Status Acoustics 8T Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Got $50k to splurge on a new sports car? Status Acoustics is hoping you'd spend it on loudspeakers instead. The new speaker is named the Status 8T and it is Status Acoustics most radical design yet, incorporating a two-piece design that places the midrange and treble cabinet floating above the bass cabinet. With the 8T, function follows form. One of the design goals was to minimize cabinet resonances that color sound. With the 8T's two-cabinet design, the low and mid frequency enclosures are effectively isolated from each other, nearly eliminating cabinet resonance in the speaker system. The three 10" high excursion aluminum cone bass drivers combined with the four 6.5" Beryllium cone mid woofers and 1" Beryllium dome tweeter ensures this speaker system will play true full-range sound effortlessly at any playback level. Standing at nearly 6ft tall and tipping at over 300lbs we have little reason to doubt its output capabilities. We look forward to taking these beauties for a test drive to see if they truly deliver Ferrari like performance at Corvette pricing.

Discuss "Status Acoustics 8T Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
We look forward to taking these beauties for a test drive to see if they truly deliver Ferrari like performance at Corvette pricing.
At 50k, they are actually $400 more than the msrp of the base model 2012 corvette :D

They are some funky looking speakers though. I like the bass module :)

TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
Cool Looking

Love them. It would be cool to see if the grills could have the image of a guitar. you can play around with it and customize it to different types of guitars,even mandolins, to the costumers:D preferential musical taste. Mine is more acoustic.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
WTF? :mad: reviewing equipment we can't afford :p It makes me wanna ..well i just can't say :p

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So what you're telling me is that I need to take a crash course in cross-over design, and then construct moulds to be filled with bondo so that I can build the cabinets and I can have a DIY set of 8T's? Hazaa!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Am I the only one who feels the RBH/Status Acoustics is a bit behind the times in the bass department? Sure this speaker will give a solid low end, comparable to a good subwoofer setup, but it took them 6 10 inch drivers in massive cabinets to do it. Seems that most of their subwoofers really don't compete with what's on the market, not considering even ID brands.

SheepStar

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Am I the only one who feels the RBH/Status Acoustics is a bit behind the times in the bass department? Sure this speaker will give a solid low end, comparable to a good subwoofer setup, but it took them 6 10 inch drivers in massive cabinets to do it. Seems that most of their subwoofers really don't compete with what's on the market, not considering even ID brands.

SheepStar
Their standard signature product is a bit lacking below 25Hz, I totally agree.

But their Signature SE/R uses this driver:

We've yet to formerly review a sub with this driver but I've got 4 of them in my T30s and the bass they produce is certainly not lacking.

Attached is an in-room measurement of my system at the listening position 1/12th octave smoothed.

I will do some max SPL sweeps on the bass section of this new speaker but realize the bass box is NOT EQ'ed. It's meant to be run as a fullrange speaker system not a sub so it may not be as flat as an EQ'ed powered sub but with 3 10"s like these, its' gonna have gobs of output.

Attachments

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Their standard signature product is a bit lacking below 25Hz, I totally agree.

But their Signature SE/R uses this driver:

We've yet to formerly review a sub with this driver but I've got 4 of them in my T30s and the bass they produce is certainly not lacking.

Attached is an in-room measurement of my system at the listening position 1/12th octave smoothed.

I will do some max SPL sweeps on the bass section of this new speaker but realize the bass box is NOT EQ'ed. It's meant to be run as a fullrange speaker system not a sub so it may not be as flat as an EQ'ed powered sub but with 3 10"s like these, its' gonna have gobs of output.
That is impressive output, but it took 4 - 10 inch drivers and probably a lot of amplification. Seems these days a good 12 - 15 inch is doing that, and being more cost and space efficient. Do they have plans to make something a bit more substantial?

SheepStar

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That is impressive output, but it took 4 - 10 inch drivers and probably a lot of amplification. Seems these days a good 12 - 15 inch is doing that, and being more cost and space efficient. Do they have plans to make something a bit more substantial?

SheepStar
RBH is working on a dual 1212 model as a stand alone unit but it will be big, heavy and expensive. They do have a single 1010 version as I mentioned which should compete favorably with a good 15" model.

see:Subwoofer: RBH SX-1010P Powered Subwoofer

It's kinda ridiculous we've never reviewed this model but perhaps during the summer I can get Josh to do it.

$ per $, RBH and most (if not all Brick&Mortar brands) cannot compete with the best ID alternatives in terms of sheer output and extension. An SVS PB13-Ultra would sell for at least 2-4 times the asking price if sold through dealer channels.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis