Speaker placement help in a small living room

M

misterVL

Audioholic Intern
I need some help with my 5.1 speaker placement for my small living room. (17x11)

My whole system will be 5.1 Paradigm in wall speakers. My dilemma right now is if I should get in-ceiling or in-wall for my surround.

My listening area/couch, will be against the rear wall. And it is highly recommended to have a couple feet of room between the speakers and the listening area. What should I do?

Here is a diagram of my living room.

M

Mkegreg

Enthusiast
I'm no expert, but I do love the mini bar, I say keep it. The drunker you get, the better your system will sound.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Do you have a picture of your setup? Do you use in wall speakers also?

I still can't decide if I should purchase the in wall or in ceiling for my rears. Any suggestions?
I don't they are on stands or hanging on wall.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would wall-mount some speakers - once you cut a hole, you then tend to become limited.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
If you have to go in wall or ceiling, wall is the way to go.
My family room is all ceiling except for the center and sub.
Ok (barely) for daily TV but I head for the basement when sports or movies are on the agenda.
sux for music.
Cheers, Mac

M

misterVL

Audioholic Intern
I would wall-mount some speakers - once you cut a hole, you then tend to become limited.
I understand. Worst comes to worst I can just remove the speakers and get it filled in the future if I decide to upgrade to something else but for now I am set on in wall/in ceiling speakers.

If you have to go in wall or ceiling, wall is the way to go.
My family room is all ceiling except for the center and sub.
Ok (barely) for daily TV but I head for the basement when sports or movies are on the agenda.
sux for music.
Cheers, Mac
What is the difference between in-wall and in-ceiling in terms of performance? Does the in-wall sounds better vs in-ceiling?

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I understand. Worst comes to worst I can just remove the speakers and get it filled in the future if I decide to upgrade to something else but for now I am set on in wall/in ceiling speakers.

What is the difference between in-wall and in-ceiling in terms of performance? Does the in-wall sounds better vs in-ceiling?
Sweet spot is minuscule for ceiling speakers (like a shower heads water dispersion) and can be considerably larger with in walls (especially for music). I have Niles HD8 for front speakers and they sound quite good so long as as I'm in the cone of good sound:D, which is tiny!
Go with a quality sound bar or in walls. In ceiling, for anything other than background is a waste IMO.
Cheers, Mac

M

misterVL

Audioholic Intern
Since I will probably stick to in-wall speakers for my surround. Where should I place them at? To the right and left of the listening area or right above my couch?

Also, I am looking at the AMS-LCR for my center and they are 24 inches long. My studs are 14 inches wide. Does this mean I have to cut into my studs or remove the studs?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis