Speaker wire for Powered bookshelf

Z

Zeekus32

Audiophyte
I had a quick question on speaker wire for some bookshelf speakers. I have a set of Aktimate micros which consist of a 1 in tweeter and 4 in midrange and also a set of Aktimate blue speakers which consist of a 1 inch tweeter and a 6.5 in mid woofer. Both of them came with the same size speaker wire which is very thin. They look like the Bose speaker wires maybe 16 or 18 gauge I am guessing. The Aktimate Blues have the 1 in tweeter, 6.5 midrange, built in 60 watt creek amp, wolfson dac internally and the master speaker has speaker wire that runs to the unpowered speaker. My question is do you think a thicker grade wire would make any difference in the sound quality? If so, can you give me a size and also a good brand of wire for this. Any help is appreciated once again.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I had a quick question on speaker wire for some bookshelf speakers. I have a set of Aktimate micros which consist of a 1 in tweeter and 4 in midrange and also a set of Aktimate blue speakers which consist of a 1 inch tweeter and a 6.5 in mid woofer. Both of them came with the same size speaker wire which is very thin. They look like the Bose speaker wires maybe 16 or 18 gauge I am guessing. The Aktimate Blues have the 1 in tweeter, 6.5 midrange, built in 60 watt creek amp, wolfson dac internally and the master speaker has speaker wire that runs to the unpowered speaker. My question is do you think a thicker grade wire would make any difference in the sound quality? If so, can you give me a size and also a good brand of wire for this. Any help is appreciated once again.
The quick answer is no, a thicker wire will not make a difference in sound quality.

Think about it for a brief minute :). If 18 gauge wire (lampcord) is good enough for electric lamps, where it must carry 120 volts at 15 amps to power one or several light bulbs, and the current and voltage required by loudspeakers is significantly less, how could thicker wire make any difference?

If that doesn't convince you, the distance between the speakers is probably short. Try any 12 gauge copper zipcord wire (brand name makes no difference) and see if you can hear a difference. It won't cost you much.

By the way, welcome to Audioholics!

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since those wires are carrying low level signals, they could be susceptible to audible nasties. Shielded wires may help avoid that, and balanced connections (most pro style powered monitors sport these) would be immune to any of those problems. Unless you have existing, audible problems, or an unusually long run of cabling, you probably should not sweat this.

edit: never mind, after more careful reading of the OP I see that the wires are indeed carrying amplified signal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis