Starting trouble with Anthem D2

A

audiobee

Audiophyte
I was trying to 'power ON' my newly acquired (used) Anthem D2 pre-amp ( There are no connections to amp and audio/video sources yet as I'm waiting for them ). When I plugged the cord into the outlet, nothing seem to be happening in the front panel, none of the small blue lights, including the the ones at the zone marked as 'POWER' are coming on !! Can someone advise is this how it's supposed to be? Only after connecting to other devices the lights will come on?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I was trying to 'power ON' my newly acquired (used) Anthem D2 pre-amp ( There are no connections to amp and audio/video sources yet as I'm waiting for them ). When I plugged the cord into the outlet, nothing seem to be happening in the front panel, none of the small blue lights, including the the ones at the zone marked as 'POWER' are coming on !! Can someone advise is this how it's supposed to be? Only after connecting to other devices the lights will come on?
It's not plugged into a switched outlet, is it? It happens. Check the power cord on another device that can use it- if the cord is OK, the preamp may have a problem. Did you demo it before buying?

A

audiobee

Audiophyte
It's not plugged into a switched outlet, is it? It happens. Check the power cord on another device that can use it- if the cord is OK, the preamp may have a problem. Did you demo it before buying?
I tried the power cord on amplifier, it works fine. And Yes, I did demo it, momentarily though, I though I saw the display and heard the sound. I took so much care in bringing it home, it would not have shaken a bit. So do you think it could be a problem with D2? what could have gone wrong? Am I missing to do something, I have the ARC anything to be done in that front? Sorry about too many questions, I'm bit upset I think, I waited for long to get this set-up :(

highfigh

highfigh

I tried the power cord on amplifier, it works fine. And Yes, I did demo it, momentarily though, I though I saw the display and heard the sound. I took so much care in bringing it home, it would not have shaken a bit. So do you think it could be a problem with D2? what could have gone wrong? Am I missing to do something, I have the ARC anything to be done in that front? Sorry about too many questions, I'm bit upset I think, I waited for long to get this set-up :(
It doesn't have a power switch on the back, does it? What about a removable front panel with a power button? My ReQuest music server has both and it's a bit annoying but it's not the end of the world when the power goes out. Yours may have something similar, hopefully.

Did it come with the manual? If not, go to their site and look for your model. You need to press Main before Power On.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. I didn't see an answer to the question about it being plugged into a switched outlet. Did you check that? As highfigh said, it happens.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It doesn't have a power switch on the back, does it?
Excellent suggestion! It looks like it does. There's an "AC switch" right about the connector for the power cord.

EDIT: BTW, you can download the manual in PDF directly from the link here.

A

audiobee

Audiophyte
Hi. I didn't see an answer to the question about it being plugged into a switched outlet. Did you check that? As highfigh said, it happens.
I tried 'AC power' button beside the cord both positions, no success. What is a 'switched outlet'? I tfried the same outlet where my amplifier works fine and also with the same cord. Besides I took the unit to a different circuit area in the upper floor, all in vain. only thing left is to try in a different house. I'm taking it to my friend's place tomorrow. Thank you for your prompt responses, any suggestions please feel free.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I tfried the same outlet where my amplifier works fine and also with the same cord.
Well, that answers the switched outlet question. That's just an outlet that is controlled by a wall switch, and sometimes the switch is "off" and makes you think that whatever is plugged into the outlet doesn't work.

Not trying to sound patronizing, as this has happened to me - make sure that the power cord is firmly seated inside the connector. Sometimes they aren't in far enough and don't make a connection.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I tried 'AC power' button beside the cord both positions, no success. What is a 'switched outlet'? I tfried the same outlet where my amplifier works fine and also with the same cord. Besides I took the unit to a different circuit area in the upper floor, all in vain. only thing left is to try in a different house. I'm taking it to my friend's place tomorrow. Thank you for your prompt responses, any suggestions please feel free.
Taking it to another house will not help. If the rear switch is on and you are following the instructions on page 50, and it is not lighting up the unit is DOA.

The next step is to check fuses. If there is a blown main fuse replace it once. If it blows right away, then the unit has a major problem and needs service.

It looks to me that the fuses are internal, so you will have to open the unit to inspect and test the fuses.

A

audiobee

Audiophyte
I took it to Anthem factory service today as I ran out of options. They said they will get back to me in a day or two. So I will wait.

Thanks All for the help and advise ..

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry that we couldn't get it working for you. I'd sure appreciate it if you'd be willing to post again once you find out what is wrong with it.

Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis