Speakers for Marantz 2245

B

Bud Lamar

Audiophyte
I am attempting to build a proper vintage system in my normal sized living room with quite high ceilings. After weeks of research, I've elected the Marantz 2245 as my foundation. I have a turntable and will be playing CD's and, only when absolutely necessary, some audio files. I like volume but prefer clarity. My tastes are all over the map but if it has some form of string and good vocals (Amalia Rodrigues to Dylan to Jagger to John Dyer Baizley - I realize some would argue that all of those are "good" vocals). What would be an efficient speaker choice for my 2245? Bear in mind that I have 45 WPC and about 300 DFS (dollars for speakers).

R

Rino

Audiophyte
I am attempting to build a proper vintage system in my normal sized living room with quite high ceilings. After weeks of research, I've elected the Marantz 2245 as my foundation. I have a turntable and will be playing CD's and, only when absolutely necessary, some audio files. I like volume but prefer clarity. My tastes are all over the map but if it has some form of string and good vocals (Amalia Rodrigues to Dylan to Jagger to John Dyer Baizley - I realize some would argue that all of those are "good" vocals). What would be an efficient speaker choice for my 2245? Bear in mind that I have 45 WPC and about 300 DFS (dollars for speakers).
Canadian Fluance may just be the ticket. The XL7 series should satisfy, they are my goto for great-sound-per bucks! Personally using Technics by Panasonic sb4500a 2ways are very pleasing paired with my 2252B .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as you don't expect that 45wpc to get really loud, Affordable Accuracy Monitors would be hard to beat for your DFS. Can't think of a high sensitivity speaker in that price range other than maybe something from Klipsch....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You're heading into this backwards.

Choose your speakers, then choose a suitable amp to drive the speakers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As long as you don't expect that 45wpc to get really loud, Affordable Accuracy Monitors would be hard to beat for your DFS. Can't think of a high sensitivity speaker in that price range other than maybe something from Klipsch....
AA's with his 45wpc amp (probably conservative rating) should drive a pair of AAs near wall to 8ft at 99.3db SPL - which is pretty loud. (likely a bit higher)
If you still want it louder, but you "DFS" doesn't change, these may be an option:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html - slightly above budget, but still decent speakers and they'd play in same conditions as above at 106.8db, 7.5db louder than AAs (+10db is doubling the volume)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The AAs have pretty low sensitivity so they're not a perfect pairing for a low power amp IMO. I love their sound, but in this case, I'd probably look at something with higher sensitivity.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Old thread from 2014.
But since it is revived, any thread mentioning old Marantz receivers deserves a pic:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Old thread from 2014.
sheeeeet. I'm usually good at catching these things, but given such small amount of responses and no old timers on the thread made me miss it :oops:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Canadian Fluance may just be the ticket. The XL7 series should satisfy, they are my goto for great-sound-per bucks! Personally using Technics by Panasonic sb4500a 2ways are very pleasing paired with my 2252B .
This is ancient thread. Don't try to answer such in most cases. OP is long gone

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL only looked at date of Rino's post. With the number of people interested in these old receivers, might still be useful to someone...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Old thread from 2014.
But since it is revived, any thread mentioning old Marantz receivers deserves a pic:
I'm a sucker for a good Marantz vintage receiver photo. I liked the way they looked almost as much as the other box I couldn't afford, the McIntosh from the same era. Good lookin product design.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

Back in the day I owned a 2245 for ages. I eventually gave it to my dad when I bought a Marantz 2325 which was an amazing receiver for the day. I eventually sold that to a brother when I moved into the surround sound world.
Marantz 2325 Receiver.jpg

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Gents,

Back in the day I owned a 2245 for ages. I eventually gave it to my dad when I bought a Marantz 2325 which was an amazing receiver for the day. I eventually sold that to a brother when I moved into the surround sound world.View attachment 24249
Looking at those old receivers really drives home how important the tuner section was at that time!
Between the tuning dial with "FM" and "STEREO" indicators, the two tuning meters, and the thumb-wheel tuning knob:cool:, a lot of emphasis was put on the FM experience!
What is the "Tone Mode" knob about? I was thinking perhaps test tones, but don't understand what the "In" setting would be for!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at those old receivers really drives home how important the tuner section was at that time!
Between the tuning dial with "FM" and "STEREO" indicators, the two tuning meters, and the thumb-wheel tuning knob:cool:, a lot of emphasis was put on the FM experience!
What is the "Tone Mode" knob about? I was thinking perhaps test tones, but don't understand what the "In" setting would be for!
I don't see such a tone mode knob/button..... at least not in the manual https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/2245.shtml

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
If I remember correctly (it was ages ago...) the Tone Switch allowed you to change the center point for the boost/cut of the bass & treble. I think the default was 500 & 8,000 Hz but I could be wrong. I never had this before (or since) on the front of a Receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis