Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well, he knows better than to take a picture and allow a self-portrait in the reflection. :p :D
Interestingly enough, I had a phone date with another Audioholic not too long ago that turned into a Skype date. I was a bit nervous that it was going to turn into a video chat since this was at 10PM and I was in my PJs. Fortunately, the other side initiated a voice chat only, presumably because he wasn't exactly wearing an Armani suit at the time either :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Interestingly enough, I had a phone date with another Audioholic not too long ago that turned into a Skype date. I was a bit nervous that it was going to turn into a video chat since this was at 10PM and I was in my PJs. Fortunately, the other side initiated a voice chat only, presumably because he wasn't exactly wearing an Armani suit at the time either :D
The only two Audioholics that I've ever spoken to on the phone were Alex and The Deuce.

I don't answer my phone anymore...

:D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The only two Audioholics that I've ever spoken to on the phone were Alex and The Deuce.

I don't answer my phone anymore...

:D
Fortunately the world is blessed with your beautiful speaking voice courtesy of all your video reviews :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Now that I know you don't kiss and tell, let's do a video chat after our wives go to sleep and I'll wear my PJs too.

Signed,
Rick

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looking good and would have never notice unless the wire If you didn't mention painting it. So how does it sound and what make are they? Congrats and enjoy them.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Thanks! I've moved from Klipsch to KEF, with a pair of Q700's and a Q600c up front, and the Q800ds' as surrounds.

So far I'm finding the sound to be quite good. The surrounds are definitely an interesting contrast from what I'm used to. Of course the most satisfying difference is playing music in pure direct mode. Where the RF-5s always lacked a full bodied sound IMO (and I fiddled with placement quite a bit), the Q700s give a good accounting of themselves, even at lower volumes.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Looks good, man. But...

...would have never notice unless the wire If you didn't mention painting it.
...it was like the first thing that I saw. :D

As for the second thing that I noticed...I'm sure that you hear this all the time when people see your column, but that's some serious wood that you've got there. :eek: :p

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Looks good, man. But...

...it was like the first thing that I saw. :D
It's admittedly not perfect, but a lot better than the copper wire I had hanging there before, and 100 times better than the towers firing mostly into the back of the sectional.

As for the second thing that I noticed...I'm sure that you hear this all the time when people see your column, but that's some serious wood that you've got there. :eek: :p
Nah, you're the first to make that comment :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it isn't too hard to see, but at least it is well integrated. Probably picked up more by the camera than it would in person. Not too much you can do to hide that besides in wall.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Things that bug my little OCD mind today: the difference between my right and left surround channels. On the left side, I get a veritable wall of sound; on the right, not so much. Is something wrong with the speakers? I'm guessing no. There's an actual wall there for the sound to reflect from on the left whereas on the right the wall comes to an end as you approach the stairs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have the same problem with my surrounds. One is out in space with no side wall and the other sits near the wall. The Emo's calibration seems to have gotten them right though, because it doesn't seem to pull to one side.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So the wife and son are off to grandma's house, which leaves me with some free time on my hands. In honor of ATDG, my latest experiment is ditching Audyssey. So far so good sound-wise, and I actually utilized the built in PEQs of the PB13 for once, with a 3dB cut to tame a small peak around 45Hz, and a small boost to help out a small to moderate dip around 60Hz. Interestingly, the response in the bottom octaves now flatter at the main listening position than Audyssey ever got it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I found the EmoQ cleaned things up, but also dialed it down a bit. When it set it to 150Hz, it was overbearing. After cutting it back to 80Hz, it is right for most things, but lacking on some. I have to go back and do a manual recalibration (hopefully this week) on the Oppo via analog. As I mentioned in another thread though, I typically listen to music via analog and mostly in direct mode from the Oppo. Movies sound better with the EQ IMO, but music still sounds better without it.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis