Speaker leveling with spl meter

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I recently purchased spl meter as it was on discount and I have done some calibration with it and I already have got some improvements. How ever I was wondering how should I set my speakers..

Should I set all speakers flat on reference level or should I adjust levels like center +1 db and rears -1 db? What do you think is best setup and why?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting, I just find it a useful tool to quickly measure my listening levels!

Front 3 speakers should hit the same SPL at all seats.

Rear speakers should be level matched to their opposite wall partner - more difficult seat to seat. Difference between front and rear is largely program specific, but you'll be able to tell quickly what is just 'too much' sound. The goal of surround speakers is to be immersive, not distracting.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Interesting, I just find it a useful tool to quickly measure my listening levels!

Front 3 speakers should hit the same SPL at all seats.

Rear speakers should be level matched to their opposite wall partner - more difficult seat to seat. Difference between front and rear is largely program specific, but you'll be able to tell quickly what is just 'too much' sound. The goal of surround speakers is to be immersive, not distracting.
That is so true. That is what I found also.

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
I find level matching works best when you level match the speakers with the pink noise volume set to where you normally listen to movies/music and in the position that you normally listen to it. In my case with my Rotel, I normally listen to stuff with the volume at 65 so that's where I put the volume as the pink noise is generating to set my speaker levels.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
If you are level matching the channel volume, two source for the signal, built in test tone or a DVD. The benefit of a DVD is that the signal goes through the chain from the BD player to the speakers.
Internal test tone usually is at the proper level of -30dB spl FS. Most DVDs are the same or not.
With the internal test tone, the master volume either automatically goes to 0( ref level) nor it may need to be set there manually. Then, the speakers are trimmed to 75 dB on all at the center listening seat.
The 0 volume presupposes that there are positive numbers after the 0 position.
Mine goes automatically to 0.

G

Gadgetfreek29

Enthusiast
I level matched all of my speakers to 75db on my spl with the receiver set to 75db. I barely notice my surround speakers until the volume is above 60db and watch most movies in the 65-70db range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Should I set all speakers flat on reference level or should I adjust levels like center +1 db and rears -1 db? What do you think is best setup and why?
I think the others who answered have already said this, but it can't hurt to repeat it.

At first, use the SPL meter and pink noise to adjust all speakers to the same level. Pick one central seat to use while making the adjustments. It's a good idea to write down those settings.

There's no particular loudness level required for making these adjustments. I find 75 dB useful because it's loud enough that any noise from my heat/AC ventilation system or refrigerator doesn't interfere, but not so objectionably loud as pink noise sounds at 80 dB or higher.

Listen to music and watch movies with those initial settings for a while – long enough to get a sense of how things sound with a variety of movies and music. Sometimes, there are a few movies where the dialog is not loud enough, but you are looking for the general state of things, not the exception.

If you think you need it, raise or lower the center speaker. Same goes for the rear channel speakers, except you are asking yourself if the front-to-back sound is balanced or not.

There's nothing wrong with adjusting those initial settings.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I level matched all of my speakers to 75db on my spl with the receiver set to 75db. I barely notice my surround speakers until the volume is above 60db and watch most movies in the 65-70db range. ...
Not sure I understand what you are implying when you say the receiver is set to 75 db.

When the test tone is used and the surround is activated, is that sound about the same level as the mains to you? What are you playing when you are saying you set the receiver to 75 dB? Is that after the calibration?
If so, perhaps the material doesn't have enough surround presentation for you to notice? Not everything has surround presentation at equivalent levels as the front speakers.

G

Gadgetfreek29

Enthusiast
When I play the test tone I raise the volume to 75 and change channel level setting +/- in settings until the spl reads 75 also. All channels set the same way.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
When I play the test tone I raise the volume to 75 and change channel level setting +/- in settings until the spl reads 75 also. All channels set the same way.

What are you using for an spl meter?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

When I play the test tone I raise the volume to 75 and change channel level setting +/- in settings until the spl reads 75 also. All channels set the same way. ...
Some receivers run the master volume to 0 relative scale, reference setting automatically.
Others are not affected by the master volume movement when you start the test tone sequence.
Then you trim each channel to get 75 dB spl.

Does your receiver varies sound level with master volume changes when the test tone sequence is started?
And what scale do you have it set, absolute or relative( latter showing -1 to -80 or more) as 75 does not make sense.

G

Gadgetfreek29

Enthusiast
It is on absolute. Did I screw up using this setting?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

It is on absolute. Did I screw up using this setting?
Best if you use the relative scale that shows minus numbers below 0.
Do that, see where the master volume is before you start the testing and as you start it.
If the volume control moves on its own(this may only happen with THX rated?) let it. If not see if changing the master volume has an effect on the spl on the spl meter, shouldn't. Then you just trim to 75 dB on all channels but the sub can be trimmed to taste.

G

Gadgetfreek29

Enthusiast
Ok so tonight I changed volume to relative and recalibrated everything from 0 on AVR to 75db on meter and 80db for surround and front height speakers. I put on a few transformers scenes that always sound the loudest to me (I usually lower volume when these scenes come on). At 0 volume, using the spl I was getting 80-87db and found myself preferring volume at -10. Most importantly, I noticed a huge reduction in pink noise that I didn’t notice was even there until now.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
It makes most practical sense to calibrate each channel at 1 meter from spl meter one channel at a time. If you set the level of each channel to 75 db then measure from your main seat you will have the actual db loss per channel. My main seat is 8.5 feet from the speaker cones to my ear height seated. I lose 3 db for 1 channel. 75 db 1 meter (3.28 feet) is 72 db at main seat ear level. That means my peak is approximately 92 db at my ears in the main seat and 95 db at 1 meter from the speaker. My speakers 1 watt sensitivity is 91 db one channel driven.
That means a lot since now I know I’m using basically 2 watts for 92 db peak at ear height 8.5 feet from one speaker. I had to set my processor reference pink noise 5 db less otherwise I was at 80 db 1 meter no peak 76.5 at main seat. Since my speaker sensitivity correlates to how much current my main 5 channel amp must deliver it is critical to understand speaker sensitivity 1 watt spec and how the relates to my peak spl at my main seat. When you approach your level calibration from this perspective it gives you peace of mind how much amp power is being produced to drive each speaker. Remember I did not include the increase in spl from each speaker or its position in how you load it relative to your rooms boundaries.

My setup:
Room L20xW12xH7=1680cft
Projector: Epson powerlite home cinema 500
Screen: Grandview 100” manual
Speakers:
Mains: Paradigm studio 100v3 (2004)
Centre: Paradigm studio cc570 v3 (04)
Surrounds: Paradigm studio 40v2 (04)
Sub: Paradigm sub 15 v5 (2018)
Processor: Anthem AVM20 v2 (04)
Main Amp: Anthem MCA50 (04)
BluRay: Sony UBP x-700 (2018)
Universal DVD: Pioneer Elite 59-avi (04)
Pw conditioner: Ultralink HDC-150 (18)
Iconnects : Ultralink platinum Mk2 (04)
Speaker Wire: 12 gauge Ultralink (04)
Power cables 4 monster powerline300
TV/PVR: Bell Fibe
HDMI Hub: rocketfish 4in/1out
Dedicated outlets 4. 120x2 & 240x2
(240 was in case I ever wanted higher power sub that would use 240v.
Room has 10x120 dual plugs and 2 dedicated 240 plugs(not currently in use)
Lighting: 3 zone dimmer pot lights & 1 LED remote light for rack.
Future upgrade dimmer light switches replaced with either wifi controllable or remote.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis