static coming from one speaker only?

O

owsballa

Audiophyte
I have a Onkyo tx-sr602 & just recently i have heard static coming from my left surround speaker. I thought that it was maybe a blown speaker so i changed the speaker attached to that wire & the sound is still the same. so i know it is not a blown speaker. what else could it be? the wire is monster cable thx 16 gauge.

T

Tritonman

Junior Audioholic
owsballa said:
I have a Onkyo tx-sr602 & just recently i have heard static coming from my left surround speaker. I thought that it was maybe a blown speaker so i changed the speaker attached to that wire & the sound is still the same. so i know it is not a blown speaker. what else could it be? the wire is monster cable thx 16 gauge.
Check all your connections at the receiver end. Make sure a strand of copper isnt accidently touching another terminal on the receiver. Best bet is to pull each one out..re-strip it and reattach it then try again.

If that doesnt work see if the static happens from any source..ie dvd,cable,cd, etc. If it comes from one particular source change a cable and see if that helps. If none of the above work you may have a faulty channel in your receiver.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
owsballa said:

When you start pulling wires to find the source, do it one at a time and see when it goes away. Then by replugging, if it comes back. It almost sounds like a cold solder joint but, it may be a ground loop, although that would manifest in other channels too. Did you add a TV connection to the receiver setup? That is usually the culprit.

O

owsballa

Audiophyte
when I play anything that is not my tv through the reciver everything is fine. The static is only present when in tv mode. so does that mean I need the cable ground isolator?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
owsballa said:
when I play anything that is not my tv through the reciver everything is fine. The static is only present when in tv mode. so does that mean I need the cable ground isolator?

Sure seems like it to me. It is not an expensive item to try either way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis