davlaf

davlaf

Enthusiast
Hi there,

Soon, I will assemble all the parts of my speakers. I wanted to stick all the wood panels together, but a friend said I should stick and screw them together. Thats why I'm posting here today. So what do you think I should do?

Thank you,
David Lafleur

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
If you're building an enclosure, you need to glue the seams together

majorloser

majorloser

If you are talking about the cabinets, I'd use glue and biscuits for most of the joints with finishing nails to hold things while the glue dries. You can use screws for the drivers and for areas where bracing may be required. When using screws on the outside of the cabinet they must be properly counter-sunk, filled and sanded prior to applying the laminate.

A properly glued joint will hold stronger than screws. Add biscuits and it's even stronger.

F

Fierce Mice

Audioholic Intern
This reponse is probably too late for davlaf, but maybe for future reference =)

Another alternative to biscuits is pocket holes (Kreg is one brand name). Jigs aren't too expensive, pocket holes are easy to do, and they have the added advantage of a mechanical fastener (the screw) in addition to the glued joint. The screw also acts to clamp the joint together, so you'll likely need fewer clamps to ensure the joint doesn't separate before the glue dries.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis