Stereo Cabinets Finished - Driver Opinions please?

L

Loren42

Audioholic
I built two home audio 3-way vented cabinets and put some PV Black Widow 15" speakers in them just so I could have sound, but there is no bass with these drivers. Now is the time to put real bass drivers in, but which?

I want something good and don't mind paying a little to get it. The cabinets are 165 liters and ported. I would like to find a good driver that I can tune to 20 Hz with.

So, I look around and the new AudioPulse REVO 15s have awesome specifications and fit the cabinet well on paper, but the price is pretty high.

My girlfriend and I did a web search and we found Alpine's SWR-1542D for less than half the price of the REVOs and the numbers seem to be a good match.

However, I don't know anything about the Alpines and how well they will actually sound in my home stereo.

Are two Alpine 15" auto speakers going to cut it in my large living room or would these be a bad choice?

I know Dayton makes some cheap drivers, but I was looking for something a little better than that. What other drivers should I consider?

Thanks in advance,

Loren

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I built two home audio 3-way vented cabinets and put some PV Black Widow 15" speakers in them just so I could have sound, but there is no bass with these drivers. Now is the time to put real bass drivers in, but which?

I want something good and don't mind paying a little to get it. The cabinets are 165 liters and ported. I would like to find a good driver that I can tune to 20 Hz with.

So, I look around and the new AudioPulse REVO 15s have awesome specifications and fit the cabinet well on paper, but the price is pretty high.

My girlfriend and I did a web search and we found Alpine's SWR-1542D for less than half the price of the REVOs and the numbers seem to be a good match.

However, I don't know anything about the Alpines and how well they will actually sound in my home stereo.

Are two Alpine 15" auto speakers going to cut it in my large living room or would these be a bad choice?

I know Dayton makes some cheap drivers, but I was looking for something a little better than that. What other drivers should I consider?

Thanks in advance,

Loren
Welcome to the forum!

The way you do this is choose the driver and THEN design and build the cabinets.

All drivers have unique Thiel/Small parameters and need enclosures of unique volume and porting. It may well be that your current drivers would produce excellent bass in the right cabinet with the right porting.

Sorry, but you have gone about this totally backwards, and that is why you have no bass.

If you know the volume of your boxes, I might just find a driver in my data base that would work for your enclosure. However it is a real pain, and time consuming working a speaker design backwards.

The other issue is you say it is a three way speaker. What did you use for a crossover, and what are the other drivers? Crossovers have to be designed to the drivers selected also. Generic crossovers are useless. So not only do we have to find a woofer that fits the box, but one that also has a high enough, and smooth enough, frequency response to reach your mid drivers. Then we have to design a crossover that will work, for you to build.

Using a sub driver for this application is out of the question.

Before you go any further you should read this book, and this book

Speaker building is great fun, but unless you understand how to do it, all you will get is bad results and waste time and money.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Thanks!

The real problem was I designed the cabinet for a set of speakers that I had the wrong TS constants for. So, bottom line is I made a big booboo.

I stuck in a set of PVs so I can at least have some sound.

Now what I have is a cabinet that has a volume of 165 to 170 liters and a port that I can adjust as needed (with some surgery). So, while I would like to start with a speaker first, I am past that point. That means I am stuck with a cabinet that is about 6 cubic feet. Everything else is open to change as need be.

That's not quite a clean sheet of paper, but I know it could be worse.

The mid is an Eminence 5.25" speaker and the tweeter is an old HiVi ribbon. Crossover is a passive unit, I think it is set to 500 Hz at the woofer, but I can toss the one I have and use something else if needed.

Anyway, I do appreciate your post and thank you for the links!

Loren

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks!

The real problem was I designed the cabinet for a set of speakers that I had the wrong TS constants for. So, bottom line is I made a big booboo.

I stuck in a set of PVs so I can at least have some sound.

Now what I have is a cabinet that has a volume of 165 to 170 liters and a port that I can adjust as needed (with some surgery). So, while I would like to start with a speaker first, I am past that point. That means I am stuck with a cabinet that is about 6 cubic feet. Everything else is open to change as need be.

That's not quite a clean sheet of paper, but I know it could be worse.

The mid is an Eminence 5.25" speaker and the tweeter is an old HiVi ribbon. Crossover is a passive unit, I think it is set to 500 Hz at the woofer, but I can toss the one I have and use something else if needed.

Anyway, I do appreciate your post and thank you for the links!

Loren
I need more info than that! I need the model number of the Eminence and HI VI tweeters. I see a problem already. We will have a hard time matching sensitivities. 15" non sub woofers are very sensitive, and you can L-pad a woofer. I hope that mid is in its own sealed sub enclosure. If not it has to be and I will tell you the size it needs to be.

This may not be a feasible project, but we will see. I assume your woofer cut out is for a 15 inch speakers. There is a lot more to a crossover than setting the crossover frequency, they have to match the diver roll offs and sensitivities. You will be very lucky if we can salvage anything worth listening to from this project.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Thanks again for your help.

The mid is in its own enclosure and is a 6" Eminence Alpha 6. The tweeter is a HI VI RT2H_A Planer Tweeter.

Both are on their own L-Pads.

Loren

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks again for your help.

The mid is in its own enclosure and is a 6" Eminence Alpha 6. The tweeter is a HI VI RT2H_A Planer Tweeter.

Both are on their own L-Pads.

Loren
It is your lucky day. I found a woofer that will fit the bill. It is the Dayton DC380-8. The details of the speaker are here on my website. I have put it together for you.

Now you can not use generic crossovers. If you do you still likely will have no bass. This crossover takes care of the driver irregularities and combines the drivers to produce an excellent mid band response. The crossover is the very heart of every speaker, and you will have no worthwhile results without building this crossover.

Now the volume required is 5.5 cu.ft. You need to subtract bracing driver volume and he mid range box to get the internal volume Vb.

If the volume is a little high, add bracing until you have the required volume.

If you carry this project out carefully you will have a nice set of speakers. They will also be a very easy amplifier load, as they are full impedance corrected.

Study all the graphs carefully so you will see what can be achieved.

Now this crossover is a model, and so the actual result may differ. However I was able to find measured frequency responses for these drivers, and so I think this crossover will get you very close, certainly it will be light years ahead of what you have now.

Now I have designed this crossover for these drivers, it will NOT work with other drivers, and your crossover will not work with those drivers. If you study the graphs and understand them you will see why.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Outstanding!

Thank you for taking the time to do all of this. I will be ordering the books you recommended today. I used to have the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, but it appears to be a casualty of my move to Florida.

Needless to say I will need some time to digest all of this and doubtless I will have more questions, if I may trouble you with a few I have now.

First, the wiring diagram for the crossover illustrates the L-Pads as a single fixed resistor symbol. Typically, a variable resistor is illustrated as a 3-terminal device (i.e., the symbol is represented as a combination of a fixed resistor and an arrow pointing to the center of the symbol's squiggle, which represents the wiper of the pot). So, I am uncertain as to how that is wired in your illustration.

Second, both my girlfriend and I were a little taken back by the driver selection you recommended. No doubt that the Dayton speaker you recommended will perform as advertised, but we both are left to wonder what are the advantages to these higher end drivers we see. Perhaps this is a case of just trying to find something to fit the current design and I realize that my choices are going to be limited.

Again, that you for taking the time to educate me on this subject. Also, your listening room/studio is one of the most impressive rooms I have seen. Bravo! Do you also play a musical instrument?

Regards,

Loren

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Outstanding!

Thank you for taking the time to do all of this. I will be ordering the books you recommended today. I used to have the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, but it appears to be a casualty of my move to Florida.

Needless to say I will need some time to digest all of this and doubtless I will have more questions, if I may trouble you with a few I have now.

First, the wiring diagram for the crossover illustrates the L-Pads as a single fixed resistor symbol. Typically, a variable resistor is illustrated as a 3-terminal device (i.e., the symbol is represented as a combination of a fixed resistor and an arrow pointing to the center of the symbol's squiggle, which represents the wiper of the pot). So, I am uncertain as to how that is wired in your illustration.

Second, both my girlfriend and I were a little taken back by the driver selection you recommended. No doubt that the Dayton speaker you recommended will perform as advertised, but we both are left to wonder what are the advantages to these higher end drivers we see. Perhaps this is a case of just trying to find something to fit the current design and I realize that my choices are going to be limited.

Again, that you for taking the time to educate me on this subject. Also, your listening room/studio is one of the most impressive rooms I have seen. Bravo! Do you also play a musical instrument?

Regards,

Loren
First the L-pad. These are fixed and not variable. The value of the resistors are given. Variable resistors upset the crossover and also lead to crackles. The speaker balances should not be used as tone controls. The values should be set for good after full evaluation. From the modeling these values look correct. We might have to bypass Rp1 on the tweeter circuit with a 2mfd cap, to pull up the response droop above 10 KHz. I doubt you will though. I don't usually correct HF roll off above 10KHz. The tweeter had a nasty peak, which I got rid off, but it has left a slight roll off above 10 KHz. I would not correct it off the bat, I would listen first.

Now to driver selection: we have few to choose from. If I might say so, the concept of your speaker is very retro. In the fifties sixties and seventies there were lots of speakers on this model, virtually none now. Most of them were "raucous squawkers". Now narrow fronted cabinets have become popular because of reflection issues from the large front baffle. The most popular models are either bookshelves, or the two and a half way towers, where there are two bass mids, a tweeter and the lower bass mid shelved in to compensate for the diffraction loss of the narrow cabinet. This has another advantage of avoiding two crossovers in the sensitive mid range area. It also saves a lot of dollars on crossover components.

These speakers, especially for HT, have the bass extended by subs operating below either 60 or 80 Hz.

Now sub woofers are big, heavy and of lower sensitivity. They will not be suitable for your application, as they lack sensitivity and wide enough frequency response.

Now there an inverse correlation between magnetic flux, and therefore sensitivity and bass extension.

There is an inclination to believe that a 15" driver must have deep bass. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Most large cone, non sub woofers are basically for high spl professional application. Bass extension for pro work and PA is not a prime consideration and often a detriment. What is required is a robust driver of high sensitivity, that will handle lots of power and generate high spls. The fact they are expensive and sound awful is beside the point to the pro. They want a rough tough speaker that will work in a smallish cabinet, or be able to use multiples without enclosure size getting out of hand, that can belt it out and cross to a compression HF horn with active crossover between 500 and 1200Hz.

So these drivers tend to be stiff to make them robust, have light paper type cones and huge flux density. This tends to highish Fs, low Qts and lowish VAS. In essence belters, but with poor bass. Cut off usually between 45 and 60 Hz, usually nearer the higher number. Your current driver fits that description.

So we need a driver of intermediate sensitivity, low Fs, reasonably smooth response to 400 Hz, and an out of band response, that can at least be tamed. It needs to work in a ported enclosure around 6 cu.ft.

The driver I selected for you fits the bill. It has an Fs around 20 Hz. Remember a speaker will not perform below Fs and usually F3 is about 7 to 10 Hz above Fs. Most 15" non sub drivers have an Fs between 30 and 40 Hz. The Qts and VAS of your driver also made it look promising for your application. It has a lossy surround and a stiffened cone, to help smooth the mid range response. All stiffened cones break up and when they do you get a sharp peak. This one is no exception, and has a doozie at 1500 Hz. I have tamed it in the crossover. Remember you always have to consider the in band and out of band responses of all drivers. This is because crossovers are not brick wall and there is driver overlap. This is especially problematic in three ways as there is overlap at both ends of the bandpass. This leads to band pass gain, which if not properly handled leads to the "Raucous Squawker". I suspect your current speaker fits that description to a degree and may be totally. The band pass gain is minimized by spreading the crossover points as far as you can. We have yours spread about three octaves. The rest of the bandpass gain is taken care of in the crossover design.

So those are the reasons I chose the driver I did. The selection of 15" drivers for your application is extremely limited. That driver is cost effective. This is important, as when you add up the cost of building those crossovers you will have sticker shock.

Use wire wound air core chokes. You may use an iron cored choke for Lm. Use Polypropylene caps. You don't need exotic caps. I use the French Solen line. Do not use non polarizing electrolytic caps. You may have to parallel some caps to get the right values.

I would build the low pass, band pass and high pass filters on separate boards. Keep the inductors as far apart as possible, and if one is in the horizontal plane, then put the next vertical, to minimize mutual inductance.

Check your work very carefully for errors, shorts and poor solder joints.

I'm busy right now as I'm getting ready to fly to England on Thursday, for a three week stay. I will be on GMT then, six hours ahead of of CST which I'm on here. Also on Sunday we are traveling to our families second home on a piece of National Trust land just north of Southwold, Suffolk.

Notice the Canon. Governments never change, no matter what Senator Obama thinks. These canon were put there after the battle of Sole Bay against the Dutch in 1672. His Majesties government provided and installed the Canon at great expense to the exchequer. However it was up to the Bergers of Southwold to vote the money for the powder and shot. The wise Bergers knew that no warship could come in range of the guns because of the shallows, so they never voted the money for the powder and shot.
The first and only time the guns were fired was as part of the Queen Mother's 100th birthday celebration a few years ago!

At Sole View Eastern Bavance, there is no phone service, internet or cell phone service. I will be at Sole View for five days, then I should have Internet most of the rest of the time.

Anyhow I fly back Oct 9, so if I'm slow to respond to your questions, you know why.

Good luck with your project.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Excellent post. I ordered one of the suggested books from Madison as well as Bassbox Pro and the cross over filter software. I want to actually understand the science here and having some tools to tinker will be a good way to understand the process.

Your trip sounds wonderful! Interesting history.

Good luck and have fun on your trip and I will have a lot of investigation to do in the mean time to keep me busy.

Regards,

Loren

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Excellent post. I ordered one of the suggested books from Madison as well as Bassbox Pro and the cross over filter software. I want to actually understand the science here and having some tools to tinker will be a good way to understand the process.

Your trip sounds wonderful! Interesting history.

Good luck and have fun on your trip and I will have a lot of investigation to do in the mean time to keep me busy.

Regards,

Loren
If you use the crossover program, the computer will give you a different network and values then what I gave you. I inserted a lot of my own values, to get the response of the drivers the way I wanted. The most difficult part is knowing how to do crossovers. I have to tell you it takes a lot of experience, and often things have to be tweaked after completion. However I'm pretty certain, that crossover will get you well in the ball park.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
I can believe it!

Okay, concerning crossovers, I have some questions:

1. Madison sells all the aircore inductors except the .27 and 18 mH. The price on these inductors are pretty high. Why can't I throw a bobbin on a lathe and wind my own on a plastic core? I can get 14 ga copper wire at Lowe's and have at it. Or is there something I am missing?

2. The 27 uF cap is not available at Madison in a Solen. They have a 25 uF or I can parallel a 25 and a 1.9 uF to get very close (they are ±5% anyway).

3. Recommended resistor wattage? I assume we don't want wire wound due to the inductance, so metal oxide is the smart choice.

4. The Woofer EQ has caps rated as mF. I assume that is uF (micro-farads)?

Thanks!!!

Loren

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I can believe it!

Okay, concerning crossovers, I have some questions:

1. Madison sells all the aircore inductors except the .27 and 18 mH. The price on these inductors are pretty high. Why can't I throw a bobbin on a lathe and wind my own on a plastic core? I can get 14 ga copper wire at Lowe's and have at it. Or is there something I am missing?

2. The 27 uF cap is not available at Madison in a Solen. They have a 25 uF or I can parallel a 25 and a 1.9 uF to get very close (they are ±5% anyway).

3. Recommended resistor wattage? I assume we don't want wire wound due to the inductance, so metal oxide is the smart choice.

4. The Woofer EQ has caps rated as mF. I assume that is uF (micro-farads)?

Thanks!!!

Loren
You can make your own inductors, but you will need an inductance bridge to check results. It never works as calculated. I see the cost of those big inductors has gone through the roof since I last checked because of copper prices. I would use the iron core for the 18 mH coil. I think you will be OK in the bass. Just substitute a 0.25 mH coke for the 0.27 it will be fine.

Yes parallel the caps, and all values are mfd.

The resistors are fine wire wound. Use 10 watt ratings.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Great. We/I have access to a good LCR bridge in our labs, so got that covered.

Thanks, again!

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Just for grins, I would be curious as to what the box plots look like with my current drivers if they cabinet was correctly tuned?

Power handling: 800 watts RMS
VCdia: 4"
Le: 0.82 mH
Impedance: 8 ohms
Re: 6.21 ohms
Frequency response: 30-1000 Hz
Fs: 33.916
SPL: 93.6 dB 1W/1m
Vas: 5.48 cu. ft. (155.18 liters)
Qms: 10.67
Qes: 0.364
Qts: 0.352
Xmax: 9.6mm

I ran a sound check last night and it looks like the port tuning is way off, closer to 70Hz, because there is a 6 to 8 dB peak at 70Hz that then drops off about 3 dB for every 10 Hz thereafter.

At 34Hz the level is about the same as the other drivers, so I truly have a "boom" box!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just for grins, I would be curious as to what the box plots look like with my current drivers if they cabinet was correctly tuned?

Power handling: 800 watts RMS
VCdia: 4"
Le: 0.82 mH
Impedance: 8 ohms
Re: 6.21 ohms
Frequency response: 30-1000 Hz
Fs: 33.916
SPL: 93.6 dB 1W/1m
Vas: 5.48 cu. ft. (155.18 liters)
Qms: 10.67
Qes: 0.364
Qts: 0.352
Xmax: 9.6mm

I ran a sound check last night and it looks like the port tuning is way off, closer to 70Hz, because there is a 6 to 8 dB peak at 70Hz that then drops off about 3 dB for every 10 Hz thereafter.

At 34Hz the level is about the same as the other drivers, so I truly have a "boom" box!
I don't have time for this now. I'm leaving Benedict for Eagan now, and fly to England to morrow, as I explained before. May be to morrow, if not after I get to England. Whatever you do the F3 will be above 40 Hz with that driver.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
This thread is in the wrong place. It belongs in the DIY corner.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
No problem. It is more a curiosity.

Anyway, enjoy your trip and we can catch up when you return.

Loren.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No problem. It is more a curiosity.

Anyway, enjoy your trip and we can catch up when you return.

Loren.
Here is your current driver in your enclosure. It requires four, four inch diameter vents, each 11.4" flared at both ends.

Do you have access to a frequency response curve of that driver?

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Here is your current driver in your enclosure. It requires four, four inch diameter vents, each 11.4" flared at both ends.

Do you have access to a frequency response curve of that driver?
Do you mean a plot from the manufacture? No, I have not seen one.

Thanks for running that plot. I got BB Pro 6 last night and started tinkering. Both the Dayon and the PV plots you did will be a good check for me to see if I can replicate the results as I learn the software.

Anyway, I thought you would be airborne by now. :)

God's speed, as they say.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis