stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
November 20, 2007 has been given as the release date for Star Trek-The Original Series. It consists of 10 discs of remastered and enhanced material on HD DVD/DVD format, I know Blu-ray Trekkies will be sore. The sometimes cheesy and under-budgeted 1960's special effects have been replaced with modern CGI based material, including upgraded backgrounds and spacecraft, all else is true to the original including the Enterprise itself, which was scaled from the original 1960s model that now rests in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. The original soundtrack has been kept along with Kirk's opening monologue though cleaned up digitally. The set will retail for about $217.99, the HD DVD discs will feature Dolby True HD and a long list of interactive goodies geared toward trekkies. The new movie "Star Trek" is scheduled to be released in 2009 and it will be based on a "young" crew in Starfleet Academy before they were assigned to the Enterprise.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
The cheesy effects are one of the things that make the original series a classic. "Improving" them is sacrelige. (I also enjoy seeing the same backgrounds used on "different" planets, the fact that many of the "video screens" are obviously posters with wrinkled paper, the styrofoam boulders, and the fact that Spock's ears don't quite blend in, among other things.)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
It should be interesting indeed, I wonder how many trekkies that haven't adopted a high def dvd format will buy HD DVD to worship a young Kirk in high def? And, will this affect the balance in the "war?":)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The cheesy effects are one of the things that make the original series a classic. "Improving" them is sacrelige. (I also enjoy seeing the same backgrounds used on "different" planets, the fact that many of the "video screens" are obviously posters with wrinkled paper, the styrofoam boulders, and the fact that Spock's ears don't quite blend in, among other things.)
A lot of folks felt the same when the original Star Wars was "enhanced" by Lucas. They felt it was sacrilegious too.

As long as you can get the old there should be no real issues... You can still watch originals in all their glory on Hi-Fi VHS... :)

Just don't change the mythology as Lucas did by having Greedo shoot first, etc...

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
As long as you can get the old there should be no real issues... You can still watch originals in all their glory on Hi-Fi VHS...
...and on DVD. I have the full series set, and I love it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It should be interesting indeed, I wonder how many trekkies that haven't adopted a high def dvd format will buy HD DVD to worship a young Kirk in high def? And, will this affect the balance in the "war?":)
Not me:D As was stated, in a way, the film is old, old technology props and everything. I am surprised that Enterprise series had better stuff on the ship or at least didn't look a generation before Kirk. Does not compute.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Not me:D As was stated, in a way, the film is old, old technology props and everything. I am surprised that Enterprise series had better stuff on the ship or at least didn't look a generation before Kirk. Does not compute.
Yeah M in a way the program may be old, but remember trekkies aren't your typical fan, they're dyed-in-the-wool. Now the HD DVD/DVD enhanced will be brought up to "speed" with "better" matte backgrounds, sapcecraft,etc. I'm interested to see the marketing data after the release.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
WE prefer to be called Trekkers!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I grew up watching Star Trek because my dad was a big fan. I've liked that show ever since. I've seen a few minutes of the new ones with updated special effects. Wow, what a difference. Some of the visuals are just gorgeous.

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
I am hoping that the new HD-DVD set is not based on the modified ST-TOS episodes that have been running recently on various independent stations across the country (I have seen a variety of different modified episodes over the past 6 months). These modified episodes had CGI space scenes with M-class (Earth-like) planets looking like Earth from space (clouds with the proper colors for the land and water), however 4 out of 5 of the space scenes with the Enterprise looked bad with the Enterprise appearing more comic-bookish than a real ship. The "people" scenes all had colors that were over-enhanced and blacks that were saturated (and this was on a CRT TV) -- a very poor job of video processing in my opinion. Finally, the audio sounded far worse that the audio on the DVD seasons that came out a few years back.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Sorry Mr. Mudshark from now on Trekker, live long and prosper!:D
Not to worry resident spelunker. The wife calls us Spockies.

BTW, there is a Star Trek game coming out on Wii. Next generation, sadly.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've dug more info on the production of Star Trek:

Karl Urban- McCoy (Urban was in the movies Chronicles of Riddick, Bourne Supremacy )

Chris Pine- Kirk

Simon Pegg- Scotty (Peg was in Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz)

John Cho- Takei (He was in American Pie and Harold and Kumar Go To
Whitecastle)

Zachary Quinto- Spock

Zoe Saldana- Uhura

Anton Yelchin- Chekov

All these actors are confirmed. I like Karl Urban, good action star.

There might be a special role for William Shatner as an old Kirk, but no decision made.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Karl Urban- McCoy (Urban was in the movie Chronicles of Riddick)
As well as playing multiple roles in Xena. Oh, how my TV knowledge shames me. As some redemption, I stopped watching after the fourth or fifth season (a couple of years after it started going downhill quickly).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis