Star Wars: The Force Awakens - and the series re-awakens *(spoilers)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
that was awesome!

My buddy who does the Comic Con shows as a toy vendor sent me that link. I was actually surprised how well it was done considering it was home made lol

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That was annoying for sure.

Kylo Ren getting his a$$ handed to him my a little girl who was never even trained for 1 minute was even more annoying.

What about Kylo Ren trying to dress up like Darth Vader? I've seen better Halloween costumes. :)

Darth Vader's body armor & head gear had a real purpose. Ren's costume was a joke.
That's because he is a joke, he's not supposed to be some super villain. That is not how he was portrayed. Seems like everyone is wanting to compare him to Darth Vader. I gave credit to the film makers for not trying to replicate Vader's presence, as I'm sure it was very tempting for the studio to put pressure on the film makers to do so.

"Retro" is not exactly the right term, but my problem with it was that it did try to keep a little too much with the originals. While the nostalgic aspect is appreciated, it could have done something new. It almost felt like I was watching the originals to the point that I could have just watched them instead... TOO MUCH FAN SERVICE. And I agree, it was basically a rehash of the plot of A New Hope with some Empire elements.
I felt it did a fine job of setting the stage without giving too much away. At least they didn't do the weird cutaways (probably the incorrect terminology) for fan service. Lucas did that in the prequels and talk about being nostalgic.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't take Kylo as a Darth replacement, at which point he became less useful. He is still learning and as was mentioned in the film - his training needs to be completed aka Darth Luke lol. Let him out without completing his "potty training". They didn't try to create a new Darth entirely, but they did try to fill most of the shoes of the same original characters, some somewhat successfully IMO, but not all.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Rey, wasn't conceived by the "midichlorians" was she? :p

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Gene,

You mentioned how great its characters are. Well I seen that for free on youtube and not convinced.

Okay now the thing that matters the most since this is Audio forum. "keep listening"!

So was you listening?

Was there any
Dialogue pans? I mean good, fabricated dialouge panning with performers on-screen and any off screen dialouge pans in the style of GRAVITY as that film is still my Holy Grail benchmark sounding bluray, that I have listened too decades!

Was the sound effects of on screen to off-screen sound objects good and can you give a good detailed idea with any screen captures from the film that are on the net already?

What about Foley sound work was footsteps good? Did they pan and move with the performers or where they like stuck in the centre when a performer walks from one side of the screen or off screen to the surrounds.

Oh yeah, I know what to look for and listen for if I was watching a film. It comes incredibly naturally for me, to listen out for.

Would you pay to see it again at the same cinema on your own and pay more stricter attention to listening.

Oh you didn't mention the cinema name or screen number, is it that shameless of cinema? I would always mentioned the cinema and screen number and where I was sat. This is technical forum so try and see if you can sale the sound aspect of it to me. Its out around April 2016 well could be a Han, "first 1st" joke, then? :D

So what was the surrounds like oh you didn't see this in atmos cinema with cybertron dangling on truss overhead? :p

Was it a 7.1 surround cinema or noooo, not LIEMAX 12ch. What haven't they heard of below surround yet?

What was the SW like or was it all smooth with transparency that was undetectable as that = a good sounding cinema and I listened to some holy mess ones in 1999 with episode 1, not that it was the mix it was it the set up in town it was a jumble of mess. I knew I should have seen Episode 1, at the UCI High Wycombe in THX.

odoen screen 1, outdated stage LCR channels and no SW. The surrounds was okay sounding thou I miss the sound of these flush overhead surrounds in the ceiling. The auditorium is circular shape with odd shaped design curve fitted to the ceiling with some surrounds fitted on the straight corners at the back of the auditorium and with a few more between the projection port window on the walls above the seating of back row but are set too far forwards so any surround is going to sound ahead rather than "over your shoulder its behind you"! The rest of surrounds are fitted around the curved shape of the ceiling. They would be better had they fitted them on the back wall and side walls (which they more less did some years later with the sidewalls but still no change to some x12 around the curve. They sounded okay as long as your sat some distance from them. I wasn't going to spend money for middle BS "superior seat" LOL I just my years of listening. Front row with deep curved Cinerama looked cool with, Episode 1. The stage channels can only do maybe 80Hz at best? Or a shade lower? But too low down the right stage channel bass mid produced an sound that sounds like "bottoming"! The HF highs JBL 2360 horns fitted on the old bass cabs, Volt. The horns sounded nice with nice detail on Foley of Palpatine, in scene where he talks to Queen Amidala, I can hear the footsteps moving across the red carpet and coming to stand still, oh that nice sound of the shoe sole rubbing against the carpet. It made me look and listen from left to right. And that is from sound "keep listening" from 1999 or today as well.

odoen screen 6 JBL all around but poorly set up. The stage channels due to the screen width of the original was truly VHS letterbox! The screen width was narrowed inwards so the scope 2.35:1 was all centered in the middle and the stage channels sounded narrow and hopeless to listen too. The SW was over the top in SPL db level. The stage bass sounded/felt weak in dynamic range. What mess!

The only thing that seemed to work was the JBL surrounds 8330 that was all clearly visible around the narrow tiny size auditorium that was once very LARGE up until 1989 when it was gutted into, five halves.

ABC screen 1, was no better with most of x6 unknown surround speakers 2-way 12" bass and mid bullet horn tweeter I think? Most was knackered, and the surrounds sounded very weak sounding due to most of the SPL db level dropped down and not matching the level of single stage channel.

The JBL 4675 x5 behind the screen sounded fair the bass level was better but not hard enough to be felt, not like High Wycome or Empire 1, with proper THX baffle wall and turning/EQ.

The SW was kinder like I think knackered, done in around a few years ago with Event Horizon (1997) in SR-D, I think that large ball thing rolling around did some damage as the film sound fine on its first night in SR-D and few nights later I saw the film again that was when I noticed a loud crackle popping sound coming from behind the screen and knew exactly what it was. It had kinder remained that way with crackle n' pop for a few years until someone was bothered to fix it.

UCI tower park one of the small mirrored screens wasn't any better sounding or feeling the bass. I think there was an actual sub JBL being used then. About time. Took a peek a year later in 2000 when I saw Mission To Mars, oh a JBL 4645B.

Played Episode 1, (1999) theatrical a few nights ago only side 3 duel of the fates lightsabers bass mid I feel against the seat or my body as it whips though the air or fabricated sound effect of lows moving up and down in level or fading in and out on the mix LCR and coming in on the surrounds or hearing Obi-Wan's lightsaber, Zoooooom! across the right surround array then on screen right to centre, at forcible fast speeds! Then joins in with Qui-Gon to battle the Maul. (you know the scene)?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So Luke Skywalker could have simply killed Kylo Ren and most bad guys and saved a lot of lives, but he didn't?

I predict: Ren kills his mom. Tomboy Rey is trained by Luke in episode 8. Tomboy Rey eventually kills Ren in episode 9.

So it's the Rey and Ren story. :D

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
So Luke Skywalker could have simply killed Kylo Ren and most bad guys and saved a lot of lives, but he didn't?
I'll preface by saying I've not read the novelization and SPOILERS

I suppose it's possible he could have when he was amidst training him, but Ben Solo probably hadn't done anything at that point that would have merited Luke destroying him. He was probably under the protection of Snoke by the time he had become Kylo Ren, or at the very least far enough away from Luke who I assume had gone into hiding for much of Snoke and Kylo Rens' reign. As I understand it, Luke believed he had failed Ben Solo in his training and wished to allow the Force to become myth, so none could follow those footsteps. I don't know if Luke's self induced exile put him at such a distance that he was unable to feel the force, of if Snoke was able to cloud Luke's vision through the force making him unable to see what was happening.

It is peculiar though. If he knew Ben Solo had gone to the dark side and became Kylo Ren I presume he knew of Snoke's existence as well, so what would the benefit of trying to pass the force into myth accomplish?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So Luke is a chicken. Instead of facing his mistake or failure (to train Ren), he hides like a coward. Not much of a Jedi to me.

To me, Snoke is the replacement for the Emperor, Ren is the replacement for Vader, and Rey is the replacement for Luke.

I guess Han Solo is sort of the replacement for Obi-Wan.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You might want to put that last part as a spolier :)

Yes, like I said, they're just establishing replacements for the same old characters and rehashing the story. We had an unknowing offspring of jedi stranded on a desert planet, cantina, death star, trench run with x-wing, near climax saber battle, etc...

We don't know Finn's background yet and he says he doesn't know - Lando offspring? How about Captain Phasma? Who is SHE? Since they didn't remove her mask or really talk about her. Leia and Rei clearly know each other
(niece obviously)
but Han does not because he was not around.

Presumably Luke went into hiding so he could wait for Rei to "awaken", since she is destined to be the next significant Jedi. Not unlike Obi-wan was no longer training Jedi because he failed with Anakin. Han thought he was the reason Ben (Kylo) went to the dark side because he wasn't around, but there's more to that story that hasn't been filled in yet. Presumably in the next movie or two we will get that backstory. Good info here, but nothing revelatory:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/all-the-backstory-you-desperately-want-to-know-about-th-1751196966?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=wednesdayPM

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would rank Star Wars in the following order from best to worst:
  • Episode V - Empire Strikes Back
  • Episode IV - New Hope
  • Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
  • Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
  • Episode VII - Force Awakens
  • Episode I - Phantom Menace
  • Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Episode 1 is ranked 6.5 on IMDB (about 500K users).

I think Episode 7 (was rated 8.7, now 8.5) should be ranked 6.6 when done. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, and Abrams isn't directing the next one. Dude who did Looper will be. That was a decent popcorn flick, so we'll see how that turns out.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, and Abrams isn't directing the next one. Dude who did Looper will be. That was a decent popcorn flick, so we'll see how that turns out.
The next one in the trilogy yes. The next "Star Wars" film will be Rogue One which will be released this year and is directed by Gareth Edwards (Godzilla 2014).

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

I predict: Ren kills his mom. Tomboy Rey is trained by Luke in episode 8. Tomboy Rey eventually kills Ren in episode 9.

So it's the Rey and Ren story. :D
He could have, it would be so easy to kill your best friend's son. The Truth is the Master Sith Lord Walt Disney used the Jedi Mind Trick on Luke because he didn't want to lose the billions of dollars in lost revenue if their wasn't a story or sequal! ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The next one in the trilogy yes. The next "Star Wars" film will be Rogue One which will be released this year and is directed by Gareth Edwards (Godzilla 2014).
Yeah, but should I care about those "in between" ones? Aren't there like 6 more (including the trilogy) coming, one every year or so? (to capitalize on the cash in).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
He could have, it would be so easy to kill your best friend's son. The Truth is the Master Sith Lord Walt Disney used the Jedi Mind Trick on Luke because he didn't want to lose the billions of dollars in lost revenue if their wasn't a story or sequal! ;)
At least it wasn't a squeaqual.

*Shudders*

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe I just simply outgrew Star Wars just like I outgrew watching cartoons.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Just saw it. It was beyond bad. I wouldn't even give it the courtesy of analyzing it.

I see a pattern emerging though, in all the re-hashing and someone here mentioned it. Hollywood seems to think it has found the recipe, the successful formula for reviving good old movies by simply making a collage of all the iconic scenes and doing them over. (And you don't have to correct me on the "Hollywood" thing, even if it's outside Hollywood it's the method that makes it what it is)

But beware, Hollywood. What you so desperately try to achieve wasn't achieved by desperately trying to re-hash something iconic. Not even in popular culture. It is the moving of the boundaries that you crave, but there is no boundary moving in re-hashing. So the formula is less than successful. Chasing box office still leaves you vulnerable to all the criticism saying that your ways make no room for great things.

killdozzer

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw it. It was beyond bad. I wouldn't even give it the courtesy of analyzing it.

I see a pattern emerging though, in all the re-hashing and someone here mentioned it. Hollywood seems to think it has found the recipe, the successful formula for reviving good old movies by simply making a collage of all the iconic scenes and doing them over. (And you don't have to correct me on the "Hollywood" thing, even if it's outside Hollywood it's the method that makes it what it is)

But beware, Hollywood. What you so desperately try to achieve wasn't achieved by desperately trying to re-hash something iconic. Not even in popular culture. It is the moving of the boundaries that you crave, but there is no boundary moving in re-hashing. So the formula is less than successful. Chasing box office still leaves you vulnerable to all the criticism saying that your ways make no room for great things.

killdozzer
As bad as you and I think SW7 was :D, as long as people pay money and the studios make billions of dollars, the studios will just continue making the same crap (to us).

I can't blame them. I'm not rich. So money matters. If I could make a masterpiece that wouldn't make me a lot money versus a piece of crap that would make me billions, I would make the piece of crap. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know. Perhaps it could be worse. Michael Bay could have directed it. :D

I can't believe he is still directing the next Transformers. :(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis