SSD drives pricing starting to free fall?

jinjuku

jinjuku

In the span of 60 days 960GB SSD's went from $480 to now hitting $200.

240GB are starting to tickle $60.

For the price of a very expensive boutique Ethernet cable you can get almost 2TB of SSD.

I know a lot peoples FLAC collection that would fit on just one.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not all SSDs are alike. Be careful -Crucial M500 960GB is indeed very cheap, but not very robust. Samsung 850 EVO is much more modern, but based on much slower TLC chips.

On overall - you're right - prices are falling, but be wary not to confuse a cheap deadbeat horse with rocket ship (like Intel 750 for example). Good performance still cost premium

jinjuku

jinjuku

I thought at this point even the vanilla SSD's had much better AFR than spinners.

The Crucial you mentioned is still light years ahead in straight up speed and IOPS.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought at this point even the vanilla SSD's had much better AFR than spinners.

The Crucial you mentioned is still light years ahead in straight up speed and IOPS.
even a deadbeat horse can outrun snail :)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It's good news. I guess they're getting a little more competition with wider use of PCIe 3.0 SSD's.
Wasn't there a problem with some SSD's not supporting TRIM and getting slower with use?
Some interesting new features with the Intel 6th Gen CPU's.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Holy crap, Yesterday I compared prices of Enterprise 1.9TB 10k rpm mechanical Hard drive vs new Samsung 863 Enterprise (TLC) 1.9TB SSD.
Wow, just wow
HD- from $700 and up quickly to $900
Samsung SSD - $1100

Yes, TLC flash is not the fastest kid on the block, but it still outruns any mechanical drive with ease.

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Older model SSDs are falling in price because of new technology. SATA SSDs (600 MB/s or so read/write) are cheap because there are much faster PCI-E or M.2 cards out now at double or more the speed of SATA SSDs (2400MB/s read 1200 MB/s write). PCI-E is a pretty fast interface, but that is even a bottle neck for SSD technology. In the works is a new SSD which uses the ram interface for increased speed.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Older model SSDs are falling in price because of new technology. SATA SSDs (600 MB/s or so read/write) are cheap because there are much faster PCI-E or M.2 cards out now at double or more the speed of SATA SSDs (2400MB/s read 1200 MB/s write). PCI-E is a pretty fast interface, but that is even a bottle neck for SSD technology. In the works is a new SSD which uses the ram interface for increased speed.
So, you think the SSD interface technology dictates the SSD pricing? Not, much more perhaps, that the price per GB of flash storage chips are falling?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
jinjuku

jinjuku

My test lab machine is a Vanilla 4 core Kabini with 16GB of RAM and a 240 and 480 GB Sandisk II SSD.

I run 6 machines for scenario building and testing and for $400 with the MS's free Hyper Visor they are all incredibly responsive.

Thank goodness that mechanical storage is finally on it's way out after ~ 60 years(?)

T

Tao1

Audioholic
So, you think the SSD interface technology dictates the SSD pricing? Not, much more perhaps, that the price per GB of flash storage chips are falling?
That is part of it too.

The M.2 drives are at about the same price as the SATA drives were a couple of years ago for a similar capacity.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis