speaker calibration/Home theater help

D

dive1983

Audiophyte
Hi I am new to this. Let me describe my set up. Reciever: Sony STR DH 710 Front left and right speakers: SonySSF6000 Center: Sony timber matched to front Left/right surround: POLK FXI A4 No surround back. I have an SPL meter I can match the front 3 speakers almost perfectly with the meter set to 80db but the polk are registering way below the fronts ( On the reciever, my polk levels are at max and still registering below my fronts. I'm not sure the exact number but almost -8 on the spl meter when everything else is at 0). The speakers are wired correctly. Any ideas as to why. Is the reciever broken? Would a newer reciever help? When I am listening to surround movies the effects are hard to hear. Unless I am expecting more from surrounds than they are actually producing? Please advise. Thanks

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Published sensitivity of the 2 speakers is close, (Sony = 89dB, Polk = 88dB), so I don't suppose that is the problem. Perhaps it is your room or relative placement. If you already have the surrounds maxed out, try lowering your L/C/R. See if that will bring them more in line w/ each other. Are you using the same speaker wire to all speakers?

D

dive1983

Audiophyte
Also a note I have all my speakers measured out distance exact. Approx. 7ft all around from my main seating position

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis