Steinway Lyngdorf P200: High end surround processor with Dolby Atmos® AND AURO-3D® support

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Dolby Atmos To Dominate Home-Theater Demos | http://www.twice.com

Steinway Lyngdorf: The $18,000 P200 surround processor is promoted as the first and only surround processor to feature both Dolby Atmos® audio-object decoding and Auro-3D® channel-based decoding. It also features HDMI switching, 4K passthrough and HDCP 2.2 copy protection. It also has RoomPerfect room-acoustics correction and digital signal processing that keeps the audio signal completely in the digital domain. The P200 ships in early 2015 and of handles up to 16 native channels and up to 256 output channels.

[video=youtube;lZ8EOsbvgjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ8EOsbvgjk[/video]​

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice. But $18K for a pre-pro that doesn't have DTS-UHD, which may be on $600 AVR in a few years. That's what I'm thinking. :D

It's like buying a $18K pre-pro that only has Dolby TrueHD w/o DTS-HD MA.

It's okay if you're rich, though. You can just buy a new one next year. :D

A

AV_Nut

Junior Audioholic
I was blown away by their demo even with the lousy room acoustics. But hey, they used "Room Perfect" and it certainly delivered. It SHOULD sound incredible as it was "only" $120K. Yea, It's for passionate rich folks.

The key to their amazing demo were the boundary woofer concept. They are not to be confused with subwoofers. Far from it. I've been to Peter Lyngdorf's home in Aarhus Denmark. He had one of THE best stereo system I have heard in my life. I've heard multi thousands of systems over the past 18 years and his room was in the top 5 with about $15K worth of gear. At CEDIA, he told me his new stereo system crushes his old one.

Steve with Sound Video of MN

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I was blown away by their demo even with the lousy room acoustics. But hey, they used "Room Perfect" and it certainly delivered. It SHOULD sound incredible as it was "only" $120K. Yea, It's for passionate rich folks.

The key to their amazing demo were the boundary woofer concept. They are not to be confused with subwoofers. Far from it. I've been to Peter Lyngdorf's home in Aarhus Denmark. He had one of THE best stereo system I have heard in my life. I've heard multi thousands of systems over the past 18 years and his room was in the top 5 with about $15K worth of gear. At CEDIA, he told me his new stereo system crushes his old one.

Steve with Sound Video of MN

That's good to hear b/c last their my wife and I had to leave their demo within minutes b/c it was WAY too loud and very shrill sounding.

A

AV_Nut

Junior Audioholic
That's good to hear b/c last their my wife and I had to leave their demo within minutes b/c it was WAY too loud and very shrill sounding.
I didn't go to CEDIA last year. But at this years show, they clearly had the best demo. Think goosebumps. They are actually crossing over each speaker at around 400HZ (not a typo). Hence, the boundary woofers are the farthest thing from a subwoofer. The timing is perfectly aligned using their room perfect algorithm and the sound stage is downright massive. I will say, the demo was fairly loud and just the way I like it.:D Their secret is super low mass woofers that are fairly linear that can take over in that 400HZ range and below. To add impact, you used a stacked group of large woofers in the two front corners taking advantage of the room gain and then Room Perfect made the less than ideal placement response flat at the listening positions. The end result was an incredibly tight articulate bottom end like you never heard before. No sub-sat concept can compete. When explosions happened in the rear, it front corner woofage sounded like it was behind me. But again, it was $120K system. But we have all heard $120K crappy systems too. This one was a $120K AMAZING system. When I was at Peter's home in Denmark in 2008, Robert Harley happened to be sitting next to me as he was also on the DALI tour (Peter owns DALI). We both have never heard soundstage and tight bottom end such as his system. I bought one of their systems for my system. I repeated the results. But Peter's tweaks and knowledge out performed my room by a 1/2 a letter grade. I diverge...

I asked them to play a 7.2 versus a 7.2.4 comparison as Dolby had it on their demo disk. It was a night and day difference. The Atmos crushed the 7.2 soundtrack.

It would be interesting to re-compute the system total if you used your own speakers (still buying his boundary woofer array). I would use the new DALI Rubicon LCR Onwall which is now slightly polite on the top end and the Rubicon 8's (which I own) loudspeakers. I bet I cut the price point in more of the affordable range.

Last edited:
flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I'm a fan of their Room Perfect. It does make a big difference, even in my treated room. ;-)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm a fan of their Room Perfect. It does make a big difference, even in my treated room. ;)
Glad to hear you are still very much loving your B&W + McIntosh dream system! Very beautiful looking system for sure. :)

Keep the honeymoon period strong! ;)

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
No, I'm really satisfied with the way the room sounds. I love the speakers and equipment. I've heard many other systems costing a lot more than mine and I've yet to come home and say, "boy, wish I had system like that". ;-) now I just sit back, sip on some scotch and enjoy, that is when the kids let me. ;-). Lol lol . Please keep your comments about your new speakers to yourself, or at least hide them from me. ;-)

BTW, I like those funk audio line arrays. ;-)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, I'm really satisfied with the way the room sounds. I love the speakers and equipment. I've heard many other systems costing a lot more than mine and I've yet to come home and say, "boy, wish I had system like that". ;-) now I just sit back, sip on some scotch and enjoy, that is when the kids let me. ;-). Lol lol . Please keep your comments about your new speakers to yourself, or at least hide them from me. ;-)

BTW, I like those funk audio line arrays. ;-)
B&W 802D2 + SVS subs + McIntosh pre & amp is the life. I wouldn't let anyone's comments about how some cheaper systems sound as good or better. ;)

Enjoy the life and don't second guess for even one second. :D

I could be utterly happy with the sound of the 802D2, Salon 2, or KEF Reference 201/2 + dual Funk 18.0 subs as well. So I know how good the 802D2 sound!

My selling of those speakers had nothing to do with their sound quality. Not at all.

Last edited:
flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
lol. So what did you end up getting? For personal info, how much did you sell the 802s for? You can PM me if you'd like. Just curious what kind of resale value they hold. ;-)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
lol. So what did you end up getting? For personal info, how much did you sell the 802s for? You can PM me if you'd like. Just curious what kind of resale value they hold. ;)
I got $9K net for the 802D2.

I got $10.5K net for the Salon2.

Definitely loss a ton of money! :(

I do not recommend ever selling your 802D2!!! :D

I'm trying to get the RBH SX-T2/R towers x 5. No other subwoofers because each tower has the SX-1010 subwoofer. But it is taking longer than expected. Hopefully RBH can get me those speakers soon (fingers crossed).

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm trying to get the RBH SX-T2/R towers x 5. No other subwoofers because each tower has the SX-1010 subwoofer. But it is taking longer than expected. Hopefully RBH can get me those speakers soon (fingers crossed).
I like the no subwoofer concept, but does the AVP route the .1 to the mains?

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like the no subwoofer concept, but does the AVP route the .1 to the mains?

- Rich
I would route the LFE/Sub to each tower's subwoofer cabinet. :D

The AVP-A1 has 3 LFE outputs. I would route Sub1 to the Left Front & Left Surround. Route Sub2 to the Center. Route Sub3 to the Right Front and Right Surround.

Just got word from Brian @ RBH that my speakers should be ready to ship out next week. Yah! :)

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall

The AVP-A1 has 3 LFE outputs. I would route Sub1 to the Left Front & Left Surround. Route Sub2 to the Center. Route Sub3 to the Right Front and Right Surround.

Just got word from Brian @ RBH that my speakers should be ready to ship out next week. Yah! :)
What mixes the .1 with the bass from each channel, the AVP-A1 or the RBH subwoofer module?

- Rich

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

The best way to handle bass in your system is to treat all 5 of your sub modules as subwoofers connected to the sub outs of your AVP.

You can use 1sp or 3sp sub mix which will send a identical mono bass + LFE to all sub outs and you can route front/back left to sub 1, front/back right to sub 2 and center to sub 3. Alternatively you can run 2SP L/R and route front/back left to sub 1, front back/right to sub2 and either route the center sub to 1 or 2. This will give you stereo bass for music though the center sub will be in the middle, but that's not too big of a deal. Bass below 80Hz is mostly mono anyways.

If you chose 3SP L/R/LFE then only 1 sub out will get the LFE. I don't recommend this at all!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What mixes the .1 with the bass from each channel, the AVP-A1 or the RBH subwoofer module?

- Rich
AVP-A1 would mix/send all LFE to each RBH subwoofer module.

Imagine hooking up 5 speakers + 5 subwoofers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The best way to handle bass in your system is to treat all 5 of your sub modules as subwoofers connected to the sub outs of your AVP.

3sp sub mix which will send a identical mono bass + LFE to all sub outs and you can route front/back left to sub 1, front/back right to sub 2 and center to sub 3.
This will be exactly my setting. :D

All 5 SX-1010 will get the LFE (3SP Sub Mix from Sub1, Sub2, Sub3).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This will be exactly my setting. :D

All 5 SX-1010 will get the LFE (3SP Sub Mix from Sub1, Sub2, Sub3).
That's the way to do it. To be honest, I think the T system sounds better with the subs bass managed then running fullrange as a tower speaker. Much different scenario for the 8T system though as I think that sounds best integrated as a fullrange speaker. Well at least in my room that's my experience.

I still don't get how your using a T2 vertically as a center channel but look forward to seeing and hearing about your results.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis