Speaker recommendation for Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 - Klipsch vs Polk

C

ChandM

Audiophyte
Hello,

Appreciate some help with speaker choices for the "Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020" receiver that I just bought. Was leaning towards either Klipsch or Polk. My usage is predominantly to watch Movies. I've the following in mind. Appreciate any insight.

Klipsch RF-62 (x2), RC-52 or RC-62 (x1), RS-52 (x4) and SW112 (x1)

OR

Polk RTIA5 (x2), CSIA4 (x1), FXIA6 (x2) and DSWPRO660 (x1)

Thanks much
Chand M.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Welcome to the forum Ch. What's your max budget? Going full 7.1? What are your room dimensions? Which speakers can you demo before you buy? All helpful information when choosing.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Hi Chand and welcome to the forum!
Klipsch and Polk are major brands and both make ok to good speakers.
Been there and done that with both and I've moved on to better stuff for the money.
Make sure you can audition both at home (no hassle return) to ensure that you're happy with them.
Subwoofers are a different story..
1st there is no reason to buy a brand matched subwoofer from either of these companies.
For the money you're looking at , you can buy a FAR superior sub from companies like SVS, HSU, Rythmik, PowerSound Audio, and a few others.
More folks will likely chime in with their recommendations and I suggest you listen to what they have to say. Lots of free good advice and the opinions here that are worth considering.
Enjoy the journey!!
Cheers, Mac

C

ChandM

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum Ch. What's your max budget? Going full 7.1? What are your room dimensions? Which speakers can you demo before you buy? All helpful information when choosing.
Thx JohnnieB. Room dimensions are 11x24. Yes, going full 7.1. My speaker budget is abt 4k. I do have a friend who has similar Klipsch speaker set I can probably check it out. Otherwise have to go around to see if any local stores / dealerships would allow me to demo. Guess that's the hard part.....

Last edited:
C

ChandM

Audiophyte
Hi Chand and welcome to the forum!
1st there is no reason to buy a brand matched subwoofer from either of these companies.
For the money you're looking at , you can buy a FAR superior sub from companies like SVS, HSU, Rythmik, PowerSound Audio, and a few others.
More folks will likely chime in with their recommendations and I suggest you listen to what they have to say. Lots of free good advice and the opinions here that are worth considering.
Enjoy the journey!!
Cheers, Mac
Thx Mac. Any specific suggestions on the subwoofer from the listed brands above, perhaps within 500-600 range?

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
SVS pb1000- 500.00, HSU VTF2 mk4 596.00, Rythmik Lv12R 600.00, PSA XV15 799.00
My pick would be the HSU.
your room is kinda deep though.. How far will you be sitting from the front speakers?
also, how tall is the ceiling?

C

ChandM

Audiophyte
SVS pb1000- 500.00, HSU VTF2 mk4 596.00, Rythmik Lv12R 600.00, PSA XV15 799.00
My pick would be the HSU.
your room is kinda deep though.. How far will you be sitting from the front speakers?
also, how tall is the ceiling?
Plan to have first row of seating abt 13feet from the screen. Our ceiling is 9 feet tall...Is this to determine right location for the sub?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
For your room size I'd forgo the 7.1 in favor of 5.1 and use the money to up your sub budget. It would give you a far better movie experience. You can wire for 7.1 and add the rears later. Trying to pressurize your room with 600 budget will be tough. If going with 7.1 look at the outlaw lfm1/ex.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Thats 2376 ft./3. A lot of good articles on room size, spl in the blue bar at top of page. "home theater setup" A good read through there will answer a lot of questions, even ones you didn't know you had. Speaker demo isn't the hard part, it's the fun part. Actually pulling the trigger once you think you've decided is the hard part. Then there's the anticipation of hearing it all together. So is the 4k budget including the subs?

C

ChandM

Audiophyte
For your room size I'd forgo the 7.1 in favor of 5.1 and use the money to up your sub budget. It would give you a far better movie experience. You can wire for 7.1 and add the rears later. Trying to pressurize your room with 600 budget will be tough. If going with 7.1 look at the outlaw lfm1/ex.
So, are there any better options if I were to up my budget to say 1k or so? Thx

C

ChandM

Audiophyte
Thats 2376 ft./3. A lot of good articles on room size, spl in the blue bar at top of page. "home theater setup" A good read through there will answer a lot of questions, even ones you didn't know you had. Speaker demo isn't the hard part, it's the fun part. Actually pulling the trigger once you think you've decided is the hard part. Then there's the anticipation of hearing it all together. So is the 4k budget including the subs?
I wanted to keep it under 5k or so and upgrade individual components later in the future based on my learnings now ;-)

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
So, are there any better options if I were to up my budget to say 1k or so? Thx
At a little over 1k the SVS pb12 plus and the rythmik fv15hp. There is a SVS pc 13 ultra in the b stock for 1499 which is another great option

You can see the rythmik and the SVS pb 13 ultra, which has the same performance as the pc 13 @http://www.data-bass.com/systems

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If my ONLY 2 options are Klipsch or Polk, then I would choose Klipsch.

But there are way too many options out there, especially for $5K.

There are deals to be had. Perhaps you could afford nicer speakers you thought were over your budget. If you need help, send me a PM.

C

ChandM

Audiophyte
At a little over 1k the SVS pb12 plus and the rythmik fv15hp. There is a SVS pc 13 ultra in the b stock for 1499 which is another great option

You can see the rythmik and the SVS pb 13 ultra, which has the same performance as the pc 13 @http://www.data-bass.com/systems
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but are these lil' overboard for the receiver I have already purchased?

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Hello,

Appreciate some help with speaker choices for the "Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020" receiver that I just bought. Was leaning towards either Klipsch or Polk. My usage is predominantly to watch Movies. I've the following in mind. Appreciate any insight.

Klipsch RF-62 (x2), RC-52 or RC-62 (x1), RS-52 (x4) and SW112 (x1)

OR

Polk RTIA5 (x2), CSIA4 (x1), FXIA6 (x2) and DSWPRO660 (x1)

Thanks much
Chand M.
Klipsch, of course. See my signature. :D

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but are these lil' overboard for the receiver I have already purchased?
Absolutely not. For a home theater subs give you that visceral impact that you want to experience. When the cannon fires you want to feel it kick you in the chest. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis