speaker crossover setting advice

W

weezz

Enthusiast
i have a SVS 20-39pci subwoofer that i purchased years ago (yes i know its old) but it is still in very good condition!!!!
my question is i have and very good home theater setup....
although it kinda outdated but my speaker system is still among the best....
my set up
yamaha HTR-5760 av receiver
yamaha NS-555 towerspeakers 30 Hz - 35 kHz
yamaha NS-C444 center speaker 55 Hz - 35 kHz
i have yamaha NS-3333 bookshelf speakers for surround but do to some complication with space in my room
im now using some sony satellite surround speakers SS-MS367T frequency response 100hz-27khz (they are good!!! thus far for the time being)
although my av receiver has ypao for auto setup and it has calibrated some passable results i feel that im not getting enough from my sub and front speakers with the ypao settings
for example it will automatically set my crossover to 160hz.....and my lfe/bass out: both

should i just change the crossover on my receiver to 80 or 100hz and change my lfe/bass out:subwoofer
should i turn the auto setting off and start from scratch or not???...im looking for a better near theater punch that i know my sub can do!!!!
what settings on the crossover should i have and also what should my volume settings be like???
i know i said too much to answer....but i hope you can help me out
thx!!!!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome! Front 80, Center 80, Surround 60 and Sub 120 LFE

Last edited:
W

weezz

Enthusiast
thx for the reply but i can only set my 1 crossover frequency.... on my av reciever....
i tried 120hz my sub sound seems locatable now....
should i change it to 100hz since my satellites frequency response is that

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you can locate the sub right now, then just go ahead and lower the crossover until you cannot. The only "correct" setting is the one that works best.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. What crossover were you running before you swapped to the Sonys? Were you happy with your sub in that case? If so, I'd say consider using that same crossover again. The surround speakers don't get a whole lot of audio (some, for sure, but not the bulk of it), so the amount of audio that you'd lose picking a lower crossover that they can handle wouldn't cause you to lose much from the surrounds - but you might gain back what you liked before.

W

weezz

Enthusiast
well at 1st i was using sony sa-ve367
when i used the ypao at that time it was setting the crossover freq to 160hz
now since i changed my fronts speakers to yamaha tower speakers and ctr speaker with a SVS 20-39pci
it still sets my crossover to 160hz....
many others told me to just change the av receiver crossover to 80hz.....
but will i create some gap or lose some sound i leave it at 80hz.....???
should i just put it at 100hz since the satellites frequency is 100hz

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
but will i create some gap or lose some sound i leave it at 80hz.....???
should i just put it at 100hz since the satellites frequency is 100hz
You may, and that may be an issue, or the subwoofer being easily localized may be a bigger issue. Grabe a good song with some bass, play it on loop and mess around with the settings a bit. No one here can really tell you what WILL work best, only make guesses. Trust your ears.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Just set to 80hz. I cant imagine setting 160hz, the sub would playing way high. Dont worry about the rears, if you cross them at 80, you would still help them as these are no longer fed with frequencies below ad much as running them full range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis