Struggling with a tough decision today

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I've mentioned on the dog posts that my black lab is getting pretty old. He's 16 years old which is a good number of years beyond what most labs live. His right hind leg has been getting bad and I suspect it's the hip. He is now having far more bad days than good. The glucosamine helped for a while but a bad joint is a bad joint. His right rear leg is so bad now that he is usually walking angled between 30 and 45 degrees because the right leg is so weak the left leg pushes his back end sideways.

A couple of nights ago, I saw him walking past the back door. Normally, I could just open the back door and he'd hop inside the house. He just looked at me like "no way in hell can I do those two steps tonight" and kept walking to the garage where I built a ramp for him to get in the house. He's walking sideways enough now that he has started to fall off the side of the ramp because it's not wide enough (23" wide).

I think it's time to call the vet and make an appointment. I hate to do it, but he is having so much trouble walking and looks like he's in pain. He is so bad he circles a good 5-10 times before he can finally get the back end down to lay down. It's a tough decision and I'm really struggling today.

Any thoughts or advice? My other dog was a lot easier a couple of years ago. She had what I can best describe as a stroke. She couldn't walk unassisted. It was pretty clear cut. Hard, but a clear decision. This one isn't so easy.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ive been in this situation a few times and the advice I give each time is the same: Would you wont to live only to be miserable and prolong the pain and suffering? The decision, albeit sad, is about the animal and their well being. A good vet will always give the advice for humane treatment at end of live. Hopefully you will be able to come to terms with it and not have anything but great memories. The grief will pass sooner knowing you made the right decision for him. Good luck and God bless.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't wait and never publicly talk about feelings you don't have.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It's time to visit the vet. I think you already know the correct course of action.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had to make that decision a number of times too and it will never be easy. Sounds like it is the right decision and time is very near. It is hard to know exactly when, but they will let you know. I'm really sorry to hear that.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Thanks, guys. It's tough. I made the call and set up an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning. Tonight, he gets fed well. It's a beautiful day outside so I'll let him hang out in the yard this evening as he enjoys it.

Hard decision and it's good that I have my own business as I wasn't in any shape to talk with people after making the call. It's hard after 16 years. But it is the right thing to do for him. Doesn't make it any easier, but he is in pain and I can see the fear in his eyes when he falls.

16 years. Never caught a rabbit or a mouse. He caught a rock once. He's not smart...more like the one on the short bus with a helmet and belted in. Other dog used to run him into trees and such because he wouldn't pay attention to where they were running. Or in winter, they'd run side by side and she'd grab him by the ear and drag his head won until it caught in the snow and he'd go ass over teakettle. He'd hop right up with tongue hanging out, ready to go again. Good memories.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you're a true animal lover (and I believe you are), the way they look at you when they are struggling and in pain tells you all you need to know.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
One promise I have made to all the dogs I have ever owned is I will never let them suffer. It's always a very hard decision but you know when it's time.

Make sure you try a prescription NSAID before you give up. It took our big dog from barely being able to move, back to 85% capacity.

***EDIT*** I just realized that you wrote this yesterday and you have an appointment this morning. Please don't second guess whatever decision you made, only you can make the correct one.

Peace be with you and let me know if you need anything.

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
It's sometimes difficult to tell if the dog is really suffering or you're projecting the pain you feel inside onto the dog.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. It's been a rough morning but he is pain free now. Novox & other drugs got him this far & through the winter. The leg/hip were just so bad. I probably should have made the call sooner, but it's tough to make the decision. He had a good 16 years. Some of his best years were with us on a 20 acre farm. It doesn't get much better than that for a dog.

A local no kill shelter will take his food & treats.

He got a cheeseburger & fries last night. The look on his face was pretty cool. He was clearly happy to eat it. Gave him cake this morning. What the hell, too late to worry about what it would do to him.

I think he had other issues too. Given his activity level & his food consumption, he should have been gaining weight. He wasn't.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
It's sometimes difficult to tell if the dog is really suffering or you're projecting the pain you feel inside onto the dog.
Not much projection going when they have fallen and can't get up. The big eyes & whimpering pretty much tells it all.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
So sorry. One of the hardest thing a man ever has to do. But in time, the memory of the 16 years will eclipse those of the last week.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, man. I'm so very sorry. I can understand the emotions that you must have had, especially coming on here to ask advice (as I'm sure you were talking this through with others at home). As others have said, though, deep down you already knew what you felt the right thing to do was. It just takes time to accept it. I struggle with the idea because we can't ask them what they want, and we're making that final decision for them.

Like the other guys said, try to focus on the 16 years of friendship that you shared. Not that it's over, but that you were able to give him that. So many dogs (and other animals, and people) never have that. I bet he absolutely loved being on that farm! I always wished that I could have given Niki freedom like that, but we all do what we can with what we have. Just know that you were a good friend to him.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
So sorry to here. RIP good dog. (Rowdy correct?)

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
So sorry to here. RIP good dog. (Rowdy correct?)
Yep, Rowdy was his name. Afraid of the hairbrush and pretty much even if you looked at his cross-eyed. But he was big and sounded tough if strangers came to the door. So that was good!

Struggling a bit as I have to break bad habits. He was good at scanning the kitchen floor for crumbs, scraps, etc. Basically anything that hit the floor and didn't get immediately picked up. Well, he's not thereto do it anymore. So I need to find the broom and start cleaning up after myself before the wife gets to angry at me.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Last November we lost our rescue dog Sam who had more medical issues than I've ever seen. Diabetes, hip dysplasia , tore ligaments in both knees and had knee braces, pancreatitis, cataracts... Then he got gall bladder cancer and we put him down when he got malignant fluid around his lungs and couldn't breathe well.

Our healthy one, Abra, started having diahrrea and sleeping more so we had her checked out Monday. She has lymphoma in her liver and spleen plus abdominal lymph nodes and an ugly adrenal cancer that has invaded her vena cava. They got her tuned up and today she is perky and active but on a bunch of meds including two for heavy duty pain. But it won't be long...She is so loyal and loving. Stands guard outside all evening for us at her ferocious fighting weight of ten pounds.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Last November we lost our rescue dog Sam who had more medical issues than I've ever seen. Diabetes, hip dysplasia , tore ligaments in both knees and had knee braces, pancreatitis, cataracts... Then he got gall bladder cancer and we put him down when he got malignant fluid around his lungs and couldn't breathe well.

Our healthy one, Abra, started having diahrrea and sleeping more so we had her checked out Monday. She has lymphoma in her liver and spleen plus abdominal lymph nodes and an ugly adrenal cancer that has invaded her vena cava. They got her tuned up and today she is perky and active but on a bunch of meds including two for heavy duty pain. But it won't be long...She is so loyal and loving. Stands guard outside all evening for us at her ferocious fighting weight of ten pounds.
That's tough, Dan. But those pet owners here know the what you are going through. Doesn't make it any easier, but we can sympathize. Hang in there and do the best for them.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry to hear about that. I can't imagine what I will do when the time comes for my cat to go. That animal has me wrapped around her paw.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
So sorry, Dan. Always breaks my heart. I had a friend at work who refused to get a dog for his kids because he wanted to avoid the heartbreak when it died. As hard as it is, I think the love and joy while they're alive are worth it. In time, that is always what you remember the most. Hang in there, pal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis