Speaker shelf advice

S

Shieze

Audiophyte
I have Infinity Primus 140 for my surround and I need some shelves for these and I also have a Infinity Primus C25 for my center and I need a shelf for these as well.

Any recommendation for where I should do some shopping? I am in Ontario. I was thinking Ikea most likely and possibly Home Depot. Aslong as I get some sturdy shelves and mount them into studs the weight of the speakers shouldn't be to much I think.

Please provide some opinions as I need them :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Most shelfs are desgined to hold a bit of weight (Books etc) so any decent wooden design should be able to hold the speakers. Make sure you screw it into studs, not ankoring it with drywall screws.

SheepStar

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Don't know what stores you have around you, but a lot depends on the weight of your shelves and whether or not you want floating shelves or shelves with brackets. A lot of the floating shelves are built for decorations/pictures/etc, not books. A couple of options for you, though...Pottery Barn has some floating shelves. Their 2' shelf hold like 35lbs, their 3' shelf holds like 55 and their 4' shelf holds like 75lbs. (weights were told to me by a sales rep at the store)

Also, Ikea has a shelf that has two wrap-around brackets that hold a custom-length shelf between them...might be a good idea for you. (I think THIS is it)

S

Shieze

Audiophyte
Yah I didn't see too much at Ikea of interest, maybe I am too picky. I will see what I can find at home depot, I also will need proper measurements for my speakers as my center speaker is pretty big.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Considering where you live you should go check out the axioms. axiomaudio.com

They are internet only, but it might be close enough for you to go visit them.

M

Mitch G

Audiophyte
Must you use shelves?
The reason I ask is because when I first got a HT system I was looking around for shelves when my wife (of all people) said, "Don't they have brackets or something for speakers?"
I was so focused on using shelves that I had forgotten there are other ways to mount speakers on the wall.

So, just in case you got shelf-myopic like me, I thought I would mention the idea of using speaker mounts. I ended up using these for my Atoms: http://www.avmountsonline.com/proddetail.php?prod=BT-77

Mitch

S

Shieze

Audiophyte
I have no problem with using brackets I guess I just need to find the right ones. Do they have decent brackets for the center speaker so that I can mount it over the TV? Ok I do see some stuff for center channel on avmountsonline. That Canadian site would probably be a 4 hour+ drive for me:p

Last edited:
vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
I was at a stereo store the other day and asked about mounting speakers on the wall and they showed me some speakers that can with hooks on them. Reminded me of those "hooks" that would hold a CB microphone.. just a piece of metal with a slot in it that the mate with two "studs" attached to the wall. The part on the wall looked like that round disk on the back on the mic and on the wall were just the two female "hooks" that the round part slid in to hold them on the way..

Seems the idea of mounting all that extra stuff on the wall is unnecessary unless the speaker needs to aim some other direction than perpendicular to the wall. In my case the speakers can be mounted flush on the wall aimed straight at the couch.

The other high tech (expensive) brackets are fine if you need to turn the speakers. Some of those brackets cost more than the speakers, like the BIC DV62si models I just bought.

S

Shieze

Audiophyte
Well for proper placement they should be facing my sofa almost parallel with the wall so I can't use the mounting on the back of the speakers. I have basically narrowed it down now to probably getting B-tech mounting the grip ones for the surround which will allow me to aim the speakers as I need.

I am also trying to find the B-tech center channel mount somewhere at a B&M around the GTA in Ontario.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Your speakers have keyhole as well as threaded mounts, so you should be to mount them in a number of configurations.

Finding the right mount is the hard part.

SheepStar

vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
He is luck to have those options. The speakers I coming for my new surrounds don't have any way to attach them and might simply put them on the bookcase shelves as the bookcases are there, I just need to reposition them to give me a better angle.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis