Spendor vs. Totem Acoustics

G

GMaxx88

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm kind of at a crossroad with purchasing speakers. I've listened to Focals, B&Ws, Vienna Acoustics, Martin Logans, PMCs, Spendors and Totem Acoustics.

I'm looking for an accurate, detailed and good sound stage speaker that will be played at pretty low volumes while I work into the wee hours of the night. I definitely don't want a bright or loud speaker. I did't take any offecnse but sales people classified me as wanting a "pretty" or mellow speaker. The speakers will be driven by tubes or Mcintosh MA6600.

The one speakers that grabbed me from the beginning were the Totem Acoustic Element Earths. They played great at low levels and the music was projected with detail, accuracy and also had a great soundstage. I was pretty much leaning towards them but have been reading about the company's shoddy service and other things that sort of made me question buying them.

The speakers that came in second were the Spendor D7s. I initially didn't like the speaker as much because of the NAIM amp pairing with them. However, as soon as they were paired with tubes then I found the sound that I wanted out of a speaker.

There's about a $2k difference pricewise between the speakers. So, I'm wondering if I should cough up for the Totems. Are the Totems really worth it over the Spendors? Also, these will probably be the last set of speakers I buy for the next 10 years or so. So, I've been having a hard time deciding and wanted to get some other people's thoughts and advice.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
Hi, I'm kind of at a crossroad with purchasing speakers. I've listened to Focals, B&Ws, Vienna Acoustics, Martin Logans, PMCs, Spendors and Totem Acoustics.

I'm looking for an accurate, detailed and good sound stage speaker that will be played at pretty low volumes while I work into the wee hours of the night. I definitely don't want a bright or loud speaker. I did't take any offecnse but sales people classified me as wanting a "pretty" or mellow speaker. The speakers will be driven by tubes or Mcintosh MA6600.

The one speakers that grabbed me from the beginning were the Totem Acoustic Element Earths. They played great at low levels and the music was projected with detail, accuracy and also had a great soundstage. I was pretty much leaning towards them but have been reading about the company's shoddy service and other things that sort of made me question buying them.

The speakers that came in second were the Spendor D7s. I initially didn't like the speaker as much because of the NAIM amp pairing with them. However, as soon as they were paired with tubes then I found the sound that I wanted out of a speaker.

There's about a $2k difference pricewise between the speakers. So, I'm wondering if I should cough up for the Totems. Are the Totems really worth it over the Spendors? Also, these will probably be the last set of speakers I buy for the next 10 years or so. So, I've been having a hard time deciding and wanted to get some other people's thoughts and advice.

Thanks.
We have dealt with Totem for a few years now. They are a really good group of guys! Any service related problems I would think a dealer should be at the forefront of on behalf of the consumer. We have never had issues with a single Totem speaker but, if we did, I know who to call to get it taken care of so it's strange to me to hear of problems on that front.

The Element Earth is a tremendous speaker and is really meant to be the flagship of their line. Tough to find a lot of fault with it. Price wise, perhaps you can find a dealer who could work with you to get that down some? Like any other line out there a lot of Totem dealers will stick to MSRP, but there are others out there who will work with you. If that's what you want and you'll keep them for a long time.... go for it!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...I'm looking for an accurate, detailed and good sound stage speaker...
I think perceived accuracy is equivocal. :D

It's easy to look at the measurements of speaker to see how accurate it measures. For example, the Totem Sttaf's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +4.59/–2.82 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz, so average on-axis deviation is about +/-3.7dB. So to most "experts", this speaker would not be considered "accurate". Yet, people may still find that this speaker sounds fabulous.

I don't know how the other Totem speakers measure, but again, as long as you think they sound great, then that's the important thing. But if they measure like the Sttaf or worse, I would not consider them "accurate". :D

Again, the point is that measurements can tell us how "accurate" a speaker is, but measurements cannot guarantee how well you like the speaker. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Thanks.
I personally think Totem speakers are over rated. I don't find them accurate. On the other hand I have never heard a Spendor speaker I could not live with. They are in that select group of speakers coming out of a great body of work at BBC engineering. Before you rush to the D7 make sure you sample the Spendor classic line.

G

GMaxx88

Audiophyte
Come on aren't the blue lights cool. You guys are killing me. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Come on aren't the blue lights cool. You guys are killing me. :D
I love those big blue lights and big front metal handles on the McIntosh. They are just too pricy for me. If I could have gotten them for similar prices of my ATI amps, I would have gotten all McIntosh. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here are some example measurements of Spendor speakers.

Spendor Classic SP100R[SUP]2[/SUP] loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Spendor S3/5R[SUP]2[/SUP] loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

The SP100R2 on-axis is +2dB/-5dB from 200Hz-10kHz with uneven off-axis. The $300 Infinity P362 measures a lot more accurate than that.

The S3/5R is +/-2.5dB from 200Hz-10kHz with much more even off-axis. The $300 Infinity P363 also measures better or as accurate as that.

So not all Spendor speakers are "accurate".

Again, the key thing is how you like them after listening to them for a while, not based on what others think or say.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
As some of the members on this thread know, I have been searching for stand-mount speakers for a while now. In the process of auditioning many brands and models both in showrooms and at home, including the Spendor SP1/2R2, I settled on the Totem Element "Fire" as my first choice. I thought it offered the overall best sound for my needs, which include extended late-night listening at low volume, although at some times I found it to be a bit forward in presentation.

The Spendor, although an excellent speaker in the British monitor tradition, just didn't excite me.

I didn't audition the Element "Earth" but I'd imagine it would have better bass response and power handling. And to correct one post on this thread, the Element "Metal" is the top of the line, not the "Earth."

In general I think the Totems are very revealing of the electronics driving them, and the McIntosh or tubes would pair with them very well to balance their forwardness, although I wouldn't characterize the sound you'd get as "mellow."

Maybe your dealer would let you listen at home before buying.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

As some of the members on this thread know, I have been searching for stand-mount speakers for a while now. In the process of auditioning many brands and models both in showrooms and at home, including the Spendor SP1/2R2, I settled on the Totem Element "Fire" as my first choice. I thought it offered the overall best sound for my needs, which include extended late-night listening at low volume, although at some times I found it to be a bit forward in presentation.

The Spendor, although an excellent speaker in the British monitor tradition, just didn't excite me.

I didn't audition the Element "Earth" but I'd imagine it would have better bass response and power handling. And to correct one post on this thread, the Element "Metal" is the top of the line, not the "Earth."

In general I think the Totems are very revealing of the electronics driving them, and the McIntosh or tubes would pair with them very well to balance their forwardness, although I wouldn't characterize the sound you'd get as "mellow."

Maybe your dealer would let you listen at home before buying.
You have described eloquently everything that is wrong with them. Yes, they are edgy and forward, so you get an expensive tube amp with rolled off highs as a partial amelioration.

Speakers are not supposed to excite, the music is.

It's just this nonsense that has been on a roll for the last 20 to 30 years, that has ruined it for just about everybody, especially those sniffing the glue.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Speakers are not supposed to excite, the music is.
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not, but I do agree that the music is what matters. But speakers, like every other component in the chain, add coloration no matter how well designed. Some will appeal more than others, and in the end will add to what is ultimately an emotional experience...exciting or mundane. The answer comes only in the listening.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
But speakers, like every other component in the chain, add coloration no matter how well designed.
Can't say I agree with this, especially if we're talking about cables and other such things. Speakers are a little bit different, but I and many others tend to lean towards that well designed, accurate speakers will sound more alike than different, all other variables accounted for (room and placement mostly).

G

GMaxx88

Audiophyte
I will say after listening to all types of speakers from PMC, Focal, Spendor, B&W, Vienna Acoustics, Martin Logan, Dynaudio and Totem Acoustics that I liked the Totem Acoustics the best. For me their sound with the type of music I listen to was what I preferred and liked. I tried to do all the research and look at what manufacturer's did and what they had to offer. I studied specs and read reviews. Thus, I sort of had a preconceived notion to what I thought I would like and wanted for a speaker but after listening to a bunch with a critical ear expecting certain things then I realized the important thing was to just kick back and see if I enjoyed the music being played on the speakers. The Totem Earths were the one that grabbed me from the get go. They might not suit everyone but something about the way they played for me just made me say that these are the speakers I want to buy. Anyway, thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
then I realized the important thing was to just kick back and see if I enjoyed the music being played on the speakers...They might not suit everyone but something about the way they played for me just made me say that these are the speakers I want to buy.
Well put. Enjoy the ride!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Can't say I agree with this, especially if we're talking about cables and other such things. Speakers are a little bit different, but I and many others tend to lean towards that well designed, accurate speakers will sound more alike than different, all other variables accounted for (room and placement mostly).
If you listen to acoustic instruments as I do, any color or character in a speaker is really annoying. I work hard to beat out any character in my designs that cause speakers to draw any attention to themselves. That is the way it should be. I would not regard any degree of "excitement" in my designs as any type of virtue.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Speakers are a little bit different, but I and many others tend to lean towards that well designed, accurate speakers will sound more alike than different, all other variables accounted for (room and placement mostly).
The less kool-aide in my speakers - the happier I tend to be.

Also I have owned many types of different speaker cables, and the more expensive
ones tend to sound as good, as some 14 awg RadioShack cables.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis