Speaker power rating

D

David Faulkner

Enthusiast
My question is about speaker power recommendations. I have had my eye on 4 of the Klipsch R-28F for quite some time now, I am about ready to finally make the purchase (after saving for a year now). The problem I'm just now realizing is that the continuous power recommendation for the speakers are 150W per ch at 8 OHM. My Yamaha RX-V379BL only puts out 75W per ch at 8 OHM. I called Klipsch and they stated I will not get the full potential out of the speakers and recommend I downgrade to the R-26F's or buy a receiver that outputs at least 130w @8 OHM. The problem is that I cannot seem to find a receiver under $1,000 that is capable of this. Needless to say I am very disappointed and I was wondering if you really think the speakers would not perform very well on my current receiver... or could you recommend a work around ect.?

Thanks!

D

David Faulkner

Enthusiast
The speakers are very sensitive at 98db so will that help me at all?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
There's not much sense in worrying about the power ratings of speakers, or trying to match the ratings with the output of your receiver. What matters is whether or not you have enough power to achieve the volume you desire, and a high sensitivity speaker definitely helps in this regard.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
+1.. Just to add to Steve's comments, the bigger the room, the more amplification is required to fill a room to a given SPL. The Klipsch high sensitivity means that it doesn't take much power to make them sing loud. That being said, how big is the room that they will be used in and how loud do you intend to play them? How far away is the seating position from the speaker?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Peak capable SPL = Speaker Efficency at 1 watt + 10 * log (Wattage of speaker or amplifier(whichever is lower)) - 3 * (distance in meters from speaker to listening position + 1))

For THX it needs to be 105, but 90 in the home is normally plenty.

D

David Faulkner

Enthusiast
Its a medium sized room, I will be aprox 11 Feet away from the fronts and about 6 feet away from the rears

B

Blues Doctor

Audioholic Intern
My question is about speaker power recommendations. I have had my eye on 4 of the Klipsch R-28F for quite some time now, I am about ready to finally make the purchase (after saving for a year now). The problem I'm just now realizing is that the continuous power recommendation for the speakers are 150W per ch at 8 OHM. My Yamaha RX-V379BL only puts out 75W per ch at 8 OHM. I called Klipsch and they stated I will not get the full potential out of the speakers and recommend I downgrade to the R-26F's or buy a receiver that outputs at least 130w @8 OHM. The problem is that I cannot seem to find a receiver under $1,000 that is capable of this. Needless to say I am very disappointed and I was wondering if you really think the speakers would not perform very well on my current receiver... or could you recommend a work around ect.?

Thanks!

Thanks!
FYI - Best Buy sold the Klipsch R-28F for half price last Black Friday. You could save $900 if you can wait. I got a pair for only $450 in November for a dedicated two channel stereo rig.

B

Blues Doctor

Audioholic Intern
BTW, I called Klipsch also. I bought a 75w per channel stereo receiver and asked their tech support about powering the R-28Fs. They recommended at least 100wpc, so I upgraded to the Yamaha R-S700. My listening room is 12x20'. The 700 can be used as a pre when and if I want more power. Sounds great as it is, but would love to see if more power would improve SQ.

D

David Faulkner

Enthusiast
BTW, I called Klipsch also. I bought a 75w per channel stereo receiver and asked their tech support about powering the R-28Fs. They recommended at least 100wpc, so I upgraded to the Yamaha R-S700. My listening room is 12x20'. The 700 can be used as a pre when and if I want more power. Sounds great as it is, but would love to see if more power would improve SQ.
I am going to try and haggle with Best Buy since HHgregg has them for $400 each.... im going to try and give them $300 cash each. How do you like the speakers?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
"Full potential" as they put it is a rather erroneous factor. Yeah, sure, more power would mean you could play them a little bit louder for longer than you would with less power. Is it something you'll likely notice through normal use? Nope.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You should ask klipsch what the difference between 100 and 75w translate to. As mentioned, their CS is less than knowledgeable

B

Blues Doctor

Audioholic Intern
I am going to try and haggle with Best Buy since HHgregg has them for $400 each.... im going to try and give them $300 cash each. How do you like the speakers?
I love them, thanks. Again, I am only using them for music in a dedicated two channel stereo rig, not HT. I prefer to have seperate systems. Not using a sub, but considering trying the RSL Speedwoofer 10S and the SVS SB-1000 in home audition to see if I would like the sound better with a sub. For now, I am loving the sound of the R-28Fs w/out a sub for music. (I'm running dual subs in my HT system.)
The R-28Fs image well and sound great to me at low and higher volumes. Front port helps withe placement.

B

Blues Doctor

Audioholic Intern
You should ask klipsch what the difference between 100 and 75w translate to. As mentioned, their CS is less than knowledgeable
That may be true. It was a quick call. I feel better with the extra power anyway. Cost difference was only about $100. Plus, the 700 has the pre out. I am sure the R-S500 would have been adequate w/75wpc and the efficiency of the speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Extra power that won't be used, won't make speakers sound any better. More power will ensure less distortion at peak demands that won't typically last even a second.

I know Bestbuy has been selling/pushing Klipsch for years, but why are they getting so popular recently, all of a sudden. It seems that not a week has gone by that we don't get questions related to Klipsch speakers, very strange!!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Extra power that won't be used, won't make speakers sound any better. More power will ensure less distortion at peak demands that won't typically last even a second.

I know Bestbuy has been selling/pushing Klipsch for years, but why are they getting so popular recently, all of a sudden. It seems that not a week has gone by that we don't get questions related to Klipsch speakers, very strange!!
The power of marketing compels you!!!

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Klipsch side by side with other speakers just sound much much more like a live performance. Even if you level match them before doing an AB. High efficiency is just a plus . Not to mention how dynamic they are for movies.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I think a lack of speciality retailers to compare speakers has a little to do with it and the name is still carrying some weight. I've liked some of their speakers over the years and liked the Palladium when I heard them, but I liken some of it to the B&W effect as when you see someone with their 6xx series and feeling like they own the 8xx series. For critical listening I'd only consider their flagship line, and then IMHO there are much better for less. For home theater I'm sure the work well, but for unamplified live recordings they aren't my cup of tea.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Klipsch side by side with other speakers just sound much much more like a live performance. Even if you level match them before doing an AB. High efficiency is just a plus . Not to mention how dynamic they are for movies.
That's probably because you go to venues that use horns. I don't personally like the sound of most horns. It's definitely a personal preference that needs to be hashed out before purchase.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For home theater I'm sure the work well, but for unamplified live recordings they aren't my cup of tea.
Most movie soundtracks have scores that require the best speakers possible. In my case movie music which is often instrumental is more critical than my typical pop and rock tunes.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
That's probably because you go to venues that use horns. I don't personally like the sound of most horns. It's definitely a personal preference that needs to be hashed out before purchase.
I agree. That's why we listen Theres a speaker for everybody

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis