Speaker Wire Suggestion Required

H

hemant

Audioholic Intern
Hey all,

This seems a pretty common question but i am really really confused about the same as what gauge speaker wire is required for the following setup:

pioneer vsx 329k
taga harmony tav-606 SE
room dimensions - 16'x12'x10' (lxbxh)

Please recommend what i should go for as every dealer is suggesting me different wire to get..

thanks alot in advance..

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I’d go with 12-ga., or at least 14 ga. According to Russell, 16 ga. is fine for most applications, but I just prefer something a bit heavier. Remember that in-wall wiring for surround speakers requires wiring rated for in-wall use.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

H

hemant

Audioholic Intern
thankyou for your suggestions @WaynePflughaupt @lovinthehd ... so, what i am looking for is the perfect and exact specs of wire i should go for..
as recommended by local dealer.. he said to get 16 awg for front speakers.. and 18 awg for bth rear ones for 6 ohms speakers..
now again this is confusing as @WaynePflughaupt recommended 12 awg :D
Can you please suggest me the perfect AWG i should go for-
16 awg for every speakers..
or
16 awg for front and 18 for rear..
or
12/14 for every speakers..
or any other n best combination of wire specs..
please feel free to suggest the best ones.. :)
Thankyou

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's about what's sufficient, not perfect. It's overkill to use the larger 12g, and many of us do just that. I buy it in 250 ft spools. No need to buy more than one gauge, it will just cost you more. Hard to say what you need without the lengths of wire you plan to use.....did you use the wire table in the link I provided?

H

hemant

Audioholic Intern
@lovinthehd thats true.. :)
and yeah i saw the table... and as per that.. i think i should go fir 16 awg for all the speakers..
as for front speaker i require cable of not more than 6 ft
and for rear.. 32ft max..
so, please guide for these requirements.. :)

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

i think i should go fir 16 awg for all the speakers..
Okay then, 16 awg for all speakers. What other “guide for requirements” do you need? If your dealer recommended 16 awg I sure he sells it, too. So go down there and get it. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
so, please guide for these requirements.. :)
You're all set with 16 or 14ga wire. Another thing to consider are positive/negative markings on the wire.

The semi clear speaker wire I'm using only has very faint white words on one wire and nothing on the other wire and is difficult to see. Worse it doesn't indicate + or - or color code it so I have to remember each side. Those will go in the trash when I have time to rewire.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're all set with 16 or 14ga wire. Another thing to consider are positive/negative markings on the wire.

The semi clear speaker wire I'm using only has very faint white words on one wire and nothing on the other wire and is difficult to see. Worse it doesn't indicate + or - or color code it so I have to remember each side. Those will go in the trash when I have time to rewire.
Some have a physical guide as well, a ridged edge on one, smooth on the other....

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
Some have a physical guide as well, a ridged edge on one, smooth on the other....
Thanks that's good to know. I didn't know the ridge was an indicator but I know what you are talking about. I thought it was just molding flash from manufacturing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks that's good to know. I didn't know the ridge was an indicator but I know what you are talking about. I thought it was just molding flash from manufacturing.
Typical of lamp cord that was all one color but sometimes present even for clear or marked wire as well.

H

hemant

Audioholic Intern
oh..thanks alot everyone for your suggestions.. so i would go for 16 awg for every speakers.. :) thanks alot.. happy new year.. :) :)

L

Louise

Audiophyte
Need suggestions for speaker wire for floor-standing speakers, KEF iQ70 (mainly for listening to CD, sometimes as part of the 7.1 home theatre system) for the following gears. I really need transparency of vocals when listening to CDs. Would also appreciate suggestions for a power filter.

Oppo BDP-105
Marantz SR7007
KEF iQ70
Tannoy TFX 5.1

Many thanks!

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
There are countless brands and models of speaker cables that will all sound the same.
You probably don't need a power conditioner.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I will probably get in trouble for saying this but you don't have to buy name-brand wire when generic will do, the electricity does not care.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis