adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Yayyy witty banter...

Nice.. I hear ya on the treatments/wife/audyssey stuff... (not married, could build a room out of rockwool and gammas, and use MCAAC) Thats a pretty good sized room and your wife knows exactly how many treatments are best. Good thinking on putting the furniture where she wanted it, too. I kid, I kid. Where does audyessy crossover your setup? Just curious. Weird about them sounding empty without- awesome that they hold their own when applied. If we pick the same star, lets rocketpool.. much cheaper and better for the environment. You can drive.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Where does audyessy crossover your setup? Just curious. Weird about them sounding empty without- awesome that they hold their own when applied.
Auto-setup sets the mains to full range, center to 100Hz, and surrounds to 40Hz; I put everything to 80Hz except the center which I leave alone. Regarding the empty uncorrected sound, I could take a few guesses (I've run a few measurements with Omnimic, and the room really plays havoc with the response), but I don't really spend a lot of time worrying about it since everything sounds satisfactory to my ears with Audyssey on.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam your just evil!!!!
You got that right. I think that being unjust is simply wrong.

How about that. Good is capable of hate, while evil can be just and loving. Everlast, you singing wise man...

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Regarding towers as surrounds, Gene's thoughts do hold water. In my case though, the sweet spot is about six feet away from either surround, so localization isn't a major problem, and I think they pull off the role quite well from that position. Since it's usually just me and the wife, it works out. Still, I'd consider in the next system iteration using dedicated surrounds.
Well it looks like the day for dedicated surrounds is coming sooner than expected. The current right surround is the perfect height and distance for a toddler to headbutt from the sectional, so guess what happened... Of course, while I feel a little bad for my son, this means I have permission again for new toys from the wife. :D

Of course because I'm a demented soul, I'm contemplating a potentially big change...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well it looks like the day for dedicated surrounds is coming sooner than expected. The current right surround is the perfect height and distance for a toddler to headbutt from the sectional, so guess what happened... Of course, while I feel a little bad for my son, this means I have permission again for new toys from the wife. :D

Of course because I'm a demented soul, I'm contemplating a potentially big change...
We are all wondering who put him up to it now. :D Your son is already on your side. Next up, what happens when I roll daddies car into a tree? Answer he gets a nice new car.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'd take pictures of the surround area, but I've got to clean that up a bit... Need to pick up some paintable wire; just using some 14AWG I had laying around back there.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Congrats on the new speakers!
Thanks! :D

Interesting note, the trim levels in Audyssey barely budged going from the "high sensitivity" Klipsch to this setup: 3dB (-10.5 to -7.5) on the mains, nothing on the center and the surrounds actually went the other way. The surrounds do have a placement advantage though.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Something happened...
All I see in the pic is that you brought your mains closer in. What's going on? Surrounds? I'm hoping for some more pic's of speaker related stuff but if you can get a shot of yourself holding a Dorito with your toes and make sure that Greg sees it I will be happy.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
What's going on? Surrounds?
The Klipsch setup seen in post 1 is currently on the other side of the basement awaiting sale to a good home (or a bad one if the money's there I guess).

No more floorstanding surrounds this time. Wall mounted dipoles this time. Of course, I had to make some adjustments due to some unforeseen brickwork being behind one stretch of drywall, so I've got some sanding and painting to do later. And as mentioned, it looks just a tad chintzy with regular 14AWG zip cord. I'll probably get some of that paintable Monster stuff unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Fun story: in running Audyssey, it regularly sets my center speaker a bit high; with my old Klipsch RC-3 center, it set it to 150Hz; I swapped that out for an RC-35 which it set to 100Hz. With the new center, it's back to 150Hz. So I finally got off my butt and measured what the heck was going on. The answer: nothing out of the ordinary. The graph I got was reasonably flat down to 50-60Hz, with no major dips/nulls between 100Hz-200Hz, even when set for an unsmoothed measurement. Goes back to this I suppose:
Tip of The Day: You're Smarter Than Your Receiver

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I wouldn't count on it. I know if I were drunk, I'd be doing something other than watching video reviews of a juicer :D
Watching tv?
with... Alex, and Brian, after a big game of twister?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My man. Nothing like a little Duck Dynasty/Duck Commander on the TV :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis