Speaker Stand Shopping Guide

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Weight rating, construction materials, top plate construction, base and feat, height, and cable management capabilities should all be considered when shopping for speaker stands. Ignoring these aspects may affect more than just aesthetics, it could result in compromised performance or worse a busted speaker and other equipment if a speaker tumbles off the stand.

Read on to learn why the six topics listed above should be considered when buying speaker stands.

Read: Speaker Stand Shopping Guide

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Nice write up, thanks Cliff.

I've bought (and sold) speaker stands twice over the years and both times have found it difficult to find short (~24") stands that I found pleasing to the eye. My speakers are now sitting on top of rubber feet on a piece of furniture, quite low to the ground but the couch is really low to it works out to ear level.

The last set of stands I bought were B&W STAV24 which worked out great for me: super simple design, heavy steel construction and they can be filled even though I never found the need for it.

One thing that's always bothered me with bookshelf speakers on stands is that it always seems like they're way too easy to tip over. I have not tried rubber feet which might alleviate most of the problem but I have found stick tack to be a miracle worker: put a little tiny ball of sticky tack near each corner of the top plate, position the speakers and press lightly, the weight of the speakers will do the rest and they will be very firmly attached to the stand. Sticky tack also does not leave marks on the speakers (or at least it hasn't yet).

Cheers!
Alex.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis