Stickey tips and tricks

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Perhaps we can make a "Tips and Tricks/ Known solutions to common issues" thread in the Amps, Pre-Pros & Receivers Section. Information like this is priceless and with little knowledge of what to look for, an AV noob would only chance upon it.

On this ancient thread, there were some useful posts that were buried deep and serendipitously showed up on searches made by Google savvy folks. Heck, I did not even know about the thread until it recently resurfaced.

I have downloaded your manual. You have left out the odd step. This is the procedure from your manual: -

1 Switch the receiver on.
2 While holding down the TONE button,
press and hold the

STANDBY/ON
button for about three seconds.
3 When you see RESET? appear in the
display, press the TONE button.
OK?
shows in the display.
4 Press TONE once more to confirm.
OK
appears in the display to indicate that the
receiver has been reset to the factory default
settings.

If you can not reset the receiver this way, the outlook for it is bad. At the very least the BIOS is corrupted and more likley the DSP board is destroyed.

With a receiver of that age it is unlikley repair will make economic sense, but by all means see if a reapair shop will give you an estimate.

When you have it repaired, or buy a new receiver, include a UPS in the budget.
I had the exact same thing happen to me several months back. I tried using the reset method in the manual but it didn't work and spent a few months looking for a place to fix it. It sat at one repair shop for over a month and they couldn't fix it and then I contacted Pioneer and I happened to be a few miles from their best repair shop. They had it fixed within the hour. All they did was press and hold ENTER and ADVANCED SURROUND on the front panel for 2 seconds. I sure hope this helps you before you have to go through the trouble I did. My receiver is the VSX-D812-K, but they are pretty similar and it should work.

Note: I think the front standby light needs to at least be visible when the receiver is plugged in for this to work. If you try and turn the receiver on and nothing happens but the red light is still visible then this method will work. Otherwise, it means your power supply is probably fried. Also, I wouldn't recommend opening up your receiver in the future as it voids the warranty in most cases. Also, Pioneer has an extensive repair network and are very helpful if you contact them.
Information would have to be moderator controlled to prevent junk and spam.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis