L

LucasG

Enthusiast
Has anyone here done this wirelessly or through a network from a computer to a receiver? I dont want a HTPC but would still like some control at the reciever (changing tracks and selecting playlists). Onkyo has a net-tune receiver called the NC-500 that looks like it will do what I want it to but I would like to have some input before I start buying.

Thanks,
Lucas

superstar

superstar

Junior Audioholic
I'm pretty happy with this however you cannot change it at the receiver's end.

Roku has the ability to change the tracks from a remote control but you will not be able to play DRM songs.

Last edited:
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Suqeeze Box 3

Check out the Squeeze Box 3 from SlimDevices/Logitech. It will wirelessly stream lossles audio from a PC to your receiver and includes high end D/A converters. You can control the playback with a remote.

From what I have read, the audio streaming built into most new receivers (Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc.) is quirky, difficult to navigate, and in some cases doen't work.

L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
i second squeeze box as well. I use an older version of the server to s tream music to my work to listen to. I use the odler version since the newer version crashes. But it's awesome.

L

LucasG

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. The Roku looks pretty appealing for the price. Turns out a guy I work with just got one so I'll see what he thinks.

Thanks again,
Lucas

T

trailertrash

Enthusiast
another option is an airport express ($100) from apple with airfoil ($25). if you use airfoil you dont have to use itunes. you can play anything off your computer through the airport.

as a side note, i have been trying to send dts encoded streams to the airport through airfoil and it doesnt work. it crashes airfoil. you can do this on a mac it seems. the mac version of airfoil seems a little more advanced. i have downloaded the Pink Floyd DSOTM quad mix and can play it on my pc with VLC or PowerDVD. If I can get airfoil to pass DTS I will have bypassed the analog only output restriction of DVD-A.

T

techster82

Audioholic Intern
I have been looking at the Apple iTV to accomplish music transfer, as well as video. Have you looked at it as an option?

T

trailertrash

Enthusiast
I have been looking at the Apple iTV to accomplish music transfer, as well as video. Have you looked at it as an option?

unless you are willing to hack it you are only allowed to play media through itunes. this device may be a good first attempt but the itunes limitation is a real deal breaker.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the replies. The Roku looks pretty appealing for the price. Turns out a guy I work with just got one so I'll see what he thinks.

Thanks again,
Lucas

I use the Roku 1001 and I love it. One note though, I highly recommend a high speed internet connection because you cannot update the firmware through a dial-up.

T

techster82

Audioholic Intern
What is this dial-up you speak of?

Good point about the iTV being compatible with iTunes out of the box. This isn't a big concern for me as I use itunes to manage my entire music collection and think it does a great job. My only concern would be on streaming videos to the TV outside of ones you purchase at itunes. What programs are you guys favoring to do this?

superstar

superstar

Junior Audioholic
If you are looking into streaming movies as well, forget about the Itv and look into getting a modified xbox with XBOX Media Center, cheaper than an Itv and with no limitations, you will be able to manage your music/videos from a compatible universal remote (logitech).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis