P

Pan Pan

Audiophyte
Hello,

I have a pair of SONY ss-a30 speakers with the following specs:
6 ohms
maximum input power:60 W
sensitivity: 88 dB(1W, 1m)
I am looking for an amp under 100 dollars. Do you think i could find something decent for the price?
I found S.M.S.L SA-98E TDA7498E Class-T Digital Amplifier with the following specs:

Continuous power(36V,5.7A)
60W / 4Ω; THD = 10%
Peak Power
120W / 4Ω ; THD = 10%
Number of channels
Audio Inputs
Stereo L/R RCA
Efficiency
85%
Chassis Color
Black
Panel color
Black
Case material
Aluminum
Chassis technology
Drawing, coloring oxide, CNC machining
Screen printing process
Laser engraving
Input Interface
RCA sockets (gold plated) stereo input
Power Supply
AC100V-240V DC36V, 5.7A
Dimension
168 × 98 × 36mm (including protruding parts)
Weight
1200g
Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
10% THD? That's insanely high at that power level.

What source do you plan to use to the speakers? Computer? Something else? If you intend to use more traditional sources, then check your local Craigslist for a used stereo receiver or an older surround receiver. It will provide plenty of power to the speakers and will offer multiple source connectivity, and likely a remote to run everything.

I would be looking at something like this if I just needed an amp:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEAKERCRAFT-2-CHANNEL-POWER-AMPLIFIER-MODEL-BB275-/251975987203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aaaf07003

2 ohm stable and .05% THD at the rated power output. This will basically run all day and all night forever without issues.

SpeakerCraft, Sonance, Niles, and others all make decent 2-channel amps which will give you plenty of power for days and have good deals on eBay. It's where I would look, it's where I have looked and bought plenty of times without issue.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The SMSL amps are great, you just have to realize that the rated power is fooey. Realistically, I would count on probably half the rated power for acceptable THD numbers. I used to run a pair of ~85db/2.83v/1m speakers off of an SA-98 and it would play them to very satisfying levels in a medium-large sized room.

P

Pan Pan

Audiophyte
I think i ll stick with the yamaha one guys.
Thanks a lot for the info.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I googled these speakers model number, but came with nothing.
Are you sure that's the correct model number?

P

Pan Pan

Audiophyte
Hello again. I found this amp for about 80 dollars:
yamaha ax 400
What do u think?
It is used.

Thanks.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If possible, before handing over the cash, plug in speakers and play something through the amp, even radio, just to make sure it's working okay.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis