Spider PowerForce headphones

S

steve6

Enthusiast
For pop and rock fans, these new headphones are hard to match at $129.

WHAT’S IN THE BOX
Full-size stereo headphones, 9- and 4-foot cables with cable-lock function, quarter-inch adaptor

SOUND
If a sleek new sports car or a beautiful woman is an eye-opener, then these headphones have to be classified as ear-openers. In fact, they might even blow out a bit of wax. These are highly efficient headphones that will play pop, rock and hip-hop music as loud as you like, but with an impressive amount of detail and a surprisingly wide and realistic soundstage.

It’s my understanding that prototypes were returned to the engineers several times for fine-tuning until the proper result was attained. This definitely shows in the final sound. These ‘phones boast an unyielding presence and immediacy, with oodles of bass. But the low end never obscures the rest of the spectrum. Utilizing a variety of sources, I ran the gamut, taking in a wide array of sounds, genres and styles: Gotye/Kimbra, DJ Tron, Cristian Arango, Led Zeppelin, Rush, even a dash of Hank Williams and the Beatles. Everything tossed the PowerForce’s way sounded clean and true. Bass-guitar lovers will especially appreciate these. My Grado SR 80’s will be gathering some dust.

But they’re not just for rock and pop. I trotted out a couple of thick vinyl jazz platters for a test run. Miles Davis’ classic “Sketches of Spain” sounded surprisingly smooth through the PowerForce, relaying all the emotional subtlety that Davis and Gil Evans intended. One of my favorite jazz recordings, 1963’s “Ella and Basie,” sounded as punchy as I’d ever heard it. The Count Basie band’s trumpet section in particular came through with resounding realism.

PORTABILITY AND BUILD QUALITY
The PowerForce has a very modern and classy look. They easily fold up for those “on the go.” They seem quite rugged; I certainly didn’t treat them gently.

SOUND ISOLATION AND COMFORT
These aren’t specifically promoted as providing a lot of isolation, but they do keep an impressive amount of extraneous noise out. You can easily get lost in your own private musical world. I also found them quite light and comfortable, even during extended listening sessions.

CONS
In this price range, it’s hard to think of a real “con.” No doubt, these headphones will be too forward and “bassy” for some ears. But that’s a matter of personal and listening preference. There are plenty of other offerings aimed at admirers of classical music and acoustic jazz.

CONCLUSION
The PowerForce, in its price class, can obviously be compared to products like Beats and Soul, but they offer so much more. Yes, bass heads will find the thump they want. But these headphones were designed and tuned to be musical, and that’s what sets them apart. The detail and soundstage are most impressive for a $129 headphone.

MORE INFO
HDMI Cables | Spider Home Theater Cables

Attachments

Last edited:
dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
The PowerForce has a very modern and classy look.
I'm gonna have to disagree there. I would never be caught wearing those :eek:

These are modern and classy looking:

Do you have any other headphones that you can directly compare them to?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
you can't have modern and classy in same product - it is like saying it's black and white (yes - it can be gray, but you wont call it black and white)

Spider headphone's look is obviously "inspired" by a certain Marvel comic book and they do look over the top stylized which one COULD call modern (with big stretch)

B&W however look very slick, retro and classy, but gosh - they are do not have modern look...

These DO look modern (Sony MDR SA5000)

Bottom line: I don't want to bash anyone's choices, but I'll stick to my all time most fav headphones - Fostex T20 and T50s

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis