Stuck at detecting devices

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
HP M8530F desktop, trying to install a sony bdu-x10s drive. Problem is, when the drive is connected and i turn on the pc, the computer gets stuck at the "detecting storage devices" screen. If the drive is not connected it starts up as it should.

If I connect the dvd drive after the computer is turned on, the drive is usable and detected.
Windows 10 pro.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
HP M8530F desktop, trying to install a sony bdu-x10s drive. Problem is, when the drive is connected and i turn on the pc, the computer gets stuck at the "detecting storage devices" screen. If the drive is not connected it starts up as it should.

If I connect the dvd drive after the computer is turned on, the drive is usable and detected.
Windows 10 pro.
Have you installed the most up to date Windows 10 drivers for that Sony drive on your computer? If not do that first. That assumes there are drivers for Windows 10. As far as I can tell the last driver update was 2008! You can search further, but I don't think that drive is compatible with operating systems later than Vista by intent, but may be by luck.

Also that drive is not compatible with SATA controllers and has to be connected directly to a SATA port on the mother board, other wise Windows will not recognize the driver properly.

I think you need a brand new shiny up to date drive.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Could it possibly be a dead battery on the board?

Would putting a switch on the power for that drive enable me to turn on the drive only when needed (instead of unplugging and plugging back in). Since the pc won't boot with it connected, but the drive works after the pc is booted?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Could it possibly be a dead battery on the board?

Would putting a switch on the power for that drive enable me to turn on the drive only when needed (instead of unplugging and plugging back in). Since the pc won't boot with it connected, but the drive works after the pc is booted?
that has nothing to do with drivers or battery. Windows 10 has built in drivers for generic optical. that should've worked out of the box. I think your old drive is kaput.
I suggest rather drastic measure - get a new $50 optical drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135247

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
The only part I'm lost about, and why Im not jumping to get a new drive is bc I can watch blurays, rip and burn cds, as long as the drive is connected after the pc is turned on.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
The "detecting drives" status message... Is this prior to Windows loading? Sounds like it's hanging the BIOS drive detection. Resolving this will likely require either installing an updated BIOS or an updated firmware on the drive. Looks like the latest BIOS version is version 5.29, published August 2012. See the HP M8530F driver page. Latest firmware for the drive is 1.0d published in 2008, and can be found here.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The "detecting drives" status message... Is this prior to Windows loading? Sounds like it's hanging the BIOS drive detection. Resolving this will likely require either installing an updated BIOS or an updated firmware on the drive. Looks like the latest BIOS version is version 5.29, published August 2012. See the HP M8530F driver page. Latest firmware for the drive is 1.0d published in 2008, and can be found here.
That is what I think, but I defer to Bored. He pulls rank on me on this.

If he has a SOTA controller that is the problem, as what the OP is experiencing always happens with this drive if that is the case according to the SONY web site.

This really is nonsense. If he keeps fiddling with plugs, he will soon be out more than the cost of a new drive.

I really don't understand why he is wedded to a drive that old! He just needs to replace it.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That is what I think, but I defer to Bored. He pulls rank on me on this.

If he has a SOTA controller that is the problem, as what the OP is experiencing always happens with this drive if that is the case according to the SONY web site.

This really is nonsense. If he keeps fiddling with plugs, he will soon be out more than the cost of a new drive.

I really don't understand why he is wedded to a drive that old! He just needs to replace it.
I suspect the drive is new to him. I searched eBay for a replacement drive to suggest, and that specific model Sony drive is the first full size BD-ROM I found in the list sorted by price + shipping.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This is not without merit. Updating BIOS might help, I'd also try connect to different sata port and change the sata cable.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
This is not without merit. Updating BIOS might help, I'd also try connect to different sata port and change the sata cable.
I'd also thought if all else fails, buying a more modern pci-e sata controller would be a possible soution if OP is hesitant to buy a newer drive. A SATA -> USB adapter might also work. Google tells me that a 2X BD-ROM reads at 54mbits / sec, while USB 2.0 = 480mbits / sec.

If I were in the market for a BD-ROM drive, I'd just keep stalking Ben's Bargains, Dealnews, Antirebate, deals.woot!, and other such deal aggregators. Considering one can get a brand new burner for only $20 or so more than OP's decade-old 2X reader, it's worth a bit of time and patience to shop around.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

The only part I'm lost about, and why Im not jumping to get a new drive is bc I can watch blurays, rip and burn cds, as long as the drive is connected after the pc is turned on.
Get into BIOS and look at the boot order and see if the BR drive is listed before you hard disk.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis