Speaker sound deadening material.

U

ursathedawg

Audiophyte
Hello all.
I am a longtime audiophile with an almost un natural attachment to all things speaker. I'm constantly rebuilding old cabinets and swapping out drivers. I acquired a pair of mid range larger bookshelf speakers i figured were worth rebuilding. I had a roll of water and ice roofing membrane kicking around and for fun lined 2 sides of the inside of the cabinets.
Although I don't have any measuring instruments other than the ones on the side of my head noticed a significant improvement in the sound. I'm thinking the improved resonance, and damping of the standing waves helped.
Just curious what other hobbyists experience has been with different sound deadening materials, and or different types of internal insulation.
C

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably better suited for the diy subforum; this loudspeaker forum is more about complete store-bought solutions (many wouldn't even look inside such speakers). You might like this article, altho more specifically for subs.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
That's the best stuff I've found. It completely smoothed out the response of the BMR radiator in the region where it enters its first transition mode from pistonic to flexing motion. Amazing stuff, and cheap. You can also get it from Meniscus Audio under the "Eco-Core" brand.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis