Star distance measurement

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
A new poster in the thread UFOs posted a link to how star distance is measure, triangulation.
There is another link that has a bit more information for the curious that goes beyond that, used in astronomy.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

There are a number of methods to calculate such great distances. Triangulations is for short distance only :D to the limits of its accuracy :rolleyes:

Check out the rest of that home page, or page mark it for future look :p

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
mtrycrafts said:
A new poster in the thread UFOs posted a link to how star distance is measure, triangulation.
There is another link that has a bit more information for the curious that goes beyond that, used in astronomy.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

There are a number of methods to calculate such great distances. Triangulations is for short distance only :D to the limits of its accuracy :rolleyes:

Check out the rest of that home page, or page mark it for future look :p
Just for the record, I personally wasn't questioning the star distance calculation, just pointing out that some people do. I don't really find it that relevent because, as was said, who cares if you're off a bit. I was just presenting an argument I've heard from others passionate about the subject. They, however, may be arguing more with their hearts than with their brains. These individuals try to dispel any evidence that may contradict the bible. I just thought people might be interested in knowing how these measurements are derived. I found it interesting, but I'm a science geek :) .

Thanks, mtrycrafts, for finding that information. If you can follow the math, it is pretty interesting how these distances are calculated.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
alandamp said:
Just for the record, I personally wasn't questioning the star distance calculation, just pointing out that some people do. I don't really find it that relevent because, as was said, who cares if you're off a bit. I was just presenting an argument I've heard from others passionate about the subject. They, however, may be arguing more with their hearts than with their brains. These individuals try to dispel any evidence that may contradict the bible. I just thought people might be interested in knowing how these measurements are derived. I found it interesting, but I'm a science geek :) .

Thanks, mtrycrafts, for finding that information. If you can follow the math, it is pretty interesting how these distances are calculated.

No, I don't follow that far up the ladder :D

No, the distances cannot be accurate to anything we feel accurate is here on the planet but as you indicate, it is plenty close enough and any change in the method will not alter the vasteness of the universe.

I also looked up carbon dating as that was included. Had a run in with a not too informed person how inaccurat it is in his opinion. He gave an example using it on a live tree :D I think he was an ID kind of guy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis