the sub channel to hit 75dB, which is the target for most cal systems. From there, it gives you room to turn the sub channel up a bit without throwing the system out of balance and getting into the positive range (which can eventually cause digital clipping if adjusted high enough). Hope that clears things up for you!"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis