Speaker recommendations

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Double check but Best Buy had the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set on sale for less than $100 recently. I believe you had to buy it online though.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If Best Buy still lets you return these without a restocking fee, I'd suggest trying them out. Looks can be deceiving on PC speaker systems (well, with all speakers).

You might also want to check out the Logitech X-540 5.1 system at Circuit City. It's on sale for $80, and it got good reviews. (I just did a quick search of BB and CC...they have many more.)

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
One word.

HEADPHONES

;)

In that pricerange I like Grado SR-80 and Sennheiser HD280. There are many others though.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding headphones for gaming, I have the older version of these and really like them:

http://www.medusa-usa.com/medusa-51-home-edition-p-876.html

The price has gone up since I bought mine, but they are also more capable (can plug a PC and another source, like a DVD player, into them). At $145, they are more than what you mentioned on an upper end, though.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I don't really game anymore, but when I did I will say that headphones are IMO the best way to go. I'd avoid the "surround" headphones, and without having a chance to try that Medusa or anything like it I'd pass on those using the processors as well without knowing more about it before deciding if its worth it.

Headphones really do a good job at putting you in the center of the game and the surround audio processing in the computer and in most games are enough to give a good sense of the environment and "3d" sound.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Headphones really do a good job at putting you in the center of the game and the surround audio processing in the computer and in most games are enough to give a good sense of the environment and "3d" sound.
I'll second that. My Creative card does quite nice surround simulation. In my ~$70 Grado SR60 headphones, I'm utterly immersed in games, and the Grados sound far, far better than any <$100 speakers.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I found 5.1 HT @ walmart. But then I saw the nightmares of it. It's not even real 5.1, no association to Dolby, no DTS, etc. Uses a headphone jack/analog wire.

How about something on the cheap-end? $20-30? I don't need something good good.
They need to replace these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harmon-Kardon-powered-Speakers_W0QQitemZ260124990612QQihZ016QQcategoryZ44984QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Those were perfectly fine (came with PC) until they died.
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/koss/koss-ksc-75.php

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/sennheiser/sennheiser-px-100.php

R

RESmonkey

Enthusiast
No headphones, thanks :) I'm not going to be the only one playing/watching.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Here's my final suggestion:

Spend $60-70 on some decent headphones like some Sennheisers or Grados and then just buy any old logitech, Klipsch, Creative or Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker set for your computer when you don't feel like wearing headphones. Don't worry too much about the speakers because all the 2.1 sets in the $20-40 range aren't that great. You can use the headphones when you want good sound.

Some headphones to look for:

1. Sennheiser PX-100 ~$50 or less
  2. Sennheiser HD models like the HD-465, HD-435, HD-205 etc. I don't know how good they are but I'm sure they're ok. You can find a bunch ranging from $40-70 I think.
  3. Grado SR-60 (~$60ish I think)
  4. Grado SR80 (~$70-80ish I think)

That's it for my knowledge of inexpensive over the ear headphones. The PX-100s are pretty good for the money, but I think the Grado SR-60 or SR-80 are worth it if you've got a little extra money. I'm sure there are other options to consider like Sony or whatever but I don't have as much experience with them.

In any case find a decent pair of headphones for your gaming or when you really want to get in to the music and just get some inexpensive speakers for their "utility."

My $0.02.

edit: well you coulda specified no headphones earlier. In any case, all the $30ish 2.1 sets are about the same and none of them are very good. Just get whichever looks coolest :)

R

RESmonkey

Enthusiast
Thanks all very much :)

Dad just brought home "Creative Inspire T3000" unexpectedly. I'll google these around...hehe...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, congratulations! I have the 5.1 version of those. I think that the speakers sound great. I was quite impressed by them. I'm personally not a fan of that sub, but a lot of that depends on the size of your room and what you're looking for.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis