Speaker Cables connectors

K

Kenwatch

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I would like to know your opinion regarding which connector would be the best for the speaker cables. I always was under impression that the connector wich has more contact surface would give me the best connection. Is it so or not ?</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Bare wire is the best. &nbsp;But I don't think most decent quality connectors would have any negative effect on performance.
I use Dayton banana plugs from Partsexpress.com. &nbsp;They work great and are cheap. &nbsp;Spades are good to but, &nbsp;be careful because some of today's receivers that have about a million inputs on the back don't give you much room for spades. &nbsp;I have seen some receiver backs where it would be impossible to use spades. &nbsp;I only use banana plugs because the space behind my receiver is kindof tight and I can connect/disconnect by feel with the bananas. &nbsp; &nbsp;

Shinerman</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Kenwatch : <font color='#000000'>I would like to know your opinion regarding which connector would be the best for the speaker cables. I always was under impression that the connector wich has more contact surface would give me the best connection. Is it so or not ?</font>
<font color='#000000'>IMO, quality connectors accomplish two things:

(1) Gives a finishing touch to the cable
(2) Helps prevent corrosion to the cable ends

Some companies will tell you that connector will give you greater surface-contact area thus facilitating better signal transfer. &nbsp;I think it's hype.

If you don't care about aesthetics, just &quot;tin&quot; the ends of the wire with solder to keep it from fraying and corrosion.</font>

Blatz

Audiophyte
What about RCA connectors?

:confused: If I wanted to tin the receiver side of the wire and put a male RCA plug on the wallplate side to connect to my in-wall home speaker wiring? Do I risk any electrical fire hazzard or signal loss or anything?

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Blatz said:
:confused: If I wanted to tin the receiver side of the wire and put a male RCA plug on the wallplate side to connect to my in-wall home speaker wiring? Do I risk any electrical fire hazzard or signal loss or anything?
As long as you have a good conenction to the RCA plug you should be fine. I think you can actually buy speakers wires with RCA type plugs on them. Just be sure the RCA plug creates a good snug fit onto any binding post they may be plugged into. That actually may be an issue, I've never tried it before.

Shinerman

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
If you're going to use connectors, I think that the best are binding post/banana plugs. They give the most contact over pin type connectors. As always, bare wire is best.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis