Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm looking to upgrade my speakers, most likely surrounds and center first then when money is a bit more plentiful get a decent set of fronts. This probably seams like a bassackward plan but my reasoning is such;
My listening is 60/40 music/movies. My current fronts are more than adaquate for musical and movie reproduction. (Old Technics)
My surrounds, although a bargain at the time, (Onkyo) do not provide justice to my Yamaha 1500.
The flaw in my plan unfortunately is I need to decide on fronts well before buying them in order to keep everything matched.
I realize the idea of brightness has been somewhat debated here but to me it is a reality, not just one that is subject to room treatments and EQ adjustments. I've almost completely eliminated from my list the Klipsh line. I've heard the several times thru a 1500 and would call the combination harsh rather than bright.
I really love the clarity of my Yamaha but I feel that it is more than any brand succeptable to a bad speaker pairing.
As I said the clarity of my 1500 is great but I like bass. I listen to rock music, ACDC, Soundgarden, Audioslave, (Krokus anyone?). I need a speaker that can perform well in Pure Direct mode, No Sub woofer. I don't want speakers that will scorch my ears with treble, but I want one that will match up well with the Yamaha clarity.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Check out Yamaha's own NS-555/777 with matching NS-333 for surround and NS-444C. For the sub, check out Yamaha YST-SW-315. Give all these an audition attached to the RXV-1500.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I wish i could find a place to give the Yamahas a listen. No one around here seems to carry them. The price is definately tempting but honestly I have yet to find a Jap tower speaker that impresses me. I have no doubt that they sound better than their Sony or Pioneer counter parts but I'm curious how well they compare to the American or Canadian companies.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
The Yamaha NS-300 and NS8HX blows speakers from Canton, Paradigm, B&W etc. The NS-777 are not that high end and yet have super accurate sound, try Tweeters or BB, they both carry them.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
NS8HX is beyond my budget. NS-300? Yamaha must have discontinued this one?
I'll check again at BB but I don't think the ones around here have the 777's or 555's. This is just Wisconsin here, you can prctically buy beer and cheese at the library. Audio equipment is a much scarcer commodity.

Thanks for the info.

The low effeciency and 6 ohm factor worry me Yamahaluver. If you don't mind me asking; what does your system consist of? Are you running the 777's?

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
I have a pair of NS-300 and Yamahaluver is right. Those speakers are very accurate, have a very good soundstage and have the sweetest highs that i've ever heard in a sub $1,000 pr. speakers, i just love the way the cymbals sound. Maybe you could get one pair for less than $500 at ebay.

I also liked a lot the Energy Connoisseur C-5, but they were out of my budget.

The efficiency of the Yamaha speakers is generally acceptable (my NS-300 are 91db) and the impedance is very stable. Don't worry, your Yammie 1500 would handle the speakers very well.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I checked BB today. No Yamaha 555's or 777's. Sucks to be me. I guess my major concern with these Yamaha speakers is the possibility that while they may be great for movies they'll lack the balls to stand up on their own without a sub for music.
By the way, at this point no NS-300 anywhere. Not even Ebay!
I just realized I really didn't give a budget. I definitely need to stay sub $1000 for the fronts. Sub $800 preferably.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis