Stuck between a Paradigm & a B&W

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I'm pulling my hair out, Paradigm Monitor 9's vs. B&W 684.

684 a bit beefier bass, lower sensitivity(90) a softer sound

9's Less bass super efficient (94) a bit more in your face, just a bit........

Any insight from owners would be great.

THANKS!!:):confused::eek:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The final decision always comes down to you. For long listening periods -
you may not want the in your face sound. The monitors tend to come
up a little short on the bass. Paradigm speakers use to be less sensitive.
Paradigm and Klipsch tend to be in a lot of places together - and the
Klipsch would stand out more. Louder does not mean it will sound better.
The Monitors seem to lack resolution in the midrange. Take it easy on
your hair.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Did you take some good Phish shows to check them both out? How did they sound to you? I myself like the B&W sound but I have never heard the 9's...I do like a in your face type speaker though

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
The price difference is, drum roll please....one dollar!! Paradigm up by a buck.

$1099
$1100

I listened to the Waves from the IT fest. I like mike in that version alot. It's such a soft and sometimes bright jam. Then your face starts to melt off.
Link for those interested, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=428ovHwpwuE

I also listened to Dire Straits, Menahan Street Band, And TAB at the TAB.

Paradigm says they took a little away from the low end to make them more sensitive/efficent. Basically you need a sub.

I'm only pulling out my grey hairs now.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The price difference is, drum roll please....one dollar!! Paradigm up by a buck.

$1099
$1100
You may have to pull out a quarter and coin toss it. Heads = B&W

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
B&W bro............
Over the Monitors? I definitely might maybe could probably agree with you on this.

BTW I'm of the opinion that Jamie knows stuff.
I'd be inclined to give his recommendation serious consideration for rock and roll speakers. ;)

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I would really like to know (obviously I'll go and listen for myself) which one preforms better at lower volumes.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I love my B+W's although they are an older model. I would still leave it up to your ears though.

D

Docks

Audioholic
B&W 684/683's didnt impress at all... I suggest you look further. Never heard the paradigm monitors. You could pick up a lightly used pair of paradigm studios for that price if you looked around a bit too.
Just my opinion though! Best of luck :D

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I would really like to know (obviously I'll go and listen for myself) which one preforms better at lower volumes.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'm happy with my 9's, as part of my HT. Coupled with a good subwoofer, I wouldn't consider the deeper extension of the B&W's to be a big deal. The 9's are indeed, "in your face", but for HT and R & R, I think they're great.

I've heard the 685 and 686, but not the 684. I wasn't impressed by the bookshelves, but have no idea if that would be reflective of the entire line. Since I haven't compared them, I can't say which sounds better at lower volumes.

I demoed the 9's in my home alongside the Polk RTiA 7s and liked the 9's better - obviously, since they are the ones that stayed. They're in a larg-ish room, so the extra sensitivity is a bonus. I also compared the 9's with the 7's and found the 7's to be less forward, if that's of any interest to you. If you plan to set your towers to "small" in your AVR, bass extension should not be a huge concern.

C

clouso

Banned
I have owned the monitor series for over 5 years...''monitor 11v5''...and i can assure you that they deliver!...for movies and music!...in that price range im telling you they compete very well!.

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
I owned a pair of monitor 11v4 I ran them with an Integra 5.6 then Rotel 1068/RB 1070. I didn't find them foward at all, I was looking at the B&W 604 floor stander it was a little more than the Paradigm 11v4. The B&W's seemed to go lower but I never heard them side by side. I know the 11's sound good in my room great for movies. Like some others have said flip a coin if they are close in price I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

G

goatsniffer

Audiophyte
BW or Paradigm

I just demod the Monitor 9....ok i guess
they are on sale for $449 each right now at Ovation in indianapolis
i am also wanting to demo the B&W 684 but just had a monkey wrench thrown in by another brand

Zu has a new speaker called Omen and is supposedly a tremendous value
Looks very nice and has a wooden body
I have an opportunity to get and try at home and if i don't like return with free shipping

They stipulate the speakers has impedance = 12 ohms

I may try

I was also looking at the Focal 714v and was told that the new Zu Omen is 10x the speaker

T

TommyTom83

Junior Audioholic
I have had B&w 604s3's and currently own b&w 683's Htm-61 and 686's(rear channels) I love them, they sound much better once broken in. However, IF you have the dough, check out the CM line especially the cm-7 since they are being replaced with the cm-8 you might be able to find a great deal on pair. They sound awesome, I may move my 68x's series into another room and replace them with CM's they sound that good. Just make sure you demo them in a true HiFi shop and not Magnolia, as it wont do them justice if you use magnolia for your demo.

90gstman

Audioholic Intern
The best advice is to bring your own music to play in the showroom. It doesn't realy matter if the music the dealer likes sounds good on those speakers. Also, don't be afraid to move the speakers around. If your going to be using them pushed up against a wall, do the same in the showroom, etc.

And last, if they will alow you, ask to demo them at home for a day or two. If they alow this, they usualy ask for a credit card "in case you run".

Your opinion is the only one that matters!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis