speaker series resistance question

J

jimmydj

Audiophyte
I have a 7.1 reciever I'm going to use for audio only, I have 4 8ohm speakers if I.were to book all 4up in a series that effectively quadruple the ohms ,and if i chose only to hook up two it would double the ohms, so would this wiring allow the receiver to run cooler and more efficently vs running parallel , and what effect would this series wiring have on my receiver and would the sound be affected

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
Or your avr should have an a and b output that can be run at the same time?

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
Also as far as hooking up four 8 ohm speakers in series that would have the avr seeing a 32 ohm load so I would think the output of the avr would be etremley low. If you really wanted to hook all four speakers to one load you could do a more complex series/parallel setup, put two sets in series with each other then parallel the two sets you should end up with an 8 ohm load. I would still say hook each to your a and b outputs and run them that way.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Impedance varies all over the place throughout the audio range. Connecting them in series can seriously affect the sound. The more speakers in series, the more cumulitive the effect.

Since many newewr receivers lack the well-beloved A/B speaker switching, you souold consider (assuming all 8 ohm speakers) two pairs of speakers with two speakers connected in series in each pair. Those two series pairs should then be connected in parallel and you should wind ups with an 8 ohm load, if you connected them correctly.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
If all the speakers are the same model number and manufactured in the same lot, then wiring them in series will not affect the sound quality or frequency response. While it's true that speaker 'Impedance varies all over the place throughout the audio range', at any given frequency all the speakers will have the same impedance and will divide the signal evenly. But with 4 speakers in series, the amplifier's output power will be limited.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Or your avr should have an a and b output that can be run at the same time?
A & B is a switch in the speaker circuit of an amp. When you run A & B the speakers are in parallel. This gets receivers into trouble and A & B speakers should generally not be run at the same time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis