Speaker Placement Question ?

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Hi Guys,

Can someone please tell me, If I have a Airplay speaker which has a down-firing woofer (Bass Reflex) embedded in it. And I wanna place those speakers on a wooden shelf/stand. will It make any difference in the sound/audio output if I apply Laminate on that Wooden Shelf ? Will Applying Laminate on the wooden shelf have any effect on the sound ? As I cant just keep a raw wood plate because even a raw wood will absorb everything (All sound waves & frequencies) so what is advised ? Can I apply a laminate on the wooden shelf ?

Thanks in Advance !

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wood is not a good sound absorber, so that's not an issue. Adding another hard surface over an already hard surface will have no effect on the sound.

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Wood is not a good sound absorber, so that's not an issue. Adding another hard surface over an already hard surface will have no effect on the sound.
When you say no effect you mean "no negative effect right" ? I am good even if I choose to apply a Laminate on the wood stand for my speakers right ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, no negative effect, but ultimately I'm saying I don't think you'll hear a difference at all.

A

augustya

Junior Audioholic
Earlier I was even contemplating about making a Glass Stand as a Glass looks Aesthetically more pleasing and a lifestyle object, but I was advised otherwise, as Glass being a very heard substance would reflect almost everything. But on the other hand wood not being such a hard substance as Glass would absorb some and reflect some and that is what you want is what I was told, But then I was left with another question, will this theory of half absorbing and half reflecting get hampered if I apply a sheath in the form of Laminate on top of the wooden stand as I also can't just keep a Raw Wooden stand I have to decorate the raw wood with something. So I was told that you cannot even keep a Raw Wooden stand,from a Audio Physics point of view because even a Raw Wood absorb everything which is also what you don't want!! This is all only important because the speakers that I have has a down firing woofer (Bass Reflex) in to it, had it been not the case then it would not have mattered if it was glass or wood, laminate or not.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The speaker was designed to operate this way. Aside from putting it on some type of actual acoustic material, whatever you set it on likely won't be a problem.

G

GIK Acoustics

Audioholic Intern
Wood is not absorptive, it is almost 100% reflective: as is glass, and almost every other rigid material. Putting laminate on top of a wooden shelf won't affect it at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis