Stuck Between 2 stereo speakers

G

gotxquattro

Audiophyte
I am a new poster here so hello to everyone. I work for a home entertainment company and am always around these speakers. I am torn between 2 and I know there both excellent speakers but wanted everyone elses opinion is. The 2 speakers that are keeping me mentally torn are the B&W CM9 floor standing or the Martin Logan Vantages. My company and store sell both and I have had extensive time with both but I cant seem to make up my mind. Please everyone let me know what you think !

- Rizzo

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I am a new poster here so hello to everyone. I work for a home entertainment company and am always around these speakers. I am torn between 2 and I know there both excellent speakers but wanted everyone elses opinion is. The 2 speakers that are keeping me mentally torn are the B&W CM9 floor standing or the Martin Logan Vantages. My company and store sell both and I have had extensive time with both but I cant seem to make up my mind. Please everyone let me know what you think !

- Rizzo
1: What does the owner of your company or salemen think is best for your particular needs?

2: What are your particular needs? Room size, multichannel, related equipment these will be used with (like a subwoofer), etc., etc.?

G

gotxquattro

Audiophyte
1: What does the owner of your company or salemen think is best for your particular needs?

2: What are your particular needs? Room size, multichannel, related equipment these will be used with (like a subwoofer), etc., etc.?
the other guys I work with say either or because they truely are great speakers. I will be using them for movies, music , video games and pretty much everything. if i get the CM9 I will get a sub. Otherwise going with the logan vantages they have built in 8" subs

- Rizzo

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Built in 8" sub means nothing... it just means the vantage design struggles to reproduce mid-bass so it needs a traditional driver to do handle that aspect. Although 34hz extension is nice, you're still missing nearly an octave of sound, not to mention subsonics You will still need a true dedicated 12" or 15" subwoofer for real bass. I recommend two Rythmik FV25s.

Anyways I would get the Vantages personally. What is the impedance graph on them?

Last edited:
G

gotxquattro

Audiophyte
Built in 8" sub means nothing... it just means the vantage can't reproduce bass so it needs a traditional driver to do it. You will still need a true dedicated 12" subwoofer for real bass.

Anyways I would get the Vantages personally.
trust me I understand it would still be nice to have a separate sub I setup home theater systems all day long but the issue is for now im in a 15x20 room so its going to be loud no matter what for bass response

- Rizzo

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Small room and heartier? I would get the com (or com). For a larger room where I could play with room acoustics: I couldn't resist playing with the panels

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
If the option is B&W and a powered sub, or ML without, I vote B&W.

No contest. You will just be missing out without a stand alone powered sub. Not to mention placement issues.

G

gotxquattro

Audiophyte
If the option is B&W and a powered sub, or ML without, I vote B&W.

No contest. You will just be missing out without a stand alone powered sub. Not to mention placement issues.
You would say the B&W just because im not using a sub? What about just speaker quality between the both I know there totally different but thats the real issue at hand. So forget about the sub for now

- Rizzo

J

jamie2112

Banned
You would say the B&W just because im not using a sub? What about just speaker quality between the both I know there totally different but thats the real issue at hand. So forget about the sub for now

- Rizzo
I like the B&W because the sound is more forward than the ML's.I am not a ML fan even though one of my mastering friends use ML's to check his mixes before turning them in.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan

- Rizzo
I believe the speaker quality has been touched on. Looks as though ML had to add 8" subs to accommodate for lack of FR.

I have not heard the ML, just judging by your remarks of being torn between the two. If it is that close, and you will get to ADD a powered sub to one of the pairs, then...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Go with the one that you like best for music - if you still can't decide,
then take out a quarter and flip it. Heads for Martin Logan and tails
for B&W.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic

- Rizzo
If you want to play the speaker loud planars aren't that good. That being said is hard to beat a planar from 400Hz to 4Khz. Personally I'd go with Martin Logan - it may not be that loud but sounds great.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis