Sub at -12db after Audyssey

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I ended up using YPAO, and playing around with the gain until I got it to set at -5.0. That was about a little north of 9 o'clock. It turned out that was a little less bass for my liking, so I adjusted the gain back up to a little before 12, keeping the receiver settings as per YPAO.

Strangely, YPAO set my front speakers to large with crossover set at 40 Hz., even though a sub was present. I have a 2.1 system at the moment. I had to switch my speakers back to small and my crossover back up to 90 Hz.
Audyssey would do that with my bookshelf speakers. I think the cutoff is like 40 hz or something to be considered large?

Are you able to adjust trim levels in your receiver? I'd put it back to 9 o'clock when you were getting -5 trim then adjust the bass channel up or down using the receiver until you get what you like.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Audyssey would do that with my bookshelf speakers. I think the cutoff is like 40 hz or something to be considered large?

Are you able to adjust trim levels in your receiver? I'd put it back to 9 o'clock when you were getting -5 trim then adjust the bass channel up or down using the receiver until you get what you like.
Why digital vs. analog gain?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why adjust digital trim instead of analog gain?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
You can match it up just the way you like it without moving from the mlp. I never touch the gain on my subs after room calibration. I do all of my adjusting from the receiver menu. I guess I don't like getting up, turning the gain knob, sitting back down and see if I like it, wash rinse repeat.

Why not use the digital trim? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me not to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I ended up using YPAO, and playing around with the gain until I got it to set at -5.0. That was about a little north of 9 o'clock. It turned out that was a little less bass for my liking, so I adjusted the gain back up to a little before 12, keeping the receiver settings as per YPAO.

Strangely, YPAO set my front speakers to large with crossover set at 40 Hz., even though a sub was present. I have a 2.1 system at the moment. I had to switch my speakers back to small and my crossover back up to 90 Hz.
AVR marketing dept doesn't want to tell you your stuff is "small". How does it set both a crossover and speaker to large?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Forgot to mention that I have 2 subs also. It would be a pita to get them gain matched or level matched running back and forth between the 2 adjusting the knob on the backs of the subwoofers. Pretty sure I'd end up with crap that way.

I let my receiver level match them then run Audyssey. If they need any adjusting I do it from the menu.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
How do you know which is which and why would it matter?
If one was inferior than the other, then I wouldn't want to use it.

So would defer to the greater knowledge of the forum about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
You can match it up just the way you like it without moving from the mlp. I never touch the gain on my subs after room calibration. I do all of my adjusting from the receiver menu. I guess I don't like getting up, turning the gain knob, sitting back down and see if I like it, wash rinse repeat.

Why not use the digital trim? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me not to.
So calibrate to -5 for the sub using the auto calibration and then adjust digital trim after?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So calibrate to -5 for the sub using the auto calibration and then adjust digital trim after?

Why would one be inferior?
If one was inferior than the other, then I wouldn't want to use it.

So would defer to the greater knowledge of the forum about that.

So you really have no idea when the pre-amp is working on a digital or analog basis? Even then, why would it matter?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I would calibrate it so it's somewhere around -9 to -5 or so then use the menu in the receiver to trim (or bump) levels.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Why would one be inferior?

So you really have no idea when the pre-amp is working on a digital or analog basis? Even then, why would it matter?
I don't know, possibly clipping?

Because other people can tell me reasons why it would matter or not, and then I can use that additional knowledge to make a more educated judgement.

Forums are excellent learning tools.

Last edited:
Roen

Roen

Audioholic
I would calibrate it so it's somewhere around -9 to -5 or so then use the menu in the receiver to trim (or bump) levels.
I tried that, set the gain for -5 post-calibration and ended up bumping the level to +1.5.

I don't really like having positive level from the receiver as my previous experience with relative volume is only with digital equalizers, and I've always tried to avoid bumping levels past zero as much as I could.

I might redo this tomorrow aiming for -9 and then bumping from there.

I wonder why YPAO likes to level match my front two speakers at 0,0.5 instead of -0.5,0.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis