Starting 2 channel build

S

Sodakrep

Audiophyte
Hello all. Quick reference, I am wanting to put a nice 2 channel system in my home to listen to mainly vinyl and cd's. There will not be a tv in the room so I won't need all the additional fluff.

My goal is to have a nice sounding system that I can relax to while watching the fireplace while having the satisfaction of knowing I put together a system that's isn't just a store bought combo...

Speakers...

I used to be into car audio sound quality competitions pretty fiercely around 2004. I would like to build some enclosures for the drivers I have laying around. The drivers I have around are as follows

Focal Utopia 6.5's mid ranges
Focal Utopia 4" mid rangers
Focal tc90x tweeters
Focal Kevlar 5" mistral drivers
Focal Kevlar 5" mistral subwoofers.

I realize to some it's a mortal sin to use auto drivers in a home build but my thoughts are these are not the standard run of the mill drivers and figured they could still be put to good use.

Give me your opinions on this area...

Crossovers I will need some help on

I was thinking of using a integrated amp since I don't want all the processing of the 5.1 or 7.1 stuff

I will need suggestions for a good pre-amp for a turntable.

I have a turntable but am not sure the specs on it. I am sure it will be upgraded but I want to get the ball moving on these items first.

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I was thinking of using a integrated amp since I don't want all the processing of the 5.1 or 7.1 stuff

I will need suggestions for a good pre-amp for a turntable.

I have a turntable but am not sure the specs on it. I am sure it will be upgraded but I want to get the ball moving on these items first.
You didn't mention a price range. If $900 works for you, the Yamaha A-S801 might be tempting. And it already has a built-in phono pre-amp that works for all moving magnet type phono pick ups. See the review of this amp.
Speakers...

I used to be into car audio sound quality competitions pretty fiercely around 2004. I would like to build some enclosures for the drivers I have laying around. The drivers I have around are as follows

Focal Utopia 6.5's mid ranges
Focal Utopia 4" mid rangers
Focal tc90x tweeters
Focal Kevlar 5" mistral drivers
Focal Kevlar 5" mistral subwoofers.

I realize to some it's a mortal sin to use auto drivers in a home build but my thoughts are these are not the standard run of the mill drivers and figured they could still be put to good use.

Give me your opinions on this area...

Crossovers I will need some help on
This may be a bigger problem. Do you know the Thiele/Small parameters for these drivers? Focal should publish them somewhere. These T/S parameters will allow you to build an enclosure with the correct dimensions for the best performance. Without that info, you would be shooting in the dark.

Read more about T/S parameters here http://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/

As far as crossovers go, you cannot expect to purchase something off-the-shelf and have it work. That's where DIY custom design software comes in. It isn't trivial to use this, and if this seems like a big step for you, I'd advise that you sell these drivers, and buy a pair of good speakers for home use.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Focal makes nice drivers, but if you want bass, forget the 5" subwoofers.
you should really delete your post and Repost in the DIY section here. Some of the diy guys would assume by build you mean buy components rather than actually build
ding since it is in the general beginner subforum.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I feel implored to echo the feelings of Swerd here. Without a major undertaking and possibly a major headache those drivers' potential won't likely be realized in the home audio setting.

I believe you should consider looking at home speakers of the prebuilt variety. By doing so you can ensure that you get something that will work correctly, out of the box.

Of course once we know your budget we can begin to explore options for you at the very least for your amplification and possibly a digital front end (CD player).

In the meantime you might head over the Accessories4less.com to take a look at their speakers. I believe they had some nice discounts on Focal's home speaker lines if you're partial to the brand.

S

Sodakrep

Audiophyte
I am not partial to any brand any more. I have the parameters for the speakers so I was not so concerned in that regard. I'm not really intimidated by the crossovers it's just something I haven't had time to read and learn about yet. It all takes time and it seems like I have less and less of that anymore.

The 5" subs are neat but not really useful for much. They worked in my build 10 years ago but don't have a broad use fullness outside of that specific scenario.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I am not partial to any brand any more. I have the parameters for the speakers so I was not so concerned in that regard. I'm not really intimidated by the crossovers it's just something I haven't had time to read and learn about yet. It all takes time and it seems like I have less and less of that anymore.

The 5" subs are neat but not really useful for much. They worked in my build 10 years ago but don't have a broad use fullness outside of that specific scenario.
Here is the standard (and oversimplified) method how a DIY speaker is designed. First build a cabinet based on the T/S parameters. For example, build a 2-way speaker using the Utopia 6.5" mid woofer and the tweeter (1"?), using the T/S parameters to design an appropriate sized cabinet for best bass performance. At this point the cabinet doesn't have to be finished.

Next, mount the drivers, and measure each individual driver's frequency response and impedance curves. From that data, choose appropriate crossover frequencies and roll-off curves, etc. This requires a measuring set up, measuring software, and loudspeaker crossover design software. It costs money and it takes time to learn to use it properly. If you can find a DIY speaker builder nearby who has the rig and the experience, maybe you can interest him in helping on the project.

If DIY appeals to you, but you don't want to go whole hog on the measuring rig, there are good kits available. The design work is already done, you build the cabinet and assemble the crossover. See Madisound, Parts Express, and Meniscus for good kits.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
All you need to build a speaker is the t/s parameters. You can use Siberian's speaker designer, winisd, or any number of other programs to get the optimal enclosure size. For crossovers you can go passive or active these days for about the same cost unless. I favor active because it give you far more flexibility in adjusting the design. I'd at the very least start active then use that as a basis for going passive later.

Personally I'd give the build with your focals a shot first, but I love building speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis