Speaker Choice and Placement - Klipsch RF7/RC64

M

MY99 2.5GT

Audioholic Intern
I just purchased a set of RF7s and an RC64 center channel for placement in my 16' x 21' family room with 9' ceilings. We are still in the process of building the house so wiring is not in place yet.

In preparation for a 7.1 setup I would like suggestions on which speakers in the Klipsch Reference line would be best to place in the right/left surround position as well as the right/left rear position.

Im strongly considering a combination of the RB81 (8" Bookshelf) and RS62 (dual 6.5" Bi-pole). If I went with this configuration should the Bi-poles handle the Surround right/left channel duties or the Rear right/left?

Would it be better to go with 2 sets of RB81's to handle both the surround and rear channel duties? Or on the oposite end, would it better to go with two sets fo Bi-poles for both the surround and rear duties?

Second to last question, for now :) I am planning to position the center channel at the same height as the tweeter of the RF7's. Should I also mount the surround and rear channel speakers at that same level?

Last question, should the surround right and left speakers be placed in line with seating position or slightly behind?

Sorry for all the questions in a single post but they all interweave and depend on each other.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Brad

R

robc1976

Audioholic
I just purchased a set of RF7s and an RC64 center channel for placement in my 16' x 21' family room with 9' ceilings. We are still in the process of building the house so wiring is not in place yet.

In preparation for a 7.1 setup I would like suggestions on which speakers in the Klipsch Reference line would be best to place in the right/left surround position as well as the right/left rear position.

Im strongly considering a combination of the RB81 (8" Bookshelf) and RS62 (dual 6.5" Bi-pole). If I went with this configuration should the Bi-poles handle the Surround right/left channel duties or the Rear right/left?

Would it be better to go with 2 sets of RB81's to handle both the surround and rear channel duties? Or on the oposite end, would it better to go with two sets fo Bi-poles for both the surround and rear duties?

Second to last question, for now :) I am planning to position the center channel at the same height as the tweeter of the RF7's. Should I also mount the surround and rear channel speakers at that same level?

Last question, should the surround right and left speakers be placed in line with seating position or slightly behind?

Sorry for all the questions in a single post but they all interweave and depend on each other.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Brad
I would actually consider a 9.1 audyssey dsx or even a 7.1 DSX system. Most 7.1 systems have S.back speakers wich are basiically useless because you never hear them. Audyssey DSX lets you wither pick either height speakers or wide speakers (wides give you a bit more impact) or both if your reciever supports it. Keep in mind to use A-DSX your reciever must support it. what this does (short version) is ables all 5.1 content to be heard in 7.1, 9.1 or 11.1 (via pre-amp for 11.1...agin useleess because S.back is used).I have 9.1 (soon to be 9.2) and I use only klipsch reference. For your surrounds go with the RB-61II....you could go with RB-81II but the RB-61II are better because they are easier to hang and sound exactly the same...I had both. RB-51II would not mach up at all with that center and mains. Your surrounds should be 110 degrees about 4-6 feet behind you, and 2-3 feet above the listeners head, I also suggest you use Auralex mo-pads under them. I would noot suggest bipoles, direct firing is much better IMHO.

My system consists of:

Fronts: RF-82II
Wides: RF-82II
Heights: RB-61II
Center: RC-64II
Surrounds: RB-61II
AVR: 4311Ci

Here is a pic of my system (surrounds not pictured)

Pic of right side so you can see surround placement:

nezff

nezff

Junior Audioholic
The RS should be used as your surrounds. They have the Wide Dispersion Technology. This is what they are made for. The RBs are a direct radiating speaker, you could use these in the rear.

R

robc1976

Audioholic
The RS should be used as your surrounds. They have the Wide Dispersion Technology. This is what they are made for. The RBs are a direct radiating speaker, you could use these in the rear.
Agreed, but in alarge room I found I really disliked them....but in my Dads smaller room they sounded good. Could just be my ears to.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis