Stereo receiver and speaker compatability

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
It should be fine. Those speakers seem to be reasonably efficient. Why don't you ask Fluance? Peace and goodwill.

M

Mark Alexander

Audiophyte
It should be fine. Those speakers seem to be reasonably efficient. Why don't you ask Fluance? Peace and goodwill.
Funny you should ask.......The Fluance on-line rep said best to drive with an amp closer to 200w which urged me to jump on this forum. Thanks for your feedback.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
200 would certainly work, but a solid 100 should also be fine. Ultimately the deciding factor will end up being how loud you listen, what type of listening and your environment. If you want to listen loud, you may need more power.

M

Mark Alexander

Audiophyte
200 would certainly work, but a solid 100 should also be fine. Ultimately the deciding factor will end up being how loud you listen, what type of listening and your environment. If you want to listen loud, you may need more power.
Thank you J!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Funny you should ask.......The Fluance on-line rep said best to drive with an amp closer to 200w which urged me to jump on this forum. Thanks for your feedback.
It depends a lot on where you sit and room dimensions. For example, if you sit 4m (some people do) from the speakers in a large room and listen at THX standard of 85 dB and allow for 20 dB dynamic peaks, you may need 1000W or more assuming your speakers can handle the power and the SPL requirements under such condition.

If your dealer knows your spl requirements and listening environment, and he knows his stuff, then you should listen to him. If not, he maybe just telling you to get 200W because that's a safe bet based on the speaker manufacturer's recommendations of 80-200W. A 200W (so called rms) rated amplifier will automatically give you 400W peak (based on sine wave) without clipping, so that's pretty much all your speakers can take anyway whether that is loud enough for you or not.

Audioholics has a few articles that should answer your questions, below is another good read for you in you are interested in learning more on this and related topics.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013322spl-calculator/

brad1138

brad1138

Audioholic
100 should be alright, but if the speaker asks for at least 80, there is a reason for that. 150 or more would probably be better.

brad1138

brad1138

Audioholic
What reason would that be?
80 watts is relatively high for "minimum recommended". Speakers generally don't do as well as they could at or near their minimum. 100 watts, is not significantly higher than 80 watts.

Anecdotally, my Mirage speakers are inefficient, they have a recommended range of 100-300 watts. They do not perform as well with 100-150 as they do with 300+. I have experienced it numerous times in over 40 years of being an audio enthusiast/audiophile.

But 100 watts will work, I just think more would be better.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis