H

hoover

Audiophyte
As you will see, I have no experience in this so it may be a really stupid mistake.
I have installed a 5.1 speaker system in my home. To test it out, I hooked up my (new) Yamaha RX-V1400. The ONLY thing hooked up to the receiver are the speakers (5), subwoofer and FM antenna.
I first started my finding an FM station. All speakers worked, but chalked up the background hiss to bad reception.
Next, I used the Setup routine (with microphone for auto setup). All I get is hiss. I can cycle thru each speaker correctly (i.e. each speaker is getting a signal), but, again, all I get is hiss. When I try to use the auto setup the system stops at the first speaker (hissing)...it does not produce a test tone.
What did I screw up?
Thanks.

K

Krazykaj

Junior Audioholic
hoover said:
As you will see, I have no experience in this so it may be a really stupid mistake.
I have installed a 5.1 speaker system in my home. To test it out, I hooked up my (new) Yamaha RX-V1400. The ONLY thing hooked up to the receiver are the speakers (5), subwoofer and FM antenna.
I first started my finding an FM station. All speakers worked, but chalked up the background hiss to bad reception.
So you get music from a radio station, just with bad reception, your amp is working ok then?

hoover said:
Next, I used the Setup routine (with microphone for auto setup). All I get is hiss. I can cycle thru each speaker correctly (i.e. each speaker is getting a signal), but, again, all I get is hiss.
It sounds like, when you are setting up the speakers you are getting the 'pink' noise, which is prefectly normal, that is what the amp is supposed to produce, so you can measure the level of sound from each speaker and make sure they are all equal. it is perfectly normal :)

hoover said:
When I try to use the auto setup the system stops at the first speaker (hissing)...it does not produce a test tone.
What did I screw up?
Thanks.
Not quite sure what you mean here 'the system stops at the first speaker'. But in terms of the setup, if all it is doing is Identifing the speakers or checking there levels, then the pink noise, the hiss, is the test tone.

hope that was somewhat of a help,
don't know, maybe i didn't understand you correctly :)

cheers
KJ

T

thomsoad

Audiophyte
Not my 1st post

Looks like some changes have been made to this forum.

Anyway, to your "problem".
You dont have one.

The hissing on the manual setup is normal. This function is designed to calibrate your speakers. Sit where you will be for movies and set each speaker accordingly, so you have an even sound level from all speakers (or adjust back higher or front higher, whatever you like). The reason it hisses is it is an even volume constant sound so you can calibrate either by ear or by a SP meter.

The reason why you do not hear the hiss when you use auto setup is just for that reason.
A-U-T-O S-E-T-U-P. The receiver sets your speaker volumes AUTOMATICALLY, therefore there is nothing for you to adjust. Hence, no rotating hissing sound from the speakers. As long as you dont hear a hiss playing CD's or DVD's your fine. The Yamaha receiver is meant to do this.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
thomsoad said:
Looks like some changes have been made to this forum.

Anyway, to your "problem".
You dont have one.

The hissing on the manual setup is normal. This function is designed to calibrate your speakers. Sit where you will be for movies and set each speaker accordingly, so you have an even sound level from all speakers (or adjust back higher or front higher, whatever you like). The reason it hisses is it is an even volume constant sound so you can calibrate either by ear or by a SP meter.

The reason why you do not hear the hiss when you use auto setup is just for that reason.
A-U-T-O S-E-T-U-P. The receiver sets your speaker volumes AUTOMATICALLY, therefore there is nothing for you to adjust. Hence, no rotating hissing sound from the speakers. As long as you dont hear a hiss playing CD's or DVD's your fine. The Yamaha receiver is meant to do this.

Without rotating the pink noise through all the speakers, how does the receiver measure distances for each speaker and level match all channels in the auto mode?

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
He does have a problem.

During autosetup, the 1400 cycles through all speakers with pink noise automatically. The first thing the auto does it test each speaker for connectivity and phase by going pop pop pop pop pop for each speaker. Then it goes through a routine checking levels and equalization.

So if it is stopping at the first speaker (which is usually the front left - I have the 1400 too), it is because there is an error, either in the wiring or phase (+ and - are bassackwards somewhere), or in the speaker set up. Do you have the five speakers inputed into the program?

Did you get any error messages?

In this order, do the following:

Double check all wires for connection and quality.
Double check all wires for correct + and - connections
Double check all set up routines for the number of speakers you're using.
Run the auto set up without skipping any steps.

Are you using the dipole wires for the FM antenna? If so, get rid of it and use an amplified Terk antenna, works great for FM and TV, even in the basement. Hook up a DVD player, that a lot of receiver and speakers for use as a radio.

T

thomsoad

Audiophyte
I still dont see the problem

He said in the begining that all his speakers work and when using the manual setup the hissing sound rotates to all speakers. When he states hiss I am assuming he is meaning the sound of static. So I do not see how there would be a polarity problem on auto setup but is somehow magically correcting itself on manual.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
thomsoad said:
He said in the begining that all his speakers work and when using the manual setup the hissing sound rotates to all speakers. When he states hiss I am assuming he is meaning the sound of static. So I do not see how there would be a polarity problem on auto setup but is somehow magically correcting itself on manual.
Oops, good point, missed that.

Be that as it may, if the unit is stopping the auto set-up routine after the first speaker, there is a problem. The 1400 first test the wiring to all speakers from FL then C then FR then SR then RSR then RSL then SL then PL then PR then subs. Since he only has 5.1 leave out the Rear and presence speakers. It stops after FR, so there is a problem somewhere.

K

Krazykaj

Junior Audioholic
i think in order to help Hoover, a bit more info is needed :)

KJ

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

thomsoad said:

If the auto feature checks for phase, then it must be able to detect out of phase speakers. I don't know if the receiver can or does this.

The posters hiss is the pink noise. Normal static would not rotate from speaker to speaker.In manual mode, it doesn't check phase and you are forcing the next speaker to play the pink noise regardless of phasing problems.

All speaker swoking and having problems witht he test signals are two separate issues.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Krazykaj said:
i think in order to help Hoover, a bit more info is needed :)

KJ

Yeah I know, I'm dancing as fast as I can. Cannot replicate the situation though. If Hoover can chime in here and at least let us know if he read the manual in an effort to resolve his problem. I checked the manul too though and did not do a thorough search yet.

T

thomsoad

Audiophyte
My fault on the clarity of my comment. That hiss noise IS the "pink" noise. But the noise DOES sound like the sound of static.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

thomsoad said:
My fault on the clarity of my comment. That hiss noise IS the "pink" noise. But the noise DOES sound like the sound of static.

Yes, pink noise will sound like static :) It contains all the freq 20Hz-20kHz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis