M

MonoPhono

Audiophyte
Hello,

I purchased,

set of Paradigm Monitor SE 8000F,
Premier 600C Center
set of ATOM bookshelf

and was wondering what is the cheapest but bang for buck receiver out there? I do have a PS5 I want to connect through the system to have to my 4k HDMI 2.1 TV port incase I want to play in 120hz.

My tv setup is a Samsung Q90T

I did see the Denon AVR-X4700 which was on sale but is no longer available which seemed like it would of done the job. Then for price match i see the AVR x2800h but not entirely sure the 2800 would be suitable if it was, what about the 1800 or even another brand entirely?

I do need the banana plugs in the back that's for sure. In the interim I will be feeding my old POLK sub til I gather more funds and get a paradigm sub.

Please and thank you!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Depends on room size and what your future plans are. For an average size room the 2800 will do the job and at 7.2 will leave the option to add two ATMOS or height speakers later. The lower models have less power but when you're driving 5 or 7 speakers simultaneously I think 100W is a good target to leave some headroom. The 4700 has more power than the 2800 and 9.2 so targeted at larger rooms where you could go 7.2.2 or 5.2.4.

Look at the back panel for both AVRs. The 2800 has less inputs so it is geared towards mostly digital sources and maybe a turntable or other analogue device. It lacks any pre-amp outputs so you can not add external amplifiers. The 4700, being an older model, has a good set of digital inputs but also includes more analogue options which can be handy for retro gaming or older video gear. It also has a full set of pre-amp outputs if your power needs increase down the road. If you plan to mostly use the PS5 and stream content and the room is not too large, the 2800 could be enough.

Banana plugs are handy for people that like to try different speakers and need ease of access. They don't really provide any electrical benefit over bare wire or spade terminals. They can look nice though. :) Most modern AVRs have 3-way binding posts that except either.

Paradigm does make a good subwoofer in the X series. Maybe you can find a good deal on an X12 but if you want bang for the buck there are cheaper options. I'm not sure how well the V series stacks up against other offerings. You can see the comparison chart at the bottom of this page for the V12. The X12 has a much beefier amplifier and better low end extension. Never pay retail, though. Paradigm uses a dealer network and any retailer should be able to offer a good discount.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis