Speaker Options (Fronts) 5-6k Range

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
While I have been extremely happy with the sound of the GE T1s I purchased, but do to other issues, I have decided to return them and look at other options.

Room Size: 23x20 approximate

- I really like the sound of the ribbon tweeters so if you can recommend manufacturers that offer a similar solution in the treble range
- Does not need to have integrated subs, will be purchased separately
- About 40/60 Music/HT
- Not built overseas is big plus:)

I know there is Definitive Tech, but I would like to consider options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Is this for the left and right only or is the center included in your budget?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
For that kind of money you might be able to get something custom made by Funk Audio. The guy is a master craftsman and can build just about anything.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Is this for the left and right only or is the center included in your budget?
Just for left and Right, I am leaving my budget open for the center. I probably will go phantom mode until I move into my new house.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Cos, if you are purchasing subs, why not go with a pair of 2 way bookshelfs? Something like the sierra 2 is going to sound just as good as anything you find in the 5-6K range, IMO... Its worth a demo...

Ithese are in awesome shape for a used speaker, pretty good price, make him an offer, you can not lose, the PSB Ones are amazing.. psb syncrony one's | Full range | Branford, Connecticut 06405 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community
I am considering that as a possible option, but I have always liked towers, I am definitely going to take more time looking. Since I am near Chicago, there are lots of good locations to check out.

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
While I have been extremely happy with the sound of the GE T1s I purchased, but do to other issues, I have decided to return them and look at other options.

Room Size: 23x20 approximate

- I really like the sound of the ribbon tweeters so if you can recommend manufacturers that offer a similar solution in the treble range
- Does not need to have integrated subs, will be purchased separately
- About 40/60 Music/HT
- Not built overseas is big plus:)

I know there is Definitive Tech, but I would like to consider options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Might I ask what made you return the T1's?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Lots of good suggestions so far. If you like big dynamics with not bad WAF, check out some Seaton Catalyst 8Cs. They are about 3k each. They are self-powered, so you save on buying a separate amplifier. Seaton is in Chicago, btw. I would also look at what can be had from Revel, RBH, Dynaudio, and KEF in that price range along with many other recommends in this thread. You might also look into what you can get from Legacy Audio if you are after Ribbons. If it were me, I would go in the negative WAF territory and get some Mancave Metal Eye-Conic Red 'bookshelf' speakers. As for aesthetics, speakers do not get more badass looking. Sounds good too, as Bill Dudleston from Legacy Audio helped to develop them. Here is a sweet pic:

Now THAT'S a speaker!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am definitely going to take more time looking. Since I am near Chicago, there are lots of good locations to check out.
Check out Saturday Audio - they have Monitor Audio and PSB

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Also check out Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates, they are one of the few places to have Klipsch's full line of Heritage speakers on demo, amazing speakers.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Also check out Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates, they are one of the few places to have Klipsch's full line of Heritage speakers on demo, amazing speakers.
Been to Simply Stereo in Hoffman estates, not a big fan of Klipsch and their store is in need of serious updating, but they do carry some nice items.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Check out Saturday Audio - they have Monitor Audio and PSB
I need to hit Saturday Audio, spoke to the owner when I was at AXPONA, I think they are open on Sunday, would like to hear the Monitor Audio

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
White it is cool, that is a little less WAF than the GE
:)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Cos, if you are purchasing subs, why not go with a pair of 2 way bookshelfs? Something like the sierra 2 is going to sound just as good as anything you find in the 5-6K range, IMO... Its worth a demo...

Ithese are in awesome shape for a used speaker, pretty good price, make him an offer, you can not lose, the PSB Ones are amazing.. psb syncrony one's | Full range | Branford, Connecticut 06405 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community
I can get the PSB Ones for $1800.00 new in box. Not my type of speaker. Craps out when I start to get going for high SBL (great for background music though, perfect for a doctors office (great sounding speaker up to a point). Wouldn't last me a day with out blowing them out.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I can get the PSB Ones for $1800.00 new in box. Not my type of speaker. Craps out when I start to get going for high SBL (great for background music though, perfect for a doctors office (great sounding speaker up to a point). Wouldn't last me a day with out blowing them out.
Where? $1800 is $500 less than I ever seen the bookshelfs for !!!!
I was impressed with this speaker, even for its msrp its not a bad speakers.. My friends pair is amazing, will stand with anything I ever heard, he was powering them with a parasound A21 {they are 4 ohm towers rated at 300w so the a21 is a decent match with 400w at 4ohm}, and I heard them played loud, and they stayed together for us, not sure where you heard them but they aren't a bad tower to my ears...

I will take that nib pair of towers for $1800, I will send one of my employees Monday morning to pick them up, thats an amazing deal, I have been looking for a used set of imagine t2's for under $2000 with no luck...

Heres the thing with "LOUD", first its not healthy for the ear, second I don't care who you are you can not critically listen to music past a certain level, and its not high at all, and finally why spend a ton of money to play a loud, I have a $4000 pro audio setup with a pair of 18" subs, pair of 15" drivers and pair of pro amp, its over 5000 watts and fills my 3 acre lawn with so much sound you cant hear yourself think anything except "this is too loud"!!!!

The room I have my bookshelf 2.2 system set up in has a measly pair of 200w amps with a pair of 400w subs, and at 30% volume it sounds fantastic and crystal clear, you push 70% and its still clear but its too loud, I have listened to treated rooms with really nice systems and when pushed past a certain point they stop sounding good, not the fault of the room or system but my ears....

I always say if you want loud go to cerwin vega, but be sure to tighten up the screws in your trailer home if you ever move... lol

I guess its up to cos, is this system going to be used for more than 110db, lol?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Round 2? :D

I know the reason you returned the GE had nothing to do with the SQ. :D

I sold my entire DT system, which I personally thought sounded better in my room than most speakers, except for the RBH T2.

I don't think the tweeter makes the speaker. I don't think any specific driver material or type makes the speaker sound great. It is the whole speaker design. I wouldn't get caught up in the driver type or material.

So at this point, you'll just have to audition as many speakers as possible. You are lucky to be able to return the GE so easily.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
For your budget and needs, I second the recommendation for the Seaton Catalyst 8C's. Tri-amped high grade drivers on 1000W, active DSP response shaping, compact sealed cabinets... I think you'd be blown away if you paid Mark Seaton a visit for a demo session. (T.H.E. Show Newport Beach 2014 - Seaton Sound Discussion Forum)

Next on my list, if powered speakers are a bridge too far, would be JTR Speakers outside Milwaukee (Oconomowoc). The Noesis 212HT or 212HT-LP (sealed) at $2400 each would suit your budget, but you'd get about 90 - 95% of the performance with the Noesis 228HT ($1300 each) and be able to put the balance towards high performance subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis