PHYSTRAINER

PHYSTRAINER

Audioholic Intern
Can my rears be set back at least 7 feet behind my listening point? The fronts are 8 feet apart, same as the rears and around 9-10 feet away from listening position all slightly toed in.
Is this optimal "golden triangle" rule appliable to rears also? Fronts are large towers and rears are slightly smaller towers. Just trying to get the most out of my room sound wise.Any advice welcome.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Rears or sides? Which are you referring to? You did not mention the sides. A simple drawing may help with others' advice. Cheers.

PHYSTRAINER

PHYSTRAINER

Audioholic Intern
Am running 5.1 and it is the rears, and with my skills on a computer you dont wanna see my pictures!:D But here goes.
pink are fronts
yellow is rears
grey is the tv and center
black is sofa

Last edited:
J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Rear hemisphere sound patterns are not like front pattern. Thus, we have the widely adhered to, and respected dolby speaker placement manifesto. Since you are interested, why don't you try it that way with some test sounds (or actual movies). I think you'll be disappointed as compared to where they are suppose to be placed, at 90'-110' off axis. Let us know.

PHYSTRAINER

PHYSTRAINER

Audioholic Intern
Surely then the effect would sound better when close,r but won't the receiver boost the trims to compensate for the distance of the rears.I have set them up like that earlier and i actually like the effect it seems to give the movie depth of surround if thats the right way of explaining it:rolleyes:
I watched star wars and found it very good and saving private ryan is really good.I dont really wanna move them again to back to back test cos the floor spikes are perfect now and were a ***** to set up on the uneven floor. Also if i have them next to the couch they will be pointing into the couch sides with only the tweeter exposed:eek:

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Phy: if you really want depth, go 7.1. If it sounds good to you that way, you're done. If the problem with placing them on the sides is that "only the tweeter is exposed", then you need to lift them a little so that the woofer is also exposed. Either way, happy listening!

PHYSTRAINER

PHYSTRAINER

Audioholic Intern
Yeah i guess i have them set up the best i can for now, i have matching speakers for 7.1 but love the sound now. And raising them up would mean they would be about a meter higher than now making the highly unstable. And the sofa is around 1.1 meters high on the sides making them the same height as me nearly and not very partner friendly;) Thanks for the help mate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis