Speaker Impedance Confusion

D

dertitan2

Enthusiast
I have a like new Sherbourn Whole Audio Amp TST2/200

Per the user manual, "the amplifier is designed to operate with up to eight pairs of 8 ohm speakers or up to four pairs of 4 ohm speakers or any combination providing the total impedance does not fall below 1 ohm."

So here is what I am wanting to run:

(6) 8 ohm ceilings speakers (2 in the kitchen, 2 in the master bedroom, and 2 in the office)
(4) 6 ohm outdoor speakers around my deck

so what do i have left, how many more 8 ohm ceiling speakers could i install inside?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You gotta give more info.

Speaker outputs on the amp. whether you want to run serial or parallel.

Pics help

D

dertitan2

Enthusiast
sherbourntst2200.jpg

colorsherbourntst2200.jpeg

it appears that each connection allow two pairs of speakers, i.e. (8) pairs (16 speakers - 8 ohm) or (4) pairs (8 speakers - 4 ohms)

so it appears that for example I could select connection #1 and then connect the (4) outdoor speakers, the in #2 connect the 2 speakers in the master, #3 the two in the office, #4 the 2 in the kitchen...

so at first glance I would still have 8 possible connections, but since the (4) outdoor speakers are 6 ohms, I know that number would be reduced...

Does that make sense?

D

dertitan2

Enthusiast
First, cool tool, thanks for sharing; however, this tool does match what the owner manual states "8 pairs of 8 ohm speakers, so if I input 16 speakers at 8 ohms, the total impedance is 0.5000, unless I am misunderstanding just how many 8 ohm speakers can be connected...the images above seem to show 16 or 8 pairs??

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You have two channels. You figure for one channel.

One speaker of each pair is connected to each channel.

So, eight pairs of speakers would mean eight speakers on each channel, not sixteen speakers.

D

dertitan2

Enthusiast
ok, so when I input the numbers in that niles tool, with my three interior rooms though the total number of speakers is (6), all i enter is (3) speakers at 8 ohms for the one channel, then for the outdoor speakers i simply enter 2 for one channel etc...alright now this makes sense...sorry "new" to some of this stuff, when I read 8 pairs, it seemed to be 16....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis