Speaker configuration for basement

A

asharpe225

Enthusiast
Hello. I am new to Audioholics but not to Home Theater. My previous setup was outdated but still works.
Here is my old equipment list:
Onkyo Tx-DS555 - can not read some of the newer audio formats and I wanted Dolby Atmos/DTS:X.
Fisher STV-410M (2) Fronts
Infinity RS1 (2) Surrounds
Infinity CC1 Center Channel
Infinity BU80 Down Firing Sub

I had to move my Home Theater system to my basement but the layout is not ideal. I am trying to setup a 5.2.2 system. I purchased new equipment on Black Friday.

Here is my equipment list:
Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver
Klipsch R-26F (2) Fronts (1/2 price $175.00 each)
Onkyo SKH-410 Dolby Atmos Up Firing Speakers (@ 1/2 price - $84.00 on a trip to Japan)
Klipsch R-15M (2) Surrounds (1/2 price $125.00)
Infinity CC1 Center Channel - From previous 5.1 system
Klipsch R-10SW Front Firing Sub (1/2 price $175.00)
Infinity BU80 Down Firing Sub - From previous 5.1 system -I might replace this sub in the future.

My biggest problem is with the Surrounds. See Picture below

upload_2016-7-30_11-33-59.png

The room sizes are doubled. So the room is about 13 X 13 X 8 from back wall to the TV to ceiling. Behind the TV are the stairs to go up to the main level. The space behind the glass table (which can be removed but that would leave no tables in the room) is not usable. I had to add it to show the bump out.

There are a few things that I don't like/missing in the picture
  • The TV is not centered for the room.
  • The Surrounds are not aligned with the Fronts.
  • The Surrounds are currently on small bookshelves but will be mounted on the back wall
  • The open space near the glass table
  • (MISSING) Bannister behind the Sub next to the Left Front. The wall goes out about to the end of the Sub
  • (MISSING) 2nd Sub. I will probably put it under the Left Surround near the couch.
  • (MISSING) Armoire in the cutout but it can be moved.
  • (MISSING) Stereo Equipment under the center speaker.
Questions:
  1. If I mount the left Surround on the wall above the sofa, and let my receiver calibrate for the distance, will this work?
  2. Take the TV off the wall, put it on a stand with a mount, and move it where Sub is now?
  3. #2 + Move the Left Front over next to the cutout to center it in the room?
  4. or #2 + Move the Left Surround to the back wall and let my receiver calibrate for the distance?
  5. Move the Left Surround to the back wall and let my receiver calibrate for the distance
  6. Should I just leave it the way it is?
The system sounds really good in my opinion. I just want it to sound as good as it can.

All responses will be appreciated.

A

asharpe225

Enthusiast
I know this question has been asked in other threads, but I wanted advice on my situation in regards to the room layout.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your receiver should compensate for distance of the surround speakers, so I wouldn't worry about that. As far as all your placement questions, just get things as close to what this post recommends as possible. That is the best you can do. One thing I would think about is getting a matching center channel speaker to the front stage, so try to replace the Infinity center with the Klipsch R-25C center speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis