Speaker Upgrade: Right Track?

S

sdelgran

Audiophyte
Hi everyone!

I have been doing a lot of reading but I am still very much uncertain of what I should do... Your suggestions would be appreciated.

My current equipment consists of:
Arcam AVR 350
JM Lab (Focal) Chorus 715 (http://goo.gl/eNG9dG)
JM Lab (Focal) Chorus CC 700 (center channel in link above)

Source: flac files pushed to Arcam by PC using 96/24 PCM over Toslink.

My room is about 15 ft x 15 ft.

I mostly listen to music (jazz, pop, vocal but no dance or rap). I use the center channel for TV and movies.

I am actually quite happy with my current setup. So much so that I believe it could sound even better...

The one thing I wish I could improve was the slight harshness of the trebles. I am thinking that my Focal speakers are of an older series and that since then, even the very same manufacturer has progressed on the tweeters of these entry-level speakers.

Since I overall very much like the sound of Focal, I am considering the current sale on the Focal Profile 918 ($2000). It seems to me like it would be a nice upgrade which could not only upgrade my tweeters but the whole spectrum. Of course, I would have preferred to listen to it first but it is a discontinued model.

Should I go about it differently? Reconsider the amp? Bi-amp my current speakers? Adapt a better tweeter in them? Consider another speaker entirely (knowing that I am at the very upper limit of my budget with the quoted upgrade)? Wait and build a bigger budget for a real upgrade?

Thank you!

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Biamping is not going to change anything. Changing the tweeter out means a complete redesign of the speaker's crossover, so no that isn't an equitable idea unless you really want to learn/do that. I also probably wouldn't spend $2K on speakers I hadn't heard that were discontinued. Go listen to some speakers that you do have available and get an idea of what you actually like, since these are not it. Go listen to the current Focals for sure.

S

sdelgran

Audiophyte
Thank you j_garcia. You cleared already some of the fog!

The bi-amping idea was in order to have possibly more control over the tweeter without inferring huge costs. Maybe I could have slightly tuned it down I thought... But that probably is stupid.

I must say that it makes perfect sense to me to not throw money on speakers I have not heard. Maybe it is confidence in the manufacturer... I feel 'picky' complaining about my tweeters but as I said it seems that after a while, getting used to a base quality of sound, you start to pick up on details and want more finesse.

Thanks again for the advice especially on not trying to modify the speakers!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Go with the Focal V series on up - I would skip the Prestige series,
they have a boosted lower treble - the V series do measure better
and the V series tweeters are nice.
The Prestige also has a somewhat nasty dip in the midrange, that
can high-light the lower boosted treble

Also, check the 836V - I would take them over the Prestige series.
FOCAL CHORUS 836V TOWER SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

Now, if you want to save some money -
Focal 814V
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCAL814V/FOCAL-Chorus-814V-Dual-6-Floorstanding-Speakers-BLACK-pair/1.html

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Have you tried dialing back the treble on the receiver? I know Arcam already has a pretty warm sound, so if the speakers have too much treble with it, then new speakers are likely in order. I've heard Paradigm Studios and Signatures with Arcam gear and found that the Studios still sounded a bit harsh with them too, but the Signatures sounded great. Speakers make the single largest difference in your system sound, so you have to get that to your liking first. If there's no rush, take the time to audition.

S

sdelgran

Audiophyte
Sorry for the delay in replying!

Have you tried dialing back the treble on the receiver?
Yes, but I don't like how it then sounds and I still hear the treble that is fatiguing me. Does that make sense?

If there's no rush, take the time to audition.
I will try this week-end.

Now, if you want to save some money - Focal 814V
I have been seriously considering those! Similar to 716v.

I read on a British forum that the corresponding speakers in the 800 series (Focal 816V) although pretty similar actually have a less fatiguing sound. They are a bit more expensive but if that is true, I would prefer.

For a 15 x 15 room - find a way to audition the Focal Aria bookshelf speaker
I would love to hear the new Aria series. They look beautiful. Did you recommend the bookshelf over the floor-standing speakers because of my budget or because you actually feel they sound better?

Thank you all for your time and advice!

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would love to hear the new Aria series. They look beautiful. Did you recommend the bookshelf over the floor-standing speakers because of my budget or because you actually feel they sound better?
Maybe for both reasons - the Aria looks well built and sharp, and the word on that line is good.

Worth an audition if you can do it.

S

sdelgran

Audiophyte
I have just been able to listen to 2 speakers : Focal Aria 926 and Goldenear Triton Two. Same room, same CD but different amp and gears.

The Focal sound really good... I am not good at describing what I felt but let's say they sound "clear" but not annoying. Very detailed. Huge involving scene as well. They sound sharp but not annoying even at volume higher than what I am used to.

In comparison, the GoldenEar were sounding muddy. As if they were behind a curtain. The bass were a lot more present than with the Focal but it actually did not feel "right" to me. As if it was not there in the music really. Don't get me wrong, if I were offered the GoldenEar I would take them gladly and not look back but if I have to decide given a similar budget I just felt that the Aria was giving me a lot more music... Before the end of the first track I was actually into the song and no longer listening to the speakers themselves. I did not get that feeling with the Triton.

Anyhow, take all of that with a hill of salt. I am new to this type of things and on a quest to find what I like not what is actually the best. ;-)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Now you know that your ears are open - good report/mini review - Focal can
and does, make some nice stuff.

S

sdelgran

Audiophyte
Thanks. For sure I am listening to one more speaker before I commit for what should be years. It is the Aperion Verus Grand. I'll give my newbie review for what it is worth.

I have a short list of speakers I would like to audition but I am not sure how many would be practically possible.

In the meantime I found a Focal dealer who is giving me a very fair deal on the Aria and also a fair trade-in for my current speakers. This gives me a better idea of my real budget.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Hi everyone!
The one thing I wish I could improve was the slight harshness of the trebles. I am thinking that my Focal speakers are of an older series and that since then, even the very same manufacturer has progressed on the tweeters of these entry-level speakers.
Thank you!
Hi sdelgran, welcome to the forum.

Do you have wood or tiled floors? Anything on the walls? You could be getting some room reflections that make the treble seem harsh. You could try an area rug or carpet. Curtains, drapes, wall hangings, even furniture will help soften the harshness.

S

sdelgran

Audiophyte
Hi sdelgran, welcome to the forum.

Do you have wood or tiled floors? Anything on the walls? You could be getting some room reflections that make the treble seem harsh. You could try an area rug or carpet. Curtains, drapes, wall hangings, even furniture will help soften the harshness.
Thank you for the welcome and the tip.

Actually, I found a pretty nice echo in the room altogether! I have carpet but nothing on the wall right behind the speakers. I hear the echo when I speak from the sofa in front of the wall. I need to work on that I suppose. Suggestions?

One thing that seems to improve the treble is leaving the speaker grills on. I always took them off until now...

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
One thing that seems to improve the treble is leaving the speaker grills on. I always took them off until now...
As a Focal owner [1027Be] I can appreciate your conundrum. While I fell in love with the high detail that the Focal tweeters put out, ear fatigue would kick in after an extended listening period ... 3 to 4 hours ... especially with certain types of music. What finally resolved the problem for me was adding a sub, specifically a SVS PB12-NSD. For some reason the sub seemed to equalize the overall sound and took some of the harshness out of the high end, without sacrificing clarity.

I would also look into buying some acoustic panels, to help with the echo. There are various models and brands that you can research on the internet. Here's a quick link to get you started but obviously you know your sound room better than any of us and of course, how much are you willing to spend to resolve it.
ATS Acoustic Panels

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis